Hatred vs. Father of Blades - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hatred vs. Father of Blades

How does Hatred interact with Father of Blades?

Hatred says that you "re-roll any misses" in the first round of combat. Father of Blades says that 1s "instead hits the attacking model." My DE friend thinks he should be able to re-roll these. I think its pretty clear that he hit (himself), and did not miss. Therefore he cannot re-roll.

Thoughts?

"Chaos cares not for self-preservation, for reason, or for truth. The essence of Chaos is Change..." -Teclis
    Tzeentch: Change You Can Believe In.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I think you'd dice off each round of combat. Kind of sucks, but I don't see a clear resolution. If pushed, I'd say it's his second roll that counts, but that seems iffy, too.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems obvious to me that you do not, in fact, re-roll a roll of 1.

The wording is absolutely clear - Hatred allows you to re-roll misses. That's it just misses. Not attacks that hit someone else. Not any attack you want, not anything else. Attacks that miss. Father of Blades says that attacks instead hit the attacking model. Therefore they do not miss. Therefore you can not re-roll them.

I will admit I come from a game system that has a much tighter rule set than Fantasy, but in my mind there is absolutely no wiggle room at all. Your friend hits himself in the face.
    Trust in your core choices - love them, hate them, wish them dead to clear charges, but remember that come end they will pull off a miracle for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with raverrn on this one, he hit himself, end of story.
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by raverrn View Post
    It seems obvious to me that you do not, in fact, re-roll a roll of 1.

The wording is absolutely clear - Hatred allows you to re-roll misses. That's it just misses. Not attacks that hit someone else. Not any attack you want, not anything else. Attacks that miss. Father of Blades says that attacks instead hit the attacking model. Therefore they do not miss. Therefore you can not re-roll them.

I will admit I come from a game system that has a much tighter rule set than Fantasy, but in my mind there is absolutely no wiggle room at all. Your friend hits himself in the face.
    That's a good rendering. I'd buy that argument.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I have a brother that played DE and I played WoC so this comes up. A roll of a 1 does not miss, it is actually re directed by the power of the father of blades to its opponent. Any 2s he rolls he can re rolls. But it says a roll of a one HITS the attacker, hence no re roll. Thankfully that's first round of combat. So he cannot spring that hatred crap on you next round, if there is one.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with that, too. The attack actually hits the model itself, and isn't a "miss".

Although one could argue that the attack missed its target and hit another. But... the rule that allows the re-roll doesn't state that it must miss its target. So case closed... until this is FAQed.
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

+ Reply to Thread