Hybrid Magic Combo - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Hybrid Magic Combo

Ok guys I have thought up a magic setup to go with my list and I want to know what you guys think. It is an expensive setup kind of but it is very much a hybrid and can do a lot of roles. Im looking at this for all comers lists.

Sorcerer- 290
    -Level 2
    -MoN
    -2 Scrolls
    -Chariot

Sorcerer- 290
    -Level 2
    -MoN
    -2 Scrolls
    -Chariot

This setup runs just under 600 points but it can do a lot. Magic offense, magic defense and rank branking hammers.

Magic Offense
    Sure 6 PD isnt a lot but from my experience people either go big magic or not much at all. I either see 9+ PD or no wizards or a caddy. Against low magic lists 6 PD can be effective. Bubboes will go off on anything other than a miscast, and a nicely placed fleshy abundace or leper could be huge if you get lucky enough to get one of those spells.

Magic Defense
    4 DD and 4 scrolls is going to effectively stop the nastiest magic imo. It is going to take a lot to put some hurt on us in the magic phase with that much.

Combat
    Do I need to say anything? US 5 chariots with MoN. Only bad part is the sorcerers have to challenge, but this is still not a bad way to crush enemy units.

So there it is. I am running a double hellcannnon list atm and just have one caddy on a buggy. Ive been pondering this because it would give me more defense and a magic phase to do more range hurt. It is expensive though.

Any comments or thoughts are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Question:can mages still use a Dispel Scroll if they're in combat?

You're only going to get two or three turns of Buboes with that setup before your Chariots hit; assuming your cast rate is fine but that your opponent manages to nullify one a turn with his minimum three Dispel Dice and - presumably - minimum two Scrolls, you're only going to land Buboes a couple of times before your casters become fighters.

Are you taking any other Characters in your list? I much prefer the idea of using combat Characters for combat and casting Characters for casting. I don't think our casters are good enough at combat to actively put them there; I feel they're good enough that if they have to, they can get involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Ya I am also not a huge fan of casters in combat but Im hoping the combats these guys get into dont last long. A chariot will most likely be hitting a flank with a warrior/chosen unit in the front, so Id hope to break them on the charge. And Id probably put one with my knight unit. 5 knights plus a chariot should hopefully break things when charged together on the front.

Ya I see your point on not getting a whole lot off magic wise. I just thought even a single bubboes on a BsB or combat hero can make him easier to take down for my warriors.

With my list I would have to drop my mounted BsB guy but I would still have my disk exalted for combat. Id have to cut a lot to get this combo in but I may test it out. And I do believe scrolls can be burned while in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I like the idea of it.

WHat i am not sure of is if the caster can cast buboes while in combat. i believe he does as there is nothing which prohibits the spell from being cast whilst in combat. And the wizard has 360 line of sight whilst on the chariot which is very good. If that 360 still applies whilst he is in combat, than he would be able to cast it while he is in combat as well.

A question i want to ask at this point is, do the chariots and the heroes riding them need to have the same mark? That is do you have to give a mark of nurgle to your chariot in this case?
    Last edited by DraagDarkfire; July 10th, 2009 at 17:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DraagDarkfire View Post
    A question i want to ask at this point is, do the chariots and the heroes riding them need to have the same mark? That is do you have to give a mark of nurgle to your chariot in this case?
    The actual wording is that the character may not have a different mark than his chariot.

Would that allow for a marked character in an unmarked chariot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I am not sure but if it is so the sorcerers would come something like 300+ points which isn't very reliable as they aren't so unkillable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as the description for Buboes goes, it cannot be cast while in combat or into combat.

Does a character on a chariot have 360 LoS?
    If he was riding on a monster, he'd have 90, I thought the same thing applied to chariots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

There is nothing which says "pick a single unengaged enemy model". The only restrictions are LoS and 24inches.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DraagDarkfire View Post
    There is nothing which says "pick a single unengaged enemy model". The only restrictions are LoS and 24inches.
    For sure. But you can't cast it while your caster is in combat; that's one of my problems with the whole idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Wizards may not cast spells at any units enganged in close combat, unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise" (107)

It doesn't specify that buboes may be targeted at engaged models. Also, the wizard being in combat would surely block his LoS?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast