Enough magic to have an effect? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Enough magic to have an effect?

Hey I was toying with my lists and wanted to try throwing sigvald into my army and see how he fairs. My army has a lot of foot sloggers and I initally had strong magic. With adding in siggy I cant have a sorcerer lord and was curious if anyone had any input on how two Lvl 1 nurgle scroll caddies work.

These guys should stop the magic game with 4 scrolls and 4 DD a turn. And on top of that being able to snipe out characters is just a great ability. My question is whether or not these two casters are enough to acctually get the bubboes spell off. I mean two dice will get it more than 80% of the time I believe but Im asking more for not getting them dispelled. Scrolls will obviously stop them for a turn or two but after that Dispell Dice could easily stop two spells using two dice each.

I was thinking about making the two caddies level 2 so they can throw three dice at the spell to make it harder to dispell with DD. What do you guys think. Is the extra 70 points gonna make em a lot more effective? And are these two guys worth really taking or is this much magic too little to take and be effective with either way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

This

This may not go down so well but I would sincerely recommend that you try it and see. There are plenty of times when you will see a certain combo which looks great on paper but which is terrible in practice, or vice-versa. The dual sniper caddies is a nice idea but magic is part of the whole game and so you will need to evaluate your idea in the context of your whole army.

You may, for example, find that Sigvald attracts so much in the way of enemy resources that your sorcerers have more of a free hand...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

No experience with that in particular, but just from a gaming standpoint, I think you will once in a while get a spell through from a sorcerer, due to luck as much as anything. But two lvl 1's will be there mainly to stop magic from getting through via scrolls and dispel dice.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about scrolls, is that you can only use em once. they're meant to be used in that situation of "I must stop this no matter what!" or "I'd rather not risk rolling that many DD".

The thing is, you only have 4 dd in a game that is at least 2000 points....that isn't that many. You'll chew through your scrolls at a fast pace from MM fire with that few, and your going to be in serious trouble against armies where taking magic defense isn't an option, like lizzies and VC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

So should I replace the scrolls with offensive items? I just thought the 4 DD and 4 scrolls could save me long enough for the first few turns til I get in combat. Burn em early before I get in combat and when I get there I shouldnt need as much magic def.

Also with them being nurgle my other form of magic defense was gonna be just sniping down enemy wizards.

My main goal here is to have some decent magic phases out of two level two casters and to try to stop the enemy magic from hurting me at the same time. Any pointers on how to do this better than my current idea?

This is another idea I have that may be more effective. Take two level 2 MoT sorcerers and give one a spell familiar. They can spew out some strong magic missiles and you will have a 66% chance of getting pandemonium which will easily be cast with 2-3 dice whichever you want. Would that be better you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your plan, but unfortunatly all magic is not missle. there are plenty of spells out there that your going to need to stop that aren't actually going to come in the first three turns.

I'd say that it would be best to stick with the wizard lord. While I hate to exclude such a characterful (and incredibly handsome) lord from an army, I have to say he sounds like an indulgence that your struggling to find ways to afford.

Keep him for a really high point game.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

4 dispel dice isn't that bad at 2000pts, 4 Scolls is probably over the top but try it and see. If you can chuck the collar of Khorne on say an Exalted champion as your 4th charatcer that will help you out in the magic denfence, especially against annoying little spells that you don't want to burn a scroll on.

As for offence, two spells that are easy to cast on 2 dice will eventually start to take a toll. But against anyone who's gone heavy magic, don't expect your 4 power dice to get anywhere fast.

So....
    Most annoying 'little' spells generally need line of sight. You can sacrifice a unit of hounds to block lines of sight to your expensive units and deny your opponent the kills he needs to do with his magic. You could probably save the points from one sorcerer and invest in some units of hounds to go wizard hunting and block those lines of sight. 1 scroll caddy and some Magic res on your your expensive unit will usually see you through.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sdefreit View Post
    So should I replace the scrolls with offensive items? I just thought the 4 DD and 4 scrolls could save me long enough for the first few turns til I get in combat. Burn em early before I get in combat and when I get there I shouldnt need as much magic def.
    This is what I do as a Wood Elf player. 4 dice, 4 scrolls, close to combat on turn 3 or 4 (or 5 for me) where most magic isn't effective. Though vampfan is right, there are spells out there that can be cast into combat, but I think they're still relatively few.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a cavalry heavy force, having 4DD and 4 dispel dice is (theoretically) enough since everyone will be in combat by turn 2 at the latest. Like David said, there are spells that can be cast into combat but there are not a lot of them and 4 scrolls/DD can take care of it.

In a fast army, it could work, but not so sure on a foot-slogger army, I think its better to go PD heavy. You're going to go into combat by turn 3 at the earliest, those scrolls may not be enough to stop spells by that time. Worth a try, but unlikely.

In any army more than 2000pts, 4PD won't go anywhere. Heck most army I see has 4DD at the minimum, so 4PD is more likely to be dead in the water even before attempting to cast a spell.
    Currently building my poor-hammer WoC army.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree w/ black- my current army is an all cav army if I am not in combat by turn 2 or have the game HEAVILY in my favor by turn 3 the game is in serious trouble- I am currently running 2 lvl 1’s- a dp and a sorcerer. The 2 scrolls and 4 dd have been more than plenty- but infantry is really slow- I would run a lvl 4 on a disc just for the extra threat he will place on the army- rather than an equally slow gen. in my opinion sigvald is too slow- ignoring terrain or no- he will place no threat on your opponent until turn 3 or 4- by that time most of my army has engaged my opponent and has run rampant through their ranks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast