Old High Elf player switching to Chaos. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old High Elf player switching to Chaos.

Greetings all,
    Having played High Elves for many years I am now making a switch to the dark side. I have spent a few hours reading this board and reading the army book. I have a few questions to ask here and please be patient with me if they are stupid or repeats, I did spend quite some time reading old posts to find many other answers for myself.

1) I get the impression that the mark of Tzeentch stacks with other ward saves, If I made a battle standard bearer of Tzeentch equipped with the blasted standard would this mean he now gives a unit a 4+ ward against shooting and a 6+ ward for himself?

2) Also could the said battle standard bearer join a unit of slannesh warriors and quite contently walk into panic/fear/terror situations without the need to test? Even if he had to still test for fear and terror alone would he at least be safe from panic casulties caused from the unit being shot?

3) Is a Daemon Prince a large target or not? My book says nothing about it but I know how GW can be for changing rules later lol.

4) Also would a Tzeentch marked Daemon Prince with the Fury of the Blood God have a 3+ ward against wounds from spells due to his mark enhancing the ward?

These are all my questions for now, my thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Whirlwind; October 3rd, 2009 at 17:52. Reason: I missed a question out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Welcome to the dark side! I will answer your questions as best i can.

1) If the bsb has Tzeentch and the blasted standard then he still only gives the unit a 5+ wardsave, but if something randoms onto him he will have a 4+ ward. However if the unit is tzeentch then they will have a 4+ ward as well.

2) I don't play much slaanesh so am not sure about this one, but i would say he gains immunity to fear, terror, and panic along with the unit even if he is a different mark, however i'm really not sure about that one.

3)He is not a large target.

4)Yes he would have a 3+ ward against spells, and a natural 4+ ward against everything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply Sir, it goes much appreciated.

I have another question for any one who is willing to assist me...

It says in the chaos army book that chaos warriors may pick at least one of the following: (Their weapons selections) Does this mean I could effectively arm them to the teeth in the same manner as Black Orcs? I am not asking of the sanity or value of such an action but rather asking if it is legal.

Many thanks in advance,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you can gear the chaos warriors to the teeth, but once combat hits you must choose and stay with that gear for the duration of the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Yes, I arm my Chosen with halberds shields and extra hand weapons, and it's great. They can mow through huge ranks of goblins, tarpit lizardmen, even Treemen and so forth. Great flexibility, and a hassle for your opponent to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you actually get to do any mowing though? If I kit my Chaos Warriors up with anything decent, my opponents just avoid them like the plague... :-(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Roark View Post
    Do you actually get to do any mowing though? If I kit my Chaos Warriors up with anything decent, my opponents just avoid them like the plague... :-(
    I put them square in the middle of the board and march them forwards. Sure, some games they don't even see combat (especially since my Chaos Lord goes with them) but most of the time they get to mix it up by turn 4 or so. Getting your slow units into combat is a matter of using your fast cav, knights, and ogres to herd your enemy where you want him.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I have some similar newbish questions, as I'm coming from HE and VC as my other main armies. I figure that since this thread seems to have gone quiet, I could maybe ask a few more?

1- how much does magic really matter to Warriors, and how should you go about it? Strong defense? Strong Offense? Just some caddies?

2- is an all-cavalry list viable? My VC are great ground-pounders and my HighElves lost their bid for all-cav. Can Chaos do it? And more importantly- can they do it well?

3- Tournament army? Are they? How do they do well, why, etc.

4- Any good advice for kitting out heroes? For WoodElves it's the HoDA noble and the AlterNoble. What is it for a good warriors army?

I'm getting into an army that I can collect, and I don't want to toss money in the wrong the directions.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    I have some similar newbish questions, as I'm coming from HE and VC as my other main armies. I figure that since this thread seems to have gone quiet, I could maybe ask a few more?

1- how much does magic really matter to Warriors, and how should you go about it? Strong defense? Strong Offense? Just some caddies?

With WoC you can freely pick between having super-strong combat phases, super-strong magic phases, or a good mix of the two. Lately I've been going with having a good mix of both, with more focus on combat than magic. Caddies, as with most other armies, work fine if that's your style.

2- is an all-cavalry list viable? My VC are great ground-pounders and my HighElves lost their bid for all-cav. Can Chaos do it? And more importantly- can they do it well?

Probably one of the best all-cav armies, next to Brets. We have cheap and very effective fast cav, and fairly expensive (but still much cheaper than Blood Knights) but ludicrously strong heavy cav. With being able to combine Marks, magic items, and magic banners, you can make your units either very killy or very resilient. And, on the fiscal side, all of our cavalry is plastic and reasonably priced (as well as amazingly sculpted!)

3- Tournament army? Are they? How do they do well, why, etc.

As far as national results go, WoC are a middling army. Sometimes placing high, rarely placing low, and generally found in the middle. But that's GT's. How many GT's do you really do a year? Local 3-rounders, Indy GT's, and themed events can be very nice to WoC.

4- Any good advice for kitting out heroes? For WoodElves it's the HoDA noble and the AlterNoble. What is it for a good warriors army?

If you're using sorcerers, IMO you need to take the Infernal Puppet before you take the first dispel scroll; it's an absolutely useful item. Book of Secrets is very nice, as well as the Power Familiar (just don't be a douche and take a 12 PD 3-sorcerer army, no one likes playing against that and you'll just bore yourself to death.) You can rig up your fighting characters to either have extreme damage output or very high resilience. Winning challenges is definitely our strong point. The cool thing about being base T5 and high armour save (mount them, always) is that you can feel free to experiment with your own combinations and not be hampered by cookie-cutter builds (HoDA noble, DE Invinci-Lord, HE Caledor-Vambraces Star Dragon blah blah blah.)

I'm getting into an army that I can collect, and I don't want to toss money in the wrong the directions.
    Hope that helps. HE was my first army, and I love them, but unfortunately you can just turn off your brain and go on autopilot, and of course that gets old fairly quickly. WoC are always a blast to play, and I have consistently had very close games with the locals near me. If your opponents are fairly competent, you can expect to have a lot fewer massacres and a lot more solid and minor victories, and therefore (IMO) much more fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to add just a few more things other than what shakedown47 has already spoken of. I find that he knows the Woc army very well, but i would like to add that in a tournament competitive Woc you must go heavy magic. I have found that not having a shooting phase can keep you in a stasis. I find that several cheap casters with magic missiles can easy make up for this. I also have a HE, VC and Woc army. I just finished the San Jose Ard Boyz and after placing first with Woc i think i have a good enough list to take to Sacramento. Once again let me say that i ran very magic and calv heay. Woc needs speed and i know we have some of the best foot in game but the movement 4 just kills you. Keep fast, keep shooty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast