Welcome to Librarium Online!
So I was wondering, is it possible to make a competitive WoC list without using Chaos Warriors or Knights or Chosen i.e. anything in Chaos Armour (exc Lords and Heroes)?
I'm looking at building a 2500 list for a themed campaign so any thoughts on useful units would be appreciated
its called a monster list.
Throgg and the DragonOgre character + much DragonOgres and trolls.
Some Giants or Shaggoths for rare choice and you have a scary army
Try the Troll/Dragon Ogre Army with Throgg and Kholek.
With Throgg Troll become core.
Use Dragon Ogres instead of Knights.
Use Kholek as your Lord and throw in 2 Shaggoths. Thats one nasty army. Should work really well at 2500 pts.
---------- Post added at 229 ---------- Previous post was at 229 ----------
Hey maximus, you beat me to it by one minute. Great minds think alike.
"The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"
Ok since you guys are talking about monster lists and Mr Wayne has said to use some shaggoths my question is why?
When looking point for point I think that a unit of 3 DOs with GWs are better and cheaper. They have a ton more wounds and attacks and the disadvantages they have dont seem like much. Shaggoths work great but whats better, 2 shaggoths or 7 DOs?
I was considering this type of army as well and had the same question concerning Shaggoths vs. Dragon Ogres. Let's look at the differences.
1) Dragon Ogres have a lower WS. This will only affect opponents with WS 4 and 5 but it could mean a few more misses for the DO.
2) DO have -1 strength. However, with great weapons they can get to a STR 7 so they will still be able to chariot hunt and wound pretty much everything on 2+. Shaggoths can get up to STR 8 which will only matter if going against T 6 things, so there is some utility there but not alot.
3) DO have lower toughness and wounds. They have the same armor so the DO will be wounded easier. This means that after suffering 4 wounds the Shaggoth still has its full complement of attacks while the unit of DO has lost some of its potential. However 2 DO still have more attacks than a Shaggoth so that may be a moot point.
4) Shaggoths have +1 LD. However DO have Will of Chaos while Shaggoths do not. So this is pretty close to a wash although I think re-roll LD 8 is better than LD 9.
5) Shaggoths are a large target. Since neither unit has ranged weapons I would consider this a negative for the Shaggoth.
6) DO Fear vs. Shaggoth Terror and ITP. I don't think this will have too much effect. Shaggoths cannot flee and DO will be affected by Terror. These situations will not come up very often.
Edit: (Also DO can be panicked by wounds via missle fire. With a re-rollable 8 I don't think this will occur very often but it does tip a bit more towards the Shaggoths favor.)
7) Lastly, DO will come in units of 3+ and Shaggoths are single. This could mean that against very small units or single models the DO cannot get all of their attacks in. I don't see this coming up very often but it is a difference so should be noted.
So, if we take a look at it we see: I would say that #1 and 7 are in the Shaggoths favor, #4 and 5 in the DO favor, and #2, 3, and 6 are pretty much a draw. It looks to me that they are pretty equal so it would come down to situaltional things to make your decision. Do you have the Rare/Special slots available? Do you face lots of Dragons/Greater Daemons? Do you want to purchase/convert/paint 3 DO or 1 Shaggoth? Fluff considerations?
Seems to me six of one half-dozen of the other. Choose the ones you like best.
What about a marauder heavy army? WoC as a horde army allows for viscious magic or combat characters armed to the teeth and tons of support units. Warriors, knights and chosen are really, really expensive so you could really pack a lot of bodies in a list without them.
The sheer numbers and mark of slanesh can deal with most psychology issues.
The cheaper troops also allow to splurge on characters a bit more. Most people only take 3 characters, so you could easily have 4 in this type of army.
Last edited by buckero0; April 9th, 2009 at 16:01.
yeah same as pretty much everyone else throgg and the suneater.
loads of trolls and dragon ogres.
suneater is really hard but at 605 points he should be.
plus warhounds to sheild your none large target units.
and maybe a scary hellcannon if you want abit of fun.
This army is very cool but it will cost alot of pennies.
peace out spud
you could always use a merauder list and use the forgeworld chaos warmamoth.
Please don't cut me at the knees short scary giner person with a beard.