Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
The other day i played my friends wood elf army with my warrior heavy army, and he just ran circles around me, afterwards i was thinking would it be smart to just set up in a corner and let them rain arrows on me, or what is the best plan for this, any tips would be great.
"I think, therefore I am"
Use marauder horsemen, war hounds, knights, etc, to intercept him! Also, don't forget magic!
Get something that can lock his fast movers down, then get your warriors in there.
Last edited by phfhrockq; July 4th, 2009 at 02:19.
I played wood elves as my primary before setting up WoC to learn how ranked troops work. the benifit being I'm pretty familiar with how to take down each army.
I dissagree with phfhrockq's advise . horsemen and hounds will get eaten by misslefire and the knights will be target #1 to avoid. YOU CANNOT OUT MANUVER WOOD ELVES. That is what they do best, what you need to do is focus on his weaknesses.
1) Magic. Woodelves have pretty crappy magic, unless they go all-in for magic D, at which point they loose some of their other tricks (the biggest one being the Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkin combo no longer being availible. that is the only thing your knights need to worry about) . take a magic heavy list and bring one of the bound spell items.
2) Marchblockers: he will always have a way to slow you down. his cal have 1"-2" on any of our calvery, and he has more flyers as options aswell, and the alter noble is typically present. I haven't tested it yet, but i think a Disc Rider would do well. a exhaulted champion on a disc with the golden eye of tzeech and a shield can offer you some protection against the march blockers so your foot sloggers can get in faster.
3) Formations: W.E are almost all skirmishers. Skirmishers frontage to match your frontage and never get rank bonuses and can't hold flanks. so stick with the min 5 wide for all units, if you normally go wider. add ranks for static res.
I believe the hardest games I played against chaos were the ones where my opponents clusteres their troops together, except knights which did most of the hammering. there is little they have to counter heavy armout. No W.E unit can go tow2toe with any chaos unit (slight overstatement but darn close), so his goal will be to divide and conquor.
Knights are your best unit, too much armour to penatrate, too much str to block and magic attacks negate the forest spirit saves he has. Try and pack 2 units of knights at least, you don't really need a mark for them or even command.
Also FRENZY = BAD. do not frenzy anything, W.E love to bait frenzied units out of the game.
It is hard to be more spesific without knowing his playstyle. Does he use a treeman or not? How much shooting? what do his characters look like? If you can provide more details, a more refined stratagy can be develop.
sorry about lack of details, i dont know all of them though but here is what i do know, he had a lord with a great weapon, spellsinger, glade guard, glade riders, dryads, and wardancers, i was kinda spread out and used three units of warriors with shields, hero with chaos rune sword, sorcerer lvl 2 mark of tzeentch, and chariot, he used some spell to take out my chariot and sorrcerer before i did any real damage with them, didnt get the charge with my chariot, he used something that let him move farther with his lord, dont know what it was, used his riders to run circles around my warriors while raining arrows down on the rest of my warriors not really hurting them until the turns were up and he won by killing the chariot and sorcerer, and me not scoring any kills.
"I think, therefore I am"
From my limited experience with woodelves i learnt not to take any chariots as you will most likely end up inside a forest or something like that.
Magic should be one of he main answers. That tree singing spam is really annoying.
Try o not divide your army, keep it compact and try to use as much screening units as possible.
A hero on disk can help you to hunt his casters. Once those are down he will lose a great deal of options, and with just shooting he wont hurt you much.
However as the others already said we need to see the WE's build to give you more specific detail.
Here's a few tips...
1. Magic... you can overwhelm most WE magic defense. This is key especially if you are using infantry blocks. Magic missiles can tear up WEs. Focus on their fastest units. I like to keep at least a bound item and/or a sorcerer in my Chaos Warrior unit.
2. Focus on the units that can't or can't easily flee your charges. For instance Dryads can't flee a charge due to ItP. Chaos Warriors and especially Chaos Knights will chew through Dryads. Glade guard probably can't out run more than one charge from a cavalry unit. Most other units [other than 'trees' :-)] will just flee your charges.
3. Deployment... although you don't mention them, its critical to deploy in such a way as to limit the deployment location of Waywatchers. That unit can devastate your knights or a solo character with their Killing Blow ability. Deploy badly and they can do it in the first turn before you even get a chance to move. As an exception to the previous guidance, they are my number one magic missile target.
4. Watch out for Dryad/Wild rider combo charges. On the charge with a musician, the Wild riders cause Fear too. So if they win combat, they can easily outnumber with Fear causers requiring Insane Courage for your unit to hold.
5. Use solo characters with caution... I only use them if they have a monstrous mount and have a good ward save or Killing Blow immunity.
6. Chaos Knights... take at least two units. Nurgle will help protect them. Don't need full command, maybe standard bearer if you want a magic banner.
7. Marauder Horse... I love them but you'll never out Wood Elf a WE army, MH will be high on the target list of the WEs and with their low armor save are easily taken out. I leave them at home
8. Warhounds... take at least as many units as you have CKs. Use them to screen your CKs. Every round the WE shoot at the doggies is a win for you.
My .02 cents
is the nettels thing a magic item or spell like thing?
"I think, therefore I am"