Cruise Missiles or...Chariot? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Cruise Missiles or...Chariot?

Ok guys I got a question for yall. My list Im making is a foot slogger list and Im looking to make some cheap units help me stay manuverable, and act as some hammers. My initial thought was Marauder horsemen. At 105 points they are very hitty, manuverable, and give me core.

But I just had an interesting thought and Im surprised it hasnt been brought up more. For 15 more points I can grab a chariot. I know its slower and less manuverable than M. Horsemen but it is more survivable in my opinion (Str 7 sucks but overall I think a chariot would be considered much more resilient with T5, 4 wounds and a 3+ save), it can lay a strong charge and still throw out Str 5 attacks in continued combat, and does impact hits.

I think it would be combat-wise a very strong unit to help out or use as a flanker. And the fact that it is only 15 more points than Marauder missiles makes it a close trade off point wise.

So why dont I see these guys in lists more? Would it be a good idea to use one in a foot slogger list?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~Chariots can be great, especially if backed up by more chariots. But it comes down to special slots. They take up one. Although if you are going for footslogger (and probably not filling up max. chosen spaces) then slots shouldn't be a problem. Also, most people either don't like/have the current one, as there is a rumor that a new one may be coming out.

~I say go for it, as it seems more footslogger-ish than horsemen anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I think that chariots are possibly one of the best units of the chaos army and i think that the best way to use it is in a footslogger army as it is very good in covering flanks.

It hits pretty hard when it charges (even though it is random in amount of hits) and can take both shooting and charges pretty well indeed.

I try to include two in every army list (as you have seen from my previous posts).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main reason why you see the cruise missles more is because they take up core slots. Another thing to keep in mind though which is pretty big between the 2 is the movement. Chariots can only move 7 and cant march which means they are stuck in the middle moving with the rest of your units. The cruise missles you can hide them as long as you want until your footsloggers are ready for combat then come out. They are just much more versatile. Both are fairly vulnerable so watch out. Try each one out and see what you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

How are you equiping your marauder horsemen?

I like to run 5 (sometimes 6) marauder horsemen with flairs, light armor, and mark of khorne. They are a house to most 'core' units of other armies (read most, not all). It's fun to watch people's reaction when that 'chump' unit of yours dishes out 20 attacks (frenzy, and horses), 10 of which are strength 5 (flails). The chaos army has more juicy targets so you won't have to worry about them getting picked off, until people catch on to your style.
    Side note: they can shoot things! Added bonus.
    Downside: you equip them this way, and that 'cheap unit' becomes slightly expensive. I am not going to list point values here, as you have the book, and you can add them up based on what I've mentioned so far.
    M. Horsemen Pros: fast cav, multiple attacks, cheap but effective flank unit/bait unit.
    M. Horsemen Cons: Die easily, need support, if marked as khorne, the frenzy can hurt you.

However... I use a chariot also (i switch it up between the two) and I can say that against faster armies (brets, empire, etc) the chariot is the better choice of the two for flank charge reasons. Those types of armies get to you faster, so the slower movement won't be a problem.
    Chariot Pros: High Toughness, multiple wounds, D6+1 impact hits, people are afraid of it.
    Chariot Cons: People love to target them with shooting and high strength attacks, slow movement.

If you're playing slower armies (dwarves, Ogres, etc) then it might be more beneficial for you to take the marauder horsement.

Anyhow.... i rambled.. hope this helps.

Edit: I just noticed you said "why dont i see more of these guys?" in your post. I almost always include a brick of 5 m. horsemen in my lists. They're good for hunting war machine crew. It's the chariot i sub in and out.
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

The last thing I'd call a chariot, is manuverable.

In my DP list I can't find points anywhere, so even with such a few points more, I just can't do it. And it'd remove a core slot.

I almost suggested you check out forsaken, but then I remembered they cost 18 points and I puked a little in my mouth.

If you got core filled up and got a few extra points, it might be worth while. Throw your scroll caddy on top of it and you now have a rank buster for actually LESS points than the horsemen (just counting the base cost for the chariot, not the rider).
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkus View Post
    I almost suggested you check out forsaken, but then I remembered they cost 18 points and I puked a little in my mouth.
    Well said. I forgot how stupidly expensive they are... no wonder GW hasn't made models yet ... no one wants 'em
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Keep in mind that a chariot can neither claim a flank bonus, nor negate ranks to enemy units. Their combat resolution is determined solely from the wounds they inflict.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Ya I thought about it and the manuverability of chariots is A LOT worse that M. Horsemen. I can see the arguments for slots and that makes a lot of sense. For me personally I have plenty of specials open and can still keep 3 core if I drop a horsement unit, so thats not stopping me.

Since Im running a slow foot slogger list I thought it would be good to hang a horsemen unit back and flank charge and hopefully break units that decide to hit my end unit's flank. I also thought it would be a good idea to use one of my hammers (horsmen or chariot) to break a unit that scyla is tarpitting. Idk if ill need the manuverability for some of those spots. Ill try em both out and see which I like. I think I may end up switching it up based on who I play like wrekka said.

Now...does anyone know when these new chariots are coming out?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Being fast cav let's you negate most frenzy problems. Also, if you ram into a unit and they hold, guess what you STILL have 20 str3 attacks.

After I played them for a few weeks, they became target #1 for some of my opponents.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast