Best sorcerer combo for less than 500 pts. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Best sorcerer combo for less than 500 pts.

I am currently trying to figure out the best sorcerer combo within a 500 pts limit. Since I know this is very dependant on what army list I would be using so here's mine: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1480131 (Competitive All Cavalry, Cost effective, 2000 pts). So basicaly, the sorcerers needs to be mounted and should provide support for a knight heavy army. I already have 2 hero in my list so I can only include 2 more.

Now this is what I got for the moment. If we look at point cost, we get (I assume no mark and a barded steed):
    lvl4 + lvl2 = 430
    or
    2x lvl2 = 272

In the first this gives 70 pts left for Mark and Magic Items (8PD and 5DD). In the second list, this leaves 228 pts (6PD and 4DD). Clearly, the first option seems preferable.

If I look at marks, I feel the lvl2 should have a Mark of Tzeentch or Nurgle, since the first spell in these lore are quite good. For the lvl4, I am not so sure I need a mark.

If I look at magic items I really need, I see 4: Dispel Scroll, Spell Familiar, Book of Secret and Power Familiar. Note that the BoS and PF can actually save me 10 pts if I replace the lvl2 upgrade from one sorcerer.

From the above discussion I came up with this setup:
    Sorcerer Lord, Lvl4 with Steed, Dispel Scroll and Spell Familiar: 334pts
    Sorcerer of Tzeentch, Lvl1 with Steed, Book of Secret and Power Familiar: 171pts

Total: 505 pts
    7 spells, 9 PD, 5 DD and 1 scroll.

The lvl1 can cast 2 missile spell using 3 dice. This leaves 6 PD for the lvl4 and his 5 spells (and he can chose his lore). The magic defence is somewhat lacking with 5 DD and 1 scroll but I feel it is Ok, since I will probably use some MR on my heroes (Collar of Khorne).

So, can anyone come up with something equivalent or better? and go ahead propose any other mark, magic items you feel more powerful....

Last edited by dapredator66; June 27th, 2009 at 04:38.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

delete post
    Last edited by sdefreit; June 27th, 2009 at 05:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Chaos Sorcerer
    Daemonic Mount
    Dispel Scroll
    Dispel Scroll
    Third eye of tzeentch
    Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Sorcerer
    Daemonic Mount
    Fury of the blood god
    Mark of Tzeentch

Ultimately, with only 2 casters therre's no point in taking a magic offensive. Better to defend yourself.

Glavas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Glavas View Post
    Chaos Sorcerer
    Daemonic Mount
    Dispel Scroll
    Dispel Scroll
    Third eye of tzeentch
    Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Sorcerer
    Daemonic Mount
    Fury of the blood god
    Mark of Tzeentch

Ultimately, with only 2 casters therre's no point in taking a magic offensive. Better to defend yourself.

Glavas
    Quite true! With only 2 wizards, I have never dominated any magic phase. I guess at this point it is pretty personnal but I would go with barbed steed and more dispel scrolls.

Still 500 pts of magic defense is a little to much.
    Maybe if the sorcerer lord is getting some combat upgrades, it would be interesting. Chaos Runesword with enchanted shield makes a pretty decent CC setup for a sorcerer lord and you still have points for a dispel scroll.

+ Reply to Thread