199pts Warbands, need help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

199pts Warbands, need help

Hey guys, me again. My friends from the local hobby store told me they're starting a warbands campain in April, and I figure this is a perfect opportunity to get a look at the game, as well as my army. My birthday is around the corner, so I'll have the money to pick a couple of boxes up. I'm just wondering, where should I start for the warband? Warriors? or Marauders? I'd really appreciate some help, maybe even a list suggestion. The only other teams I know that are playing are another WoC player, and maybe Beastmen, but I dont want to tailor my list to fight them. I just want a strong list that'll get me through

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to consider

5 Chaos Warriors
    Shields, Halbards, Champ
    97 pts: can't use shields and halbards in the same turn, but you get 3+save from shooting and the choice between extra armour or extra strength in CC. This is a popular choice of equipment.

5 Marauder Horsemen
    Shields,Spears, Musician
    MoS

91points, immune to panic,fear and terror, fast cav, Ranged attack

AND could someone verify this: +1S on the charge (not sure if Throwing spears are the same as spears for this). In other turns I think you can opt to use handweapons and shield for a 5+save if you want.

Leaves you 11pts, I'd go for thowing (S4 ranged attack) or- Flails and throwing axes but no shields on the cav.

Just an idea, I'm no expert, but no-one else was replying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In warbands a unit must meet normal minimum size before yo u can give it command options. So what you'll probably need to aim for is something more like:

6 Chaos Warriors, Shields
    96 pts: I prefer just simple shields over halberds/shield combo in such low point games. Having a 2+ armor save in close combat is awesome and I don't often miss the halberds.

5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails, Mark of Slaneesh, Champion
    97 pts: They are fast cavalry, which will allow you to manuever them around the battlefield very efficiently to set up flanks/rear charges and otherwise support your warriors. With flails they pack quite the punch during the initial assault.

This gets you to 193 points.

With the remaining 7 points you have quite a few options:
    • Light Armor on the horsemen, if you want those extra armor saves
    • Musucian on the horsemen, if you want to set up counter charges with you warriors. Essentially let your opponent charge the horsemen and run way to set up a charge with your warriors. Since Horsemen are fast cavalry they get to move after rallying, and the extra +1 to do so would be great.
    • Throwing Spears on the Horsemen, not quite as good as Axes but you could use these to run around your enemies units pelting them with spears before you decide to charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about using horsemen and giving them axes, i thought it would be great to run circles around his units and toss str 4 shots at him constantly. I know i need a champion in atleast one of my units so i can nominate him as my hero, and i thought that having the block of 10 warriors and a champion would cost too much, so i was going to go with a couple of units of marauders. But now that you bring up the horsemen, I think i'll go with that, that sounds like a great idea. Question is, flails, or axes? Do I make them so that they rear/flank charge to support my warriors? Or do I run them up to march block him and whittle his unit down with ranged attacks? What to do, what to do....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could drop MoS and get both - plus the Musician. Don't forget that they still get to re-roll panic tests (will of chaos) and might still pass fear tests if they need to, which they possibly won't. Terror probably won't be an issue at 199pts.

I'd definately go for a musician. 'Bait and flee' is a satisfying tactic and as they fallback 3D6 they are not likely to get caught, but might run off the board. Also the Musician gives you the advantage in a drawn combat.

ALSO the MHorsemen models are sooo cool and quite cheap £wise for a unit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

6 Warriors w/shields

5 Warhounds

15 Marauders w/musician, standard

That'd be my list of choice.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the number crunch and if i drop the MoS, I can only afford a musician and throwing spears, which aren't str 4 but hey, its a ranged attack.
    Last edited by ScionoftheStorms; February 22nd, 2010 at 20:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this would be just the dirtiest list I can think of:

4 naked knights

5x marauders

5x marauders

- the marauders are just there for core, and to give what ever flank protection the can to the nights, but the knights would just eat people's lunch, 1, maybe 2 turns of combat at most. Thier high save and 8 strength 5 attacks, plus 4 strength 4 attacks, at 200 points there isnt much that can stand up to that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm that list would hit hard, but remember, you need a unit champion in one of the groups to nominate as your general, so this wouldnt work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note that if you do want knights it is still certainly possible. Your putting alot of faith in the knights, but its certainly do-able. I might even hazard dropping light armor on the big unit of marauders to make the second at least 5 strong so it can capture a board quarter if need be.

10 Marauders, LA, Shields, Champion 68

3 Marauders xxx

3 Knights xxx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast