Chaos options : Units we don't see much - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos options : Units we don't see much

So, I'm wondering why almost every list I see features warriors / knights / horsemen / sorcs, and that's about it. Obviously these are core and leadership units, so they're necessary, (and the knights speak for themselves!) but what about other units?

How do we feel about Chosen? Forsaken? Chaos Spawn? How about Chaos War Shrines? Dragon Ogres? Heck, even regular ogres / trolls? Does anyone ever take these things, or are the points better spent somewhere else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

i believe war shrines and Chosen see action quite alot allready, (i could be mistaken) the other rare options are quite nice aswell.

I think that the two most important factors are the look of the models and
    mobility/cost balance

Heck if you start a chaos warriors legion you probably liked the knights and some of their heroes. So it only makes sense you stay in that motion and get a whole bunch of 1+ armoursave knights

Forsaken have no actual models available, the dragon ogres, their models are arguably not worth the effort. i think they would see alot more action if the models would get some attention

mobility is a very important factor in chaos warriors, they have no artillery and if the enemy has, its a matter of time before your expensive cavalry falls. no time to waste!

trolls have a disadvantage in warriors because their stupidity ld4 needs backup from a character, those do not come cheap in this army, so its not a very reasonably unit entry for chaos warriors, unless you have a slow moving battallion.

Ogres are about the same cost as the chaos knights, who are very popular, its really just choosing one of the two, but the knights are more into character, not to mention if you take ogres your army looses a bit of its mobility, knights also have more options.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Dragon Ogres + banner of the gods is the best anvil the army has. Wins games!

And if you got the points, I think a slaanesh warshrine should be in every list. Its slow, but its beefy in combat and those times when it makes knights T5 or Str6 are priceless.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Agree with Pinkus; the warshrine makes it into every list unless it absolutely can't fit, it's just too useful to ignore. I don't use chaos ogres in every list, but four of them with a great weapon have a decent chance of downing a full-health hydra on the charge, and they cause a real panic to archer lines/war machines. Including a character helps them stick around longer by soaking up wounds.

Trolls are ridiculously awesome. Take two units of 4 or 5 and babysit them with a character. They are just as good in a normal combat as ogres (and usually better, thanks to mutant regen) with the added benefit of being able to slaughter cavalry without even trying. As a chaos player, fighting a unit of chaos trolls is one of my bigger fears (without Tzeentch sorcs.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay! Thank you for the replies so far!

Now, let's ignore for a second the actual PHYSICALITY of the models - Assume these questions are coming out of someone who likes the exciting challenge of building models for units that have no actual GW models (Because it's true... I plan on building my own Chosen out of left over Warrior / Knight bits and copious amounts of green stuff)

So, Warshrines seem to be worth it, and Ogres / Trolls seem to be worth it if you've got the points to spare, and don't feel like using another unit of knights.

Ignoring lack of models as a reason, does anyone employ any of the following?
    - Chosen
    - Forsaken
    - Dragon Orgres
    - Chaos Spawn
    - Hellcannons

Mostly, I wonder if it's WORTH doing the conversions on these units to get them in my army. I'm entirely up to the challenge of converting them and making them look great (it's half the reason I wanted to collect a WHFB army in the first place, and make them all Nurgle-aligned) I just don't want the models to just sit on the shelf afterward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

I never leave the Chaos Wastes without a unit of Cavalry smashing Dragon Ogres. AND I LIKE THE MODELS!

Forsaken just dont seem wirth the points. M6 isnt worth it in my opinion.

Spawn are good, but only if you cant think of anything better to do with your points.

I would never use a Hellcannon, but thats because I recently put the dwarfs in a box and moved to Chaos for a change in scenery. Model is amazing and it could be amazing in combination with the Doom totem.

Chosen are a great big bullet magnet, but are devastating if they reach the opponent.

I really want to convert me some forsaken but couldnt see a use for them on the field.
    Current painting project: 2300 pts of Dwarfs in 5 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forsaken are the worst unit in our book for the points. It seems like they were meant to be skirmishers but someone forgot to put it in the rules.

I never bring an army without a Hellcannon because I think it's absolutely awesome. I'd like to bring Dragon Ogres but I don't usually find room in my army because I like a big anvil of 18 chosen I also despise the dragon ogre models and I want to convert some from cold ones and ironguts, but hopefully new models will come in the next wave of chaos releases.

Also, the Hellcannon is a beautiful tar trap unit. Keep the dwarves at the back so that when you charge they'll always be out of range, and the T6 Unbreakable Cannon keeps the charged unit in combat for a few turns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by civic_necromancer View Post

Ignoring lack of models as a reason, does anyone employ any of the following?
    - Chosen
    - Forsaken
    - Dragon Orgres
    - Chaos Spawn
    - Hellcannons

Mostly, I wonder if it's WORTH doing the conversions on these units to get them in my army. I'm entirely up to the challenge of converting them and making them look great (it's half the reason I wanted to collect a WHFB army in the first place, and make them all Nurgle-aligned) I just don't want the models to just sit on the shelf afterward.
    I play all of the above unit except for Forsaken which are not very good for their point.

Chosen are worth it if you play with a warshrine to boost them further. Otherwise I stick with the normal warriors.

Dragon Ogres: I like the model They have their place in a heavy cavalry list (mainly because they can keep up and provide resilience and high strentgh hit). Don't except a lot of them if you charge big infantry unit, they lack static combat res.

Chaos Spawns: for their point value they are an invaluable tool in an heavy infantry list. They are one of the good flank/rear guard unit we have. They also are the only one to be able to charge in any direction.

Hellcanon: a great anvil unit and our only shooting weapon. Honestly, forget about shooting and protecting your rear/flank with it. I had awesome result at putting put it in the middle of my units and moving the dwarfs until I can charge. Once in close combat the hellcanon is your enemy worst nightmare.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

320 (x8)

im sorry about the Dragon Ogres remark -.-

they're cute
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

One of my favorite units in our book is the chaos spawn. I put the mark of Slaanesh on him and as long as he strikes first I think he is worth the points. I usually use him as a sacrificial unit to draw out charge from the enemy (chances are he will still hit them first)

If he survives then the unit that charged him is in aprime position for a flank charge. Not to mention that the chaos spawn models are pretty nice (and they can be scratch built/converted to look like anything) I have seen a chaos spawn model that was just a blob of green stuff painted wierd colors and the torso of a human being sucked into it.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

+ Reply to Thread