Warshrine targets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Warshrine targets

What makes the best Warshrine target? I'm wondering whether it might be worth taking a couple of Warshrines either side of a Marauder unit. Hear me out.

I was just thinking that the best infantry unit for a Hero or Lord is the Marauders; the Warriors don't need the combat boost, and Chosen certainly don't. Then I wondered about making Marauders more tough. For however much it costs for two Warshrines (book not with me at the moment), you can create a solid infantry line by flanking a unit of Marauders with a couple of mounted Characters.

Potentially you're looking at a unit of 25 Marauders that cost you about 150 points, each with 2 Attacks, or extra Toughness, or whatever. Then you have a combat Character or two in the front line to make sure of kills.

What do you think? Are Warshrines better making our weak units able to do some actual damage, or should they focus on making our aleady-powerful units nigh-on invincible?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Or they could make you stupid or for the cost of 2 warshrines, you could get a tricked out unit of knights.

This could be a really fun way to play and a great boon to your modelling fun, but I don't see the warshrine really being that useful. The problem is that there are too few units in our army. 1/2 of them are too fragile to stay in protracted combat or lose out because they are soo much slower than the rest (if the warshrine added d3 to your movement value - that would be worth getting) so we are left with either taking all cav armies or uber magic just to stay in the game.

I've got 50 maruaders sitting on my shelf waiting to get used for something. Maybe this is the way to do it I don't know, but I see them having a hard time getting the charge off, and they are only str3 which no matter how many attacks you have, isn't going to do much off anything. Maybe if they were khorne, with great weapons and can somehow get the charge off and hope the enemy isn't ASF.

The warshrine itself can't really fight it's way out of a paper bag, which makes it a target to heavy cav, super characters, monsters and rank and file troops. Not the best recipe itself. I see it as a cauldron of blood, kind of a neat idea, but doesn't really seem to quite work the way it should.

I am open to ideas on how to make my warriors do anything but lose in combat.
    Last edited by buckero0; August 8th, 2009 at 15:48.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I throw my warshrine into combats all the time. Just don't do it alone, unless you're using the BotGs to make it stubborn, then it fits that roll perfectly.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

My maraders are pure foder, I wouldn't bother wasting a roll with a warshrine on them. I tend to use it to make my awesome units better. These Include:
    Warriors
    chosen (2x on EoG is pretty evi)
    Dragon Ogres (rolled a 12 for them once, they were unstoppable)
    Knights (only if no other target is viable at the time)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    Or they could make you stupid
    Realistically, only for one turn.

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    I am open to ideas on how to make my warriors do anything but lose in combat.
    Do you mean "Marauders", or are you meaning the whole Warriors of Chaos? Surely you don't mean the Chaos Warriors unit...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stupidity lasts for the rest of the game. I dont think warshrines are a practical unit to take. It is just too easy to watch a bunch of buffs get tossed out that end up with almost no benefit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    The stupidity lasts for the rest of the game.
    I would argue about that, personally. I know it says it lasts for the rest of the game, but then - even though they don't say so - so do the other buffs, unless they're canceled. And the Warshrine entry says it "negates" previous rolls on the table if you use it to bless again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure they would have added "this unit has the fear special ability for the rest of the game". Not that it is really clear either way, but you may piss some people off of if this rare occurance happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by el_don View Post
    I would argue about that, personally. I know it says it lasts for the rest of the game, but then - even though they don't say so - so do the other buffs, unless they're canceled. And the Warshrine entry says it "negates" previous rolls on the table if you use it to bless again.
    The fact that none of the other results say that is your first clue; if any character or unit rolls a 2, (barring the initial pre-game roll that chosen get, of course) that character/unit is stupid for the rest of the game, regardless of warshrine re-rolls.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by shakedown47 View Post
    The fact that none of the other results say that is your first clue; if any character or unit rolls a 2, (barring the initial pre-game roll that chosen get, of course) that character/unit is stupid for the rest of the game, regardless of warshrine re-rolls.
    I understand your arguments; I'm just saying it's open to interpretation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast