Spawns? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawns?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spawns?

Ok, I was fooling around with the banner of the gods, and solid units who could take a punch, but now i'm looking for another way out.

I looked at the rapturous standard and i'm willing to give that a try, but my eyes also fell on the spawn.

He's cheap, fast ( at least.. sometimes )and unbreakable. Though, his statline isn't that fantastic and with random movement it might be hard using him to pin down an enemy.

Does anyone have any experiance using the spawn? Is he worth it, yes or no, and how many are needed to work

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used them as flank protectors and yes they are very worth it, especially if you mark them as slaanesh. I use two, either together up one flank or one on each flank depending on who I'm up against. Very fun and Very effective at holding your enemy down until you can get a hammer into position to flank them.

Rapturous standard is I think our best banner, add a BSB to that unit and the chances og rolling either a 1 or doubles of any kind go pretty high, especially considering the fact that doubles on it's own is a 33% chance with 2D6 you can imagine the possibilities.
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Slaanesh Spawns are a good pin unit, but with the random move they can be a flop as much as they succeed. They also are the closest thing we have to skirmishers as far as charging goes (thanks GW). The ASF is nice to keep them alive as pinners, but the random attacks can make them flop (and then die) in this regard as well. E.g. 3 S4 attacks at WS3 can very easily kill nothing in all but the flimsiest infantry.

Long story short, when moving and attacking well, they shine for 75 points. When they don't... well, it's kinda like having stupid trolls hang out punching each other in your deployment zone all game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtinator View Post
    Rapturous standard is I think our best banner, add a BSB to that unit and the chances og rolling either a 1 or doubles of any kind go pretty high, especially considering the fact that doubles on it's own is a 33% chance with 2D6 you can imagine the possibilities.
    It's actually 1/6 of getting a double, so roughly 17%. Add in the "any roll of a 1" and you have 4/9 chances of passing. With a BSB near, you're in good shape.
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

i use 2 naked spawns in my 1k list right now, and even though i haven't played many games with them...i think their awesome.

sure i've seen them get a 2" movement...sure i've seen them get 2 attacks and loose combat, thus loosing all their wounds because their unbreakeble...

then again...i've also seen them sprint over the battlefield, strike enemie gladeriders with everything they had and winning combat some times.

the thing is, their the closest thing we have to a skirmisher unit...and with thier high thoughness, most things cannot kill it in 1 turn. are you not annoyed by that 1 eagle behing your lines, marchblocking everything? are you not annoying by that block of infantry that's going to flank your warriors while you attack the main battleline? are you not annoyed by the fast cav that completely avoids your line and comes up behind you?
    Spawns are perfect in these situations. 360 degrees of charge directions is very handy when you're fighting someone that outmanouvres you...and since you're playing chaos mortals...there are alot of these army's.

I have not tried them in lager games, but up too 1k, i will use them any time.

vid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t forget Scylla, too. His 3d6 move makes all the difference in the world. All the other advantages of Scylla have been posted in other threads; I will not repeat them all here. But, as far as charging goes, Scylla will do a much better job
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i know, though i never use special characters

Anyway, thanks for the info. ill run 2 of these "babies" next game

HK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vidrian View Post
    i
    sure i've seen them get a 2" movement...sure i've seen them get 2 attacks and loose combat, thus loosing all their wounds because their unbreakeble...
    I think you have your unbreakable rules mixed up. In 40k, Unbreakable works like VC, TK, and Daemons unbreakable/crumble.

But in Fantasy, (unless specified otherwise like for Daemons, VC, and TK) it just means you auto-pass your break test. No losing wounds for losing combat, it just acts like you roll Insane Courage every time, all the time.

That alone is why spawns are good. They can hold up units forever, especially high static CR, low damage units.
    "Chaos cares not for self-preservation, for reason, or for truth. The essence of Chaos is Change..." -Teclis
    Tzeentch: Change You Can Believe In.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Naedre View Post
    But in fantasy, (Unbreakable) just means you auto-pass your break test. No losing wounds for losing combat, it just acts like you roll Insane Courage every time, all the time.

That alone is why spawns are good. They can hold up units forever, especially high static CR, low damage units.
    And that is why slaanesh shines on a spawn... ASF will usually kill a large number of the attacks coming back at him. T5 with 3 wounds is resilient, but not unkillable for most rank and file. Kill those attacks before they get a chance to swing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I think you have your unbreakable rules mixed up. In 40k, Unbreakable works like VC, TK, and Daemons unbreakable/crumble.
    son of a bitch roommate! he had me take extra wounds every time!
    now spawns are even more awesome!

Vid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast