Word of Agony Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word of Agony Question

Quick question.
    Since Word of Agony and declaration of challenges both occur at the beginning of close combat, which one happens first?
    Just wondering if you can get around the pesky obligatory challenges by destroying the heroes/champions right off the bat.

-R

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Quick question.
    Since Word of Agony and declaration of challenges both occur at the beginning of close combat, which one happens first?
    Just wondering if you can get around the pesky obligatory challenges by destroying the heroes/champions right off the bat.

-R
    I believe Word of Agony is at the beginning fo the Close Combat Phase, while Challeges are issued before any close combat takes place. Therefore, WoA will go first. In any case, WoA will go off before any swings are made.

To me, the question really is, "do you move your character in base contact with the challenger before WoA will activate?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I have always played it as Word of Agony first, declare challenges second, fight third. This is supported by the errata on whether or not an assassin appears before Word of Agony occurs (you roll off for that, by the way.) Since assassins appear before challenges are declared, and since the appearance of assassins happens at the same time as Word of Agony, it stands to reason that any Word of Agony wounds will get resolved before challenges are declared.

Edited for clarity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

makes sense to me. Thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread