Question regarding familiars - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    D34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question regarding familiars

I've never gotten this straight. Familiars are in the magic items section, so I'd think you could only have one of each type per army. But I've seen lists with multiple sorcerers using the same familiars. Is this legal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah only one right...

It's a magic item...(and not a power stone or scroll).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People break the magic items rules all the time, just look in the army list section, a lot of people give heroes 2 magic armours or give multiple duplicate magic banners (I saw one recently where the guy had 4 banners of wrath).

D34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it something people don't mind then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, Scenario time. Orcs and gobbos have a banner that gives them a rank bonus amount of dispel dice, if they gave it to all there units they would have 12-18 dispel dice at 2000 points. which is ridiculous...

Do not take duplicates of an item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't mind I have a follow-up question.

Many people here have uses the power familiar on a support sorcerer, and gives the power dice to a lvl 4 sorc. THe item description is stated like this: "The familiar adds one power dice to its owner's pool during each friendly Magic phase." It sounds like it adds a power dice to it's OWNERs pool during each phase. To me it seems rather strange (fluff-wise and game-wise) that it adds a die to the main power dice pool.

But maybe I'm wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It adds to the owners power dice not the shared dice pool. It's very clear in the description.

It is a common mistake to take duplicates of magic items...however the rulebook is very clear and it's not that hard a rule to follow...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontron View Post
    It adds to the owners power dice not the shared dice pool. It's very clear in the description.

It is a common mistake to take duplicates of magic items...however the rulebook is very clear and it's not that hard a rule to follow...
    Agreed 100% here - no excuses for having multiples of teh same magic items. Maybe if you had a special scenario where they "broke out the swords of might" or something similar then thats a different question, but otherwise its actually one of the easier army list constructors to bear in mind. i suppose it was easier when we had battle magic and there you only ever had one card for a particular magic item in the set, so you couldn't allocate the same magic item to multiple characters physcially(!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archaom View Post
    If you don't mind I have a follow-up question.

Many people here have uses the power familiar on a support sorcerer, and gives the power dice to a lvl 4 sorc. THe item description is stated like this: "The familiar adds one power dice to its owner's pool during each friendly Magic phase." It sounds like it adds a power dice to it's OWNERs pool during each phase. To me it seems rather strange (fluff-wise and game-wise) that it adds a die to the main power dice pool.

But maybe I'm wrong?
    Its owner. The wording can be misleading. The familiar's owner is the sorcerer. Not the player who owns the models...

It really add a dice to the pool of the sorcerer that paid the points for it.
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

+ Reply to Thread