1000pt cavalry army questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    D34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt cavalry army questions

I'm going to be starting a campaign at the local hobby shop. The rules for the first week's army are as follows:

Beginning Army Comp: Make 1000 point list. You may have unlimited troops, up to 3 characters, and ONE special. You may take basic unit upgrades but no magical banners. Your characters may only take basic equipment and all wizards start at level 1. Remember this represents an up and coming army… everybody had to start somewhere!

I'm trying for a very mobile army (I guess it's not exactly a cavalry army, but I didn't think of that until after I posted =P) that can do lots of damage before it gets hurt too bad. I'm also anticipating going against at least one dwarf army that will completely lock me down magic wise, so I'm edging away from that. Here's what I have:

Exalted Hero - 130 Points
    Mark of Khorne
    Shield

2x16 Marauders - 146x2 Points
    Mark of khorne
    Flails
    Light Armor

2x5 Horsemen - 130x2 Points
    Mark of Tzeench
    Shields
    Throwing Axes

5 Chaos Knights - 305 Points
    Mark of Khorne
    Lances

Any constructive criticism?

Last edited by D34; July 28th, 2009 at 08:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by D34 View Post
    I'm going to be starting a campaign at the local hobby shop. The rules for the first week's army are as follows:

Beginning Army Comp: Make 1000 point list. You may have unlimited troops, up to 3 characters, and ONE special. You may take basic unit upgrades but no magical banners. Your characters may only take basic equipment and all wizards start at level 1. Remember this represents an up and coming army… everybody had to start somewhere!

I'm trying for a very mobile army (I guess it's not exactly a cavalry army, but I didn't think of that until after I posted =P) that can do lots of damage before it gets hurt too bad. I'm also anticipating going against at least one dwarf army that will completely lock me down magic wise, so I'm edging away from that. Here's what I have:

Exalted Hero - 130 Points
    Mark of Khorne
    Shield

2x16 Marauders - 146x2 Points
    Mark of khorne
    Flails
    Light Armor

2x5 Horsemen - 130x2 Points
    Mark of Tzeench
    Shields
    Throwing Axes

5 Chaos Knights - 305 Points
    Mark of Khorne
    Lances

Any constructive criticism?
    I'm not clear what you're going to do with your Marauders? What formation are you thinking of, remembering you need at least five across the front...?

Where does your Hero go? I'm assuming he's sitting in one of the unit of Marauders? I think those units are going to be too light, and will be rather easy to remove from the board, or to pull out of position if required. Personally I'd hold Khorne Marauder units down to 10 or 12 men armed with Great Weapons and use them to support a larger unit or Slaanesh Marauders armed with Hand Weapon and Shield, if you're determined to use Marauders at all.

I don't much like your Marauder Horsemen, either. Again, I'd consider using Slaanesh with these guys and dropping the Shields. You might also want to consider using units of cruise missiles - at 1,000 points, you'll not find many units that will stand up to 10 S5 and 10 S3 attacks in the first round of combat.

Your Knights will probably go through most units in their first turn of combat, but they are a bit one-dimensional. Being Khorne and wielding Lances means they really have to get their charge in to have full impact; if they're counter-charged you'll find a lot of their strength goes out the window. Personally I prefer to keep a Khornate, Lance-wielding unit of Knights as something to complement other units of Knights that are more rounded and have more uses.

D34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The marauders I want to give some cover to my hero while he gets up the table and also be able to do some decent damage on the charge, I could swap them out for, say, 12 MoS warriors with shields and hand weapons, but I'm thinking in a smaller game the extra guys might come in handy. As for the horsemen, I want to use them as harassers while the knights and the hero/warriors come into play.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

The marauders I want to give some cover to my hero while he gets up the table and also be able to do some decent damage on the charge, I could swap them out for, say, 12 MoS warriors with shields and hand weapons, but I'm thinking in a smaller game the extra guys might come in handy. As for the horsemen, I want to use them as harassers while the knights and the hero/warriors come into play.
    Ok. I'm not saying get rid of the Marauders (although I'm not personally a big fan of them!); but I would either run a proper stick-around unit (25 models, Light Armour, Shield and Mark of Slaanesh) or smaller flanking units (10 or 12 models, Flails, Mark of Khorne).

Given the choice I would almost always take Warriors over Marauders, but that's based on personal preference. I do agree that in smaller games - up to about 1,000 points, in fact - that Warriors can be a bit underwhelming. In these games I'd probably focus on cavalry; max out on Knights, Marauder Horsemen and Warhounds.

Mount that Hero to help him survive a bit longer - why not stick him in the Knight unit to give them some extra punch? They're already Khornate, and if that grabs you, you may as well shove your Hero in there too!

Oh, also, you need Warhounds to screen that Knight unit, or they're just going to be hauled around the table by a nimble fast-cavalry/flying unit, or indeed by almost anything the enemy doesn't mind losing.

I reckon you can surprise people quite nicely with a cavalry army. I personally would look in that direction before taking Marauders - or even Warriors, at this points level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

But he is only allowed one special so maxing out knights isn't possible. I would use an army like this without the khorne on the knights and with more marauders with full command

Exhalted Hero
    mark of khorne
    shield

3x 16 maurauders
    mark of khorne
    flails
    light armour
    full command

5 marauder horsemen
    MoK
    flails
    light armour

5 knights
    champion
    musician
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

D34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I did some revising. I also found out that first week I can't have marks on my troops. I played a couple games with this setup and it seems to work pretty well:

Exalted Hero
    Shield

3x 5 Marauder Horsement
    Flails
    Full command

5 Chaos Knights
    Lances
    Full command

10 Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

12 Warriors
    Extra hand weapon
    Full command

Next week I'll be able to add in marks. Marauder horsemen are getting Khorne, as are my hero and the warriors. I'm considering Slaanesh ob the knights. Also, I'll have 350 more points and another special slot to play around with, so I'm thinking of another 5 knights MoK and lances. Any other thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Alright, I did some revising. I also found out that first week I can't have marks on my troops. I played a couple games with this setup and it seems to work pretty well:

Exalted Hero
    Shield

3x 5 Marauder Horsement
    Flails
    Full command

5 Chaos Knights
    Lances
    Full command

10 Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

12 Warriors
    Extra hand weapon
    Full command

Next week I'll be able to add in marks. Marauder horsemen are getting Khorne, as are my hero and the warriors. I'm considering Slaanesh ob the knights. Also, I'll have 350 more points and another special slot to play around with, so I'm thinking of another 5 knights MoK and lances. Any other thoughts?
    Slip hounds in 2 units No scaly skin unless you have nothing else to do with 10 points.
    Lance aren't worth losing the strength in the subsequent rounds of combat. Especially when you have to pay points for them. A champion is probably overkill and costlyat this stage.

You should mount your character on a Mount. Well worth the 50 points, lets your character either stroll on is own and not fear anything short of a cannonball, or join units. Mobility is everything in a chaos army

Not having marks is pretty silly... It's well known that the efficiency of your units is based on them...

No standard on the horsemen or champion, a musician will do.

A chariot could also be a good addition, or a sorcerer for your next point upgrade
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

WoC arent allowed to have marks? The marks that we pay points to have? Shenanigans!

Hmm so do HE and DE get their amazing abilities taken away as well. At least we pay points for our upgrades.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Exalted Hero
    Shield
    Mount mount mount mount mount mount.

3x 5 Marauder Horsement
    Flails
    Full command
    Lose the command with these guys; there's really no need for 'em. Maybe stick with the Musician, but only if you're desperate to drop points at the end of your list.

5 Chaos Knights
    Lances
    Full command
    I'd give serious thought to dropping the Lances and at least the Champion - there's no need for spending the points on the extra attack and having Lances massively affects your utility on these guys; constant S5 with magic attacks really isn't to be sniffed at.

10 Warhounds
    Scaly Skin
    Split these guys into two units and drop the Scaly Skin. Not worth the points, in my opinion.

12 Warriors
    Extra hand weapon
    Full command
    I'd drop the Champion from this unit, too, and put Halberds and Shields on the unit instead of the Addition Hand Weapon. You get better versatility and I think the points cost will be around the same.

Knights do rather nicely with Nurgle - Mark of Slaanesh isn't so great on them since they already reroll panic checks and cause Fear themselves. Unless you're adept at controlling Khornate units, I'd avoid it where you can.

The Marauder Horsemen can do well with Khorne, but you might consider making one or two of those units march-blockers (Mark of Slaanesh, Throwing Axes, Musician), which are actually cheaper than your Khornate cruise missiles.

Your Warriors would do nicely with Slaanesh too, actually. Especially with your Hero in the unit, you don't want them running away. And if your Hero's mounted, I wouldn't put Khorne on him - he'll get baited out the unit, singled-out and mooshed.

When I said 'maxing out' for the Knights, I know you only have one slot - I meant putting extra models in the unit. If you free up 40 points, that's an extra Knight; and in a frontal charge, all six Knights will always get their attacks in on an enemy unit.

+ Reply to Thread