Recently started WOC and could do with some pointers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently started WOC and could do with some pointers

Playing a couple games this weekend,my WOC vs my mates WOC and then my greenskinz against his WOC.
    I have only just started playing with WOC and id appreciate any tips both playing with them and against them as both will happen in one game.
    This is a list of the models i have and beloway that the list i have created for the game on sunday

MODELS
    Lord on dragon(oh yeah baby) lol
    2 x sorcerer's
    Exalted hero
    30 x marauder warriors
    13 chaos warriors (i use them as chosen aswell)
    1 x warshrine (made it yesterday,dont luk to bad...made it as though its floating on magic being pulled by a daemonic steed
    Giant
    i have got an old(very old)daemon prince. hes a 25mm based model dont rally wanna use him if i dont have too though

2002 pt list(my mate always likes to go couple points over so i have started to)
    Chaos Lord on Dragon - shield,Mark of Tzeentch,diabolic splendour,acid ichor,top,Favour of the gods,hellfire sword
    I have given him a 5+ward in total along with his 4+ armour save (not including parry bonus)and the dragons 3+ armour save, which i think is good enough to keep him alive seens as i will get him wer i want with flying and he does have 5 toughness.diabolic splendour will just mean the terror caused by the dragon will be harder to pass .Favour of the gods,well hes going after characters,challenging and i think i will kill one or two characters especially when i will get the charge and his weapon only needs to get 1 wound through to kill any character with 2wounds as it does D3 +1 so minimum of 2
    Chaos Sorcerer - disk of tzeentch(wich i made out of goblin weapons and greenstuff lol) level 2,Mark of Tzeentch,crown of conquest,homonculus gift
    As you can see this is my main magic in the army. d3 to a spell a turn,+1 to cat from the mark. and good luck trying to kill him,4+as 6+ward save 4+regeneration and he is flying around every where he likes
    Chaos sorcerer - level 2,filth mace
    This sorcerer is basically just to add some more dispellage,and on the off chance one of his poison attacks causes a wound terror would be nice
    10 x Chaos Marauders
    This is just a core unit filler really,maybe tie some of his hard units up whilst i fly round killing him off,this unit is totally expendable at 40 points
    10 x Chaos Marauders
    Same as above
    10 x Chaos Marauders
    Same as above
    13 x Chosen - Command,Mark of Khorne,biting blade,Rapturous Standard
    This is my main attacking unit. Mark of khorne giving them frenzy meaning lots of attacks and the champs got that nice little weapon as an added bonus. Their hard to beat even if a round of combat doesnt go ther way with the insane courage on any double or a single 1
    Chaos Warshrine - Mark of Tzeentch
    It has to be taken doesnt it,i mean gives any unit you want a super power also it isnt exactly weak in combat is it with WS5 S4 and 5 attacks,and this one has got a 4+ armour save and a 3+ ward
    Chaos Giant - Mark of Slaneesh
    Hes big,hes hard,hes fun and unpreditable. Plus, if you dont kill him in the first round of combat will always be hitting the enemy first with always strikes first. some of his attacks remember stop the enemy fighting back even if he falls over he can do some serious damage

Anyways thats my list and how i plan to use it,im sure can get some ideas from some more experienced Warriors players

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not exactly an experienced WoC player (just lurking the forum because I'm interested in them) but from a general view your list seems rather character heavy. You only have 43 rank and file troops and no cav which wouldn't be all that bad except 30 of them are bog standard marauders. You may want to consider fleshing the list out because as strong as Chaos lords on dragons can be it seems like its your only really powerful thing barring your chosen, which with mark of khorne can often find themselves being baited around (especially with no hound screens)
    Last edited by THRILLHELM; January 15th, 2010 at 14:04. Reason: 43 troops not 40 lol
    Dwarfs 24/12/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Granted i need some cavalry,but until i have the money this be the models i have. And im not all to worried about being baited around as my opponent i dont think would do that,not smart enough lol. plus he always always always puts his hounds on the flanks so i will keep my chosen in the middle of the battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha believe me I know what its like to be limited by models. And it's always nice to have a friend you can count on to not see/exploit the weaknesses in your army. To be honest the only thing I'm really hesitant about is the fact that without your lord the army seems a bit threadbare (i know, models). It seems if the lord gets taken out quickly (which I don't even know if your opponents army has the capacity to do - as a Dwarf I never leave the mountain without a cannon) the rest of your army will ahve a tough time finishing without him. All just my outsiders opinion though.
    Dwarfs 24/12/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right,the lord is a big part of it,but im counting on him not being able to see it most of the time due to being behind him. im gonna let him have first turn, he always likes to start anyway and then just get out of line of sight.was thinking flying along side one of his units with low ld maybe his wolves,then when he starts his next turn terror hopefully run then see where that takes things. plus the giant should do good i think,be in combat my first turn maybe second depending on deployment and what he fields. and i know what you mean with cannons,when i play with my dwarfs i always am sure to take a cannon and my gyrocopter,love the thing.Only bad thing is hes playing with the same army and has a job so gets more models. i know he has 5 knights,12 chaos warriors,load of marauders,10 wolves,4 ogres, and a sorcerer and hero. and i know hes had more models delievered this week,but i dont know what they are, the git lol. Thing is though i only just got my giant and dragon delivered this week so hes got two big terror causing suprises mwauahahaha. Plus in our last game i used a hellcannon wich i dont have as it is too hard to find the model cheap but as i have dwarfs i had some cannons and dwarfs to field with it so used that,is that allowed ok? using pieces like that? me and my mate are normally ok with it and when i have been in Gamesworkshop before playing with lizardmen the manager suggested using some of my saurus warriors as temple gaurds so i know gamesowrkshop give a little leaway like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's called proxying and in most friendly matches you'll get away with it, especially if your using GW minis to stand in for other similar ones. It's when you start using things like random objects to be your monsters and army men to be your troops that things get a bit sketchy. To be honest I'm not all that sure how chaos armies work tactically but your idea of keeping the lord out of sight seems sound. A tip to make sure those hounds run is try and blast your dragon's breath weapon into their flank (get as much covered by the template as possible). Because they'll probly be in a unit of 5 you only have to off 2 to force a panic test. Be sure to let me know how this battle goes for you.
    Dwarfs 24/12/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well once i fly into the flank the chaos dragon will be using two breathe weapons(its allowed) lol. so dont really expect the hounds to survive it but if they do should be running. the item on my general makes any terror tests taken from the dragon to make the unit taking the test have -1 to their leadership aswell so hounds wont live past round 1.
    And after the games on sunday i will post on here the results of both the Orcs v WOC and the WOC face off. might do a small battle report for it too. migth be useful for people as theres going to be alot of different WOC models used

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I had a feeling chaos dragons had 2. Only thing about the actual targetting of the hounds is that it's highly doubtful that they're going to be crucial to your opponents strategy and were probably only intended as a meat shield to begin with. Just before you breathe fiery doom upon them consider whether more valuable targets may be in reach.
    Dwarfs 24/12/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very true,he normally uses them to run round the side of the table and then flank me. One other thing i really need to know about and cant find anything on is the base size of Giants. anyone who has had a giant before will realise that the new giants are on bigger bases,what are the rules on models and their bases? i mean can i put this new giant on a normal base and it be ok? or does it HAVE to have this new sized base?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest I'm completely unsure about that. For your friendly I'd say it wouldn't matter too much but in other cases I'd say it'd be best if it was on that new sized base. And about the hounds on the flip side destroying them means they CAN'T flank you and do all sorts of annoying things like march block.
    Dwarfs 24/12/2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast