Fighting High Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting High Elves

Hey guys! I need some advice about fighting High Elves.

I'm playing a 1000 pts game against high elves tonight.

What should I field/equip? Sorcerers vs Exalted Heroes. Marauders vs Warriors. Etc.

Oh, and I don't have any Trolls, Dragon Ogres, Ogres or Hellcannon.

Any tip on strategy is welcome

"How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will have at least 1 RBT, probably 1-2 mages, lots of spearmen and probably some elite infantry and archers.

try and fit 2 units of nurgle knights into the list and you'll be pretty golden, mark of nurgle on your troops and halberds/great weapons on everything for needing 2's to wound everything

They may hit first but it's more of an open handed slap really, not too much to be scared of!
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I am actually going to feel dirty doing this being a High Elf player, but here we go.

Hurtinator is right. Our normal spearmen will bounce off of your troops like they aren't attacking. However swordmasters and white lions will smash you back harder than you hit in most cases, so I suggest flanking them, or hitting them with chariots if you get the chance.

No mark of Khorne either. If it is a good High Elf player, he/she will be leading you round by the nose with a eagle by the end of turn one, allowing the shooting to whittle you down to a mere annoyance.

Impact hits will do you wonders, as they strike before asf, and normal warriors with shields will last forever. Protect your flanks, and make sure you have warhounds to rank up infront of your troops to protect you from shooting and you will be golden.

Best of luck

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember though that high elf starting strength is 3, meaning even sword masters only have strength 5, however, do whitelions have strength 6? I believe so, anyways yes, chariots will help alot too, even more so in combination charges with units of knights.
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like others have said, chaos warriors with MoN will be a huge help

white lions are indeed nasty with strength 6, and even swordmasters are pretty rough with their high weapon skill (6's versus most of our WS 5's, even though nurgle helps this its still a 4 to hit)

one unit of chaos knights with MoN and Banner of Rage seems to do well as long as you stick it in the middle of your army, where it will be much more difficult to bait around.

Marauder footmen seem to only do decent if you make a tarpit with decent unit strength, MoN and I usually go swoard and board and light armor with them. They aren't there to kill just to hold. I like to throw a cheap hero in just incase they don't go up against anything he has to challenge against, he can generate some nice static CR

chariots, as others have mentioned are good

I would avoid marauder horsemen almost all together unless you know he is not taking much shooting, as they will be hard pressed to make it back to his warmachines or flanks without taking a panic test, unless you take them in larger units than 5, which is probably a waste.

Against high elves I would not screen with hounds, if the high elf player is smart they will just let the hounds live and force them to be in your way. Your units marked with Nurgle will have to be tough enough to make it there.

Magic will kind of be a toss up at that points level, if he brings 2 mages with high magic you might be hard pressed to stop the drain magic spell with a single mage. Myself, I would not invest any points into mages at 1k.

I'd reccomend:

1 unit of 12ish Warriors with MoN, Halberds and Shields - these are good hammers and anvils.
    1 Decent sized Marauder Block with MoN and maybe a Hero
    1 unit of Knights with MoN and Banner of Rage - this is your major hammer
    1 Chariot of Chaos - another good hammer

there would probably be points left for another chariot or maybe a bare bones scroll caddy

with high elves you can count on some small units as their troops are expensive like ours, but also be prepared for an army that wont need to charge you to win, and with the case of their spearmen, they would probably rather not charge as they get 3 ranks defensively, or 2 ranks if they charge....either striking first, so its a no brainer for them to let you charge them unless its a chariot.

you will have to bring the fight to them early and often, as if they have any shooting it will be more than you have.

good luck, with their low toughness they don't appear to be hard to handle, but army-wide ASF can be rough if they max out on special troops and their high weaponskill / magic item combos can be particularly nasty. Against a comptent general I have found them to be a rough match-up for chaos mortals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot you all!
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

+ Reply to Thread