the Horstman Speculum - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

the Horstman Speculum

last night I was playing against my Friend who used the Van Horstman's Speculum (in challenges both models swap statlines) And proceded to pummel my exalted hero into the ground by his own stats. Since my hero always have to issue challenges; how can we combat this?

I figured I would try to keep my hero out of the way of the model with the Speculum....but thats not very chaos-esc

So I'm wondering if anyone has expierence combating this magic item. all help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got no experience combatting Horstmann, but if he say "accidentally" died from a "stray" Hellcannon round/magic missile, then you don't have to challenge him

Otherwise, try equipping your character with defensive upgrades. Something like Armor of Damnation or the Crown might help. Word of Agony could help, but might be too expensive for an Exalted.
    Currently building my poor-hammer WoC army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

bloodcurdling roar comes before challenges and so would go on his own stats. id give that a shot
    Current painting project: 2300 pts of Dwarfs in 5 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    My frieid used to have that item too. If you bring a warshrine all your unit champions get the challenge rule that your characters have so if you have a exalted hero and a champion in same unit ( and you have a warshrine in the army ) You can simply take the challenge with your champion ( he can only challenge once in the same combat )
    and besides that it boosts your unit.

Hope that helps , it works for me
    Hey, while I definitely agree with your post, I found it fairly hard to read. Would it be possible to neaten up your spelling in the future, particularly with the word "you"? It'd be appreciated. Cheers. -AFG//
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; December 13th, 2009 at 08:11.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

does the speculum not stay hidden untill the fight starts? Even if you know he has one you cannot tell which character has it..

i believe i only found out he was using one after he challenged my thirster...

even then, i like the warshrine idea, seems very effective
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Well I have a standard theory that most WoC'ers on here seem to neglect.

IF YOU ARE TAKING A CHARACTER IN A UNIT THEN YOU MUST TAKE A UNIT CHAMPION.

The spec will be on a Warrior Preist or a Wizard. If there is a wizard Lord on a pegasus then be very wary of it.

If you have a champion and a lord in say... a unit of knights, you need to run them like this.

KKKKCL

This way there is no way they can avoid the unit champion, meaning that then they can be the one in the challenge.
    Current painting project: 2300 pts of Dwarfs in 5 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by stratovarion View Post
    bloodcurdling roar comes before challenges and so would go on his own stats. id give that a shot
    im assuming you meant word of agony.

anyways...

buboes or steal soul work wonders as well, or avoid the one with a van horstmans with your characters and go for someone else.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the caracter is in the front rank and the enemy caracter in the front rank too , then he dont need to get in base contact only restriction is u cant challenge is u charge enemy from rear or flank. so it thos not mather were in the unie the caracter is .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by sendaf View Post
    last night I was playing against my Friend who used the Van Horstman's Speculum (in challenges both models swap statlines) And proceded to pummel my exalted hero into the ground by his own stats. Since my hero always have to issue challenges; how can we combat this?

I figured I would try to keep my hero out of the way of the model with the Speculum....but thats not very chaos-esc

So I'm wondering if anyone has expierence combating this magic item. all help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Has it was already said, always take full command if you bring character inside a unit (well maybe not for knights to get look out sir as long as possible).

Now if your friend is using the Speculum you could always try to kill him with a wizard equipped with a warrior familiar. This may sound silly but a wizard stats are pretty much the same compare to a normal hero. He will not have any advantage at switching stats and you will strike a S5 hit before combat.

Against empire I really like this little bugger:

Sorcerer, Lvl1, MoT, Disc, Golden Eye, Warrior Familiar, Bloodcurdling Roar; 190 pts

This guy is absolutely wonderful, he provide 1 dispel dice and he is design to kill war machine crew. He also has the possibility to kill some heavy cavalry but most importantly for you he can probably deal with the Speculum (which quite often then not is on an Arch Lector siting on his War Altar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

The ideas presented, I think, have covered defeating this piece quite well. I don't know a great deal about WoC tools, so I'll leave that to everyone else. From an Empire perspective, here's what you should know:
    *It will feature in almost every Empire army, particularly against Warriors of Chaos, who have some unusually vicious statlines.
    *It only swaps base stats. If you take a Sword of Might, for example, you still get the strength bonus and they don't.
    *Most of the time it will be on a Warrior Priest (who can take a GW and already has Hatred) or a Wizard (who has rubbish statlines anyway), or one of the Lord-level equivalents, allowing for greater versatility with the characters (but higher dividends if you can kill them). On a Master Engineer is a waste of points and a Captain still has some decent stats.

If it's on a Wizard, I wouldn't sweat it too much. The player has a vaguely decent character killer (S5 isn't that brilliant at popping armour open, if we're honest, and they still have to roll hits) who can't take weapons, armour or much else in the way of actual magic items. If you see a lone Wizard racing towards you at a reckless pace, you know what you have coming. One trick is to store the Steed of Shadows in the Ring of Volans for another character ("Wizard bomb"). Bear in mind, however, that you're almost guaranteed a win through CRes. If you want to strike earlier, a couple of two dice Fireballs should worry your opponent. If they're in a unit, look at what's been proposed here (Armour of Damnation and a GW should be fairly decent).

Should you find it on a priest, he'll likely be with a unit and quite possibly striking at S7 with Hatred (not bad for a figure who won't tends to barely break 150 points). The weakness here is a lack of armour, with the VHS eating into a significant amount of his item allowance. If you can keep the fight protracted, you stand an alright chance of killing the clergyman. I'm not too sure how WoC can pop a War Altar, sorry, although dapredator66 and Tobbe364 seem to have some decent ideas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast