Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help

This may be a kind of log post, but I'm in need of some help pretty badly.
    My friend just picked up High Elves, that's not the problem so much but rather how well he plays the army and his list. Every time I play him he manages to get a massacre, and almost wiped me earlier today even.

He plays with 3 bolt throwers on hills and a squad of archers. Which on its own wouldn't be the problem but he brings an Archmage as well with the book that all doubles except 1s are unimaginable force, or whatever..I always get that term messed up.

Anyways, the problem is that I can't ever get to him, if I did I know I'd have some way to mess him up. So for the veteran players can I get a little advice on how to deal with his army? And for a good lord build since mine just got shot.

I'm open to any kind of list as long as I have the models. I have 40 chaos warriors, 40 marauders 10 chaos knights, 5 marauder horsemen, 20 chaos warhounds, and a warshrine. please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tongue + the item that lets you adjust a miscast +-1 (forget the name)

Nurgle sorcerers with Buboes would be good for the archmage. A lot of players like to team two or three of them up with a sorcerer lord of Tzeench to really get some fireworks going.

Basically you could just counter magic with magic, if his whole game is based around that Archmage you should be able to mess him up pretty badly if you can kill it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Well you dont have these but you can try three level 2 MoT sorcerers on disks. You can manuver them where you want fast. They can spit out 4-5 missile attacks so they are great for taking out those whimpy bolter crews. And you can really get that archmage by casting pandemonium. Watch his double result irrisistible forces turn into miscasts.

What else is he using for his combat? Swordsmen? White Lions? Spear blocks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
    Black tongue + the item that lets you adjust a miscast +-1 (forget the name)

Nurgle sorcerers with Buboes would be good for the archmage. A lot of players like to team two or three of them up with a sorcerer lord of Tzeench to really get some fireworks going.

Basically you could just counter magic with magic, if his whole game is based around that Archmage you should be able to mess him up pretty badly if you can kill it.
    Infernal Puppet is the name.

Go with what you know is good against magic.

Collar of Khorne at MR(2) is awesome.

You CAN block HE magic, just adjust your list to it.
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rolled pandemonium and I didn't get the chance for most of my magic to go off during the game...mainly because he had so much magic defense. He has a block of spearmen and a block of swordmasters, along with two lion chariots, and an eagle

and it wasn't high elf magic I had the problem with it was the lore of metal, killed my two blocks of knights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBludgen View Post
    I rolled pandemonium and I didn't get the chance for most of my magic to go off during the game...mainly because he had so much magic defense. He has a block of spearmen and a block of swordmasters, along with two lion chariots, and an eagle

and it wasn't high elf magic I had the problem with it was the lore of metal, killed my two blocks of knights
    Well, tell him he's got an illegal army.
    3 Bolt Throwers. thats 2 rare choices. He can't have that eagle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well at 2250 I know they have more rares than chaos do and chaos has 2...
    and even if it is illegal I don't mind, I just want to find a way to beat down these stupid high elves.
    Because I know I'm gonna play someone else in the future that plays them and I would like to know
    how to beat them
    Last edited by SirBludgen; May 6th, 2009 at 04:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Where does he keep the archmage? HE struggle at protecting their casters. You could run a hero on a disk and charge him.

This could work but could be expensive.

Go with a MoT level four caster. DP or lord whichever you like. And then two Nurgle sorcerers with scrolls. Thats 6DD and 3-4 scrolls. Scroll away that big Metal spell as long as you can. Dispel other stuff with your DD. That could be your defense, but also try to take that sucker out. He cant have that many DD and scrolls. Put heavy pressure on that archmage with bubboes. He is either going to have to stop those or gateway. If he stops bubboes then blast the crap out of his army, and if he stops gateway pick off that mage.

And as a side note:
    Make sure you are rolling for terrain and sides. There should only be one hill and if you win placing terrain dont put it in a deployment zone. And if you win choosing sides make sure he doesnt get the hill side. He wont like this but its the rules. Just because he has ranged units does not give him the right to automatically get a hill.

And I would double check on the HE rare thing. I think they get more specials but I know they still battle between eagles and bolt throwers because of limitations they have. I know you said you dont care but you cant beat people if you are going to let them bend rules left and right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try this, I plan on trying to play him either tomorrow or the day after, so I'll report back later, but keep giving me ideas please

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Yeah the HE rare are no longer 2 for 1 like they used to be but instead we get 4 rare slots, so his army is still legal.

The advice about attacking the mage is excellent, HE mages are very difficult to protect effectively and our magic defense is good but not amazing. THe guys on disks are probably a good bet as them + Marauder cavalry + Hounds + knights will give way too many targets for his bolt throwers + archers and he will only have 2 turns to shoot you to bits.

I guess it is a bit like approaching a dwarven gunline, try and overload one flank get behind them and split their fire as much as possible. If you can get across you will tear him apart.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast