New Idea for a hammer. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

New Idea for a hammer.

Ok guys I am trying to think outside the box again so hear me out.

Hitting an enemies flank gives +1 combat res and negates their ranks. We use units like knights and Dogres to fill this role but Im wondering why not Warhounds. They are unit strength 2 each so they can get that US5 to get the full bonus. They will negate ranks, get us +1 CR and help us to get outnumber. With warriors in the front providing solid armor and solid damange I think any unit should break with that added flank even if its by that simple unit of hounds. Plus with not being able to use parry the hounds might acctually kill a guy.

Even if these guys get shot down before they hammer a unit, they still did the job we use them for now. That archer unit shot at them instead of your warriors didnt they?

Now I am not blind and I have to look at the negatives as well. Having this unit of hounds in a units rank could prove for easy kills which could hurt you in CR in the end. But still +1 for flank and negating up to 3 CR from their ranks plus maybe getting a kill may prove to make it worth it.

What you guys think? In our list full of hammers do you think we can sub some out for our lil warhounds?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

It could work, but like you said it could go badly too. Negating ranks for 1 turn though could be all you need.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as you dont expect them to ever make it into combat and they absorb arrows from your warriors, knights etc, they have done their job. If however you can get them to flank, its all the better and your dogs have just made up more points than their worth (even if they dont kill anything). This is true as long as you remember that a team can be greater than the sum of their parts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I wouldn't plan for it myself. It has been my experience that flankers need to be able to weather the storm some. something weak on a charge can still get beat up pretty bad, and every wound lost is CR against, removing the benifits of flanks and negating ranks. Sure you can gain up to 4 CR, but you might only get 1 or 2 ranks, if any (Line of Knights?) if it isn't hard to wound the pups back, you might be doing more harm than good.

I think Flankers should be able to hold their own in HTH (combat before static res) to be effective. Pups don't do that so well. Their static res bonus isn't going to be much either.

That all being said, what else are you going to do with the pups? If they don't kill them all and break them in the shooting and magic phase, well i don't know what to do with them because they never make it that far. =P If i had the opprotunity to flank with pups I'd take it, soley to give them something to do with themselves before they die. The only risk is that the phail epically and your front-line unit breaks.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Are

Are they really US2 each?

I had no idea.

I run mine in fives is that how everyone else does it generally? I almost feel bad for my opponents that I am allowed to use such cheap and nasty units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Yep US2 per dog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

I works. But you can't count on them to deliver kills. That's the Warriors job. So I would go with frenzied warriors with great weapons to maximoze damage output. If the enemy is still there for a second turn you're screwed anyways. You take 1 small unit of 12 khornate warriors with great weapons. These are shielded by 2 units of warhounds (to prevent the warriors running off and to soak up missile fire). When you're close to the target enemy unit you positions the warhounds in a flanking position and put the warriors in charge range. Be sure to have a supporting unit of knights close by to punish the opponent if he ventures too far and charges you first. The knights are safe that far up your table, and if they don't get to support the warriors they can just continue with their previous job.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

+ Reply to Thread