Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey everybody, I want to propose a plan so we can help consolidate the information we have gathered by playing with the new book so that both new players and competitive players can work together and make our book the powerhouse we all know it is.
Now the Idea here is that we simply post the best combinations of things we learned through playing and post them here, no critiques, no saying "that’s a terrible idea because of x y and z," This is just a chance for the community to brainstorm and throw the stuff together so that we can make a second threads later with "The Most Competitive 2250" and "Awesome Troll Combo Army."
I’ll start with just a few I hear thrown around a lot:
Remember the point of this is to share with the community the combinations that win you games so that we can all build off everyone’s experience. (Please just post combinations)
- 5 Marauder Horsemen MoK, Flails (Possibly LA): A cheap “cruse missile” point and kill
- 5 Knights MoT, Banner, Blasted Banner: Giving knights a 4+ ward can really save from cannons.
- 5 Knights MoN, Banner, Banner of Rage: Perhaps the most powerful way to use “frenzy knights”
- Daemon Prince, MoT, LvL4 Tendrils: A flying terror causer built to throw 5 dice at Infernal Gateway aiming for IF, with a “low” chance of miscast.
I like to call this one the "Exalted Cannon"
Take one high lvl Tzeentch caster (may ofc also be the Infernal DP)
Take one caster with either the lore of shadows or the book of secrets with lore of shadows.
The spells we use:
Call to Glory (Tzeentch)
Steed of Shadows (lore of Shadows spell 1)
Cast CtG and make a Exalted hero out of a Marauder.
Cast SoS on the new Exalted and shoot him into a enemy unit.
Make with the rape.
Tips and tricks:
-The Exalted is worth 100vp, so be sure to end the RiP spell before he dies (before armour saves or something).
-He has to challenge, so make sure the enemy you want to kill can't decline/a champ can accept. Shoot him into a cavalry unit for instance, Mage hunting wil not be so effective unless they are solo.
-Use him to take out fast cavalry, flankers, flyers, warmachines.
There is a thread here (WoC Options most people overlook?) that has a few good suggestions, someone might want to grab them if we're making a list of some sort.
Trust in your core choices - love them, hate them, wish them dead to clear charges, but remember that come end they will pull off a miracle for you.
If you give your Chosen Champion the Favour of the Gods magic item you get to adjust the original Chosen roll on the EotGs chart. Very usefull for maximizing the effect you want your golden boys to have.
Also, if you run your Chosen with a Warshrine you can make your Champion grow by giving the unit great weapons and the Champion the Helm of Many Eyes. If you give the unit MoK you can have the Champion slam down 5 (3 attacks base + 1 from MoK + 1 from EotGs) ASF S7 (S4 base + 2 from GW and +1 from Warshrine EotGs roll) attacks. That's just nasty in a challenge when you have WS6 to start with.
When equipping your Warriors remember that you can give them a number of different items, for example both Halberd and Shield. They can't use them together but before you enter a combat you decide which weapon you want to use to beat that specific opponent. For example, if you enter combat with High Elves Swordmasters you might want to be defensive and use the shield, but if you fights Dwarfs you might want to use the halberd to gain that extra strength to go through their armour and high toughness and still use your superior initiative. The Great Weapon choice is also good when fighting Dwarves, because they often use great weapons and thus you strike in initative order ;-)
Last edited by Mr_Wayne; April 2nd, 2009 at 22:37.
"The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"
- Using 2 Spawn is a great way to hold a forested side of the table from skirmishers who they normally outclass in stats.
- Ive found that Chaos Chariots do well, even when unmarked, but tend to do AWESOME when used in pairs to join charge targets.
- 4 DOgres can be used in 2 useful ways, with Xhandweapons and used as extra wound knights, or with Gweapons due to their already low innitiave, and have a fair chance of hurting things like a Bloodthirster/WarAalter/Steamtank
- A MoN Sorc tends to be the best "Support" caster that ive found you can run : A Sorc MoN, lvl1, with PowerFam/orBook and Scroll for only 155 pts.
- A SorcLord of Slannish can be a very very powerful caster, you want to stay away from the lower level Slan Sorcs due to their most powerful spell being Estatic Seasures. A very fun combo is to use a Sorc lord and a Nurgle Sorc as you backup, if you happend to get Curse of the Leper, you can kill entire squads pretty easily. (It may be worth bringing Festus as your backup to ensure this combo)
Tzeentch knights with Blasted standard is one of my favorite units, they have a decent chance of survivng a shooting or magic missile oriented phase, and they alone can crush what they charge. Nurgle knights with banner of rage is what My brother uses, though he adds lances, that many S6 attacks usually means there is no second combat phase to hit at S4. Khorne knights with Lances and perhaps Blasted standard is also deadly, though i have seen them do well without a banner. You do have to get them in close though.
Chosen with a hcampion that has Favour of the gods is very nice as you have 2-3 choices to choose from. I don't know if you can augement it to get stupidity or the eye is closed so you can role again. Still a good idea though. I tried a Khorne lord on juggy with armor of morrisleb and crown of everlasting conquest (regeneration) took 5 single shot bolt throwers to down him. A level 2 sorcerer with power familiar and book of secrets significantly boots him to a level 4 wizard as far as power dice. You can even put him on a disc as tzeentch and opt for lore of fire as well as flickering fire, fly around to the enemy units flank or rear, blast it. Rinse and repeat.
If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.