New to WOC...looking to build my warhost! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to WOC...looking to build my warhost!

Hello all! I've recently decided to start a WOC army because of its pure concentrated awesomeness. I bought 12 warriors and plan on buying the battalion set when I get some more cash. Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on other units to buy. I was thinking of picking up some chaos spawn and perhaps a troll for a Throgg conversion. I am no stranger to greenstuff and am open to any and all comments. My other army is Dwarves and as you can guess I am excited to play something other than a gunline! Thanks ahead of time for all help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two main directions you can go in with Warriors. The first is a balanced army with infantry and cavalry, maybe a sorcerer or two and some fun monstery units. This list is good on the offensive against other armies that move the same speed as you into combat, but against a faster list you will probably end up playing in a defensive way, taking a charge with your hard as nails units in order to countercharge with some heavy hitting cavalry.

The other route you can go down is the all cav list. This tends to be led by a Lord, mounted on some form of ground mount or even a dragon. Your core will be made up of units of Marauder Horsemen with flails and either the mark of Khorne for the ridiculous damage or Slaanesh for the cheap pseudo-immune to psychology. Special you can fill with basically anything movement 7; generally 2-3 units of Knights and then a chariot or some Dragon Ogres. This kind of list has you rushing straight ahead and using multiple charges to crush units and break them in the first round; if you get stuck in combat your units will either lose to static combat res or more likely get countercharged.

I personally play the first kind of list as it allows for more variety. The cavalry list is actually much cheaper to play cash wise as your units have more points per unit of money (whatever currency you use in the Chaos Wastes). This is all just personal experience I'm speaking from, but I'm sure most will agree with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...I'm definitely thinking the first route. Always liked the idea of infantry, although ill definitely have a unit of knights and marauder cav. along with warhounds all acting as flank support. Also, was thinking of using spawn to tie up units or perhaps act as kamikazes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first route is generally more fun, especially if you include random elements like Spawns or a Hellcannon. Knights are a given in any Warriors of Chaos list, simply because they're the best unit in the book. Horsemen marked with Slaanesh and given throwing axes are excellent for harassment and baiting. I've recently put them to good use against the new Skaven by dragging a Plague Furnace into some woods. If you're using Spawn, the best way to use them is in pairs and mark them up with Slaanesh. I've put them to good use against Wardancers, as the wimpy elves have to choose between striking first and losing an attack or striking second and possibly losing attacks due to models dying.

The final build I'm going for will have a Lord on a Dragon, an Exalted on a disc with a flail; a scroll caddy, two units of Warriors; a block of Marauders, a unit of horsemen; two units of warhounds; one or two units of knights depending on how I tool them up; and either a Hellcannon or two Slaaneshi Spawns. My plan is to spend the first couple of turns getting things into position, waiting for my opponent to mobilise, then sending in the Dragon, Exalted and Knights to take out nasty things while my infantry plough up the middle. I may end up favouring the Hellcannon as it can be firing while I set this up, and if my opponent is unwilling to move I can keep shelling them as my troops advance and hopefully coax them into moving out of their position. I'll report back after I've tried this.
    Last edited by Geshmaal; December 24th, 2009 at 15:14. Reason: Message was in bold for some reason...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you get the battalion you'll have more of less a unit of marauders, a unit of warriors, a unit of knights and 10 warhounds. next I would say get:

Marauder horsemen. they are cheap and very useful in all the ways fast cav can be.
    A Hellcannon. If you know how to guess distance well, this model has won me games and has paid for it's price every time I've used it.
    Maybe a chaos chariot (which you can use as a chaos warshrine as well)
    Lord on disc, Lord with Juggernaut, foot model sorcerers and heros.

Hope this helps.

PS. Chaos spawn are fun indeed, however I take a hellcannon as a rare choice every time over them, If you get into higher point games a chaos warshrine or a dragon ogre shaggoth take that number 2 spot on my list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just starting a WOC army as well actually. My list is the Siglvald 2000pts one in the army list section if anyone would like to comment! I would definitely suggest getting a couple of boxes of Marauder horses in tandem with the battalion set. You get about 11 extra heads on the horse sprues and they are a lot nicer than the ones you get on the foot marauder sprues. Are BSB's essential in a WOC list? My previous army was also Dwarfs where you do kind of need them but are they as 'must have' for WOC? I've concluded no currently and am taking a Lord (Sigvald, or the model + my own equipment) and 2 sorcerers.

If it helps; by buying Sigvald, the battalion set, 2 boxes of chosen (could easily and more cheaply be done with a box of warriors - I just like a models), and a box of horsemen I've put together a nice, balanced (in my opinion) 2000pts list. Went for Sigvald, 2 sorcerers (conversions), 12 foot marauders, 12 warriors, 5 horsemen, 2 x 5 hounds, 10 chosen and 5 knights. Wasn't too expensive overall!

+ Reply to Thread