Marauders Want some Glory Too - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Marauders Want some Glory Too

Hey guys. I just got back from a vacation and I had some time to find a new idea to propose to yall. I havnt seen this thought thrown around yet so Ill toss it out there.

Armies like TK and VC really like their fear/outnumber rule and its a very effective little one. Why not give it a try with WoC.

Im thinking big marauder unit. 25-30 with an exalted hero holding favor and whatever else you want him to have. You pick. If you run a warshrine it could be rather possible to get fear/terror. This may seem like an expensive combo but its not rare to have a big marauder block with an exalted. Just add in the shrine, or choose to stop shooting the chosen with their magic beam and shoot marauders.

This whole concept of giving the warshrine glory to marauder may not be too bad. Fear/Terror/outnumber, 3+ AS from them to be a stronger anvil, 4+ Ward Save for those cheap buggers. Heck those GW/MoK units can get that much sicker with +1 attack or Str.

So what yall think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

There is magic out there that can just as easily make them fear causers. It could work. Problem is trying to win combat with the marauders.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Alienation! Manga! Conga! Fruit Ju-C! IT'S NOT FUNNY! I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 Maruaders with hand weapon/shield/la+Mark of Nurgle=Very viable (and cheap) anvil unit.

Here's an average play for example:
    Above Maruaders charge High Elf spears. High Elves strike first getting 16 attacks. Hitting on 4s, this means 8 attacks hit, wounding on fours, 4 wounds. 4 up save means two marauders die.
    Swings back, marauders get 4 swings hitting on 3 for 3 hits wounding on fours for an average of 2 wounds, of which one *may* save. Maruaders tie combat or lose it by one.

While this may not seem that great, think about the fact that these are High Elf Spearmen. Now imagine what they do to say... Empire Spearmen...? Or skeletons...?

I'd say it's not even that hard to win combat with Marauders. You don't even need the Exaulted in the unit (though a Filth Mace would be hilarious). If you're getting a Shrine involved though, you may want to take the champion out of the unit so he doesn't have to challenge heros. Call to Glory could be helpful for the purposes you're talking about.
    Last edited by Biggers157; June 3rd, 2009 at 09:20.
    "..and when I wake up/ I imagine being crushed by one/ Imagine it's weight/ It's silence/ The absence of excuse for a havoced life/ And the privalage/ Of a 22 kilometre tombstone" In Flames - Jotun

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Well your math is a little off. They are still hitting the elves on 4s. So 4 attacks, 2 hits, 1 wound. You are now talking about a chance to do less than 1 wound.

The only way they are good is just like empire infantry and that's a transport for characters.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Marauders CR bonuses add up quick... outnumber +1, ranks +3, standard +1, Exalted BSB +1. So +6 before they do any wounds.. sounds like a good idea to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkus View Post
    Well your math is a little off. They are still hitting the elves on 4s. So 4 attacks, 2 hits, 1 wound. You are now talking about a chance to do less than 1 wound.

The only way they are good is just like empire infantry and that's a transport for characters.
    I thought spearmen were WS 4? Eh. I've been wrong before. But still. I think I made my point.

Edit: HE Spearmen do indeed have ws4. This is reduced to 3 with the mark of Nurgle. Thus, marauders hit on 3s with their ws4.
    Last edited by Biggers157; June 6th, 2009 at 10:52.
    "..and when I wake up/ I imagine being crushed by one/ Imagine it's weight/ It's silence/ The absence of excuse for a havoced life/ And the privalage/ Of a 22 kilometre tombstone" In Flames - Jotun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like a good idea but you would need say a unit of 24 - 30 to make sure you outnumber, then a Exhalted most likely BSB to add to combat res and then a shrine on top of this to make sure they cause Fear.

If you can win through static combat res (+6 to start) and then hopefully the BSB will cause 1 or 2 wounds it would work. The plan starts to falter when the unit starts taking missile fire as you are relying on outnumbering with fear. If you give the BSB Favour of the Gods and say the Axe of Khorne then you stand a much bigger chance of him causing pain, then mount him on a demonic mount to make the unit immune to fear and throw them with say LA and Shields (for max survivability) or GW's (for max damage).

I would probably go with

26 Marauders - Full Command/GW/Mark of Khorne

Exhalted - BSB/Jugger/Axe of Khorne/Shield/Favour of the Gods/Soporific Musk/MoK

Warshrine - MoS

and then hold out giving them a roll til they are set up for the charge inorder to minimize the turns of shooting on the unit, once your opponent knows they will auto break units through outnumber and fear im sure he will throw magic and missiles at it to lessen the unit strength.

I suppose then you just eject the BSB and start the warshrine zapping other units. I shall give this a try when i get chance, i need to find some one who doesnt play Demons and VC first however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say if you're gonna run a character in this unit, you can drop the warshrine to save points and just take a guy on foot with the filth mace.

If you win combat, and out number, they auto-break from Terror. Then for the rest of the game you have a nice little Terror footprint to play around with. That way you don't have to rely on the randomness of the shrine to give you fear or terror.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They wouldnt break as the unit Strength of the terror is 1 as the unit itself is immune to terror but only the exhalted would cause it. The same way a unit chargeing the exhalted wouldnt have to test for terror unless it would come in base contact with the bearer. which sucks when you get flanked or reared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah I see. You are correct sir.

I appologize, my mind has been fragmented as of late.

In this case let me also suggest (in addition to the warshrine) taking the Book of Secrets to roll on the lore of shadows. In addition to being a good lore by itself, there is also the chance of rolling Shades of Death for another fear causing effect. Maybe even a lvl 2 with lore of Death (as is contains a similar spell) and a spell familiar just to be safe. This would ensure you have more than one way of pulling this off.

In either case you wouldn't really lose anything against immune to psych troops, as these are both good stand alone lores.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast