Topic of the Week - Dragon Ogre Shaggoth - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Shaggoth

What weapon option do you take with it and are they worth the points? How is it best used? Why would you favour this over a giant? Or other options?

Discuss.

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A must against Skaven. Can just march up to the doomwheel and eat it, becoming Frenzied on the way. Don't fancy his chances against the regenerating H-Bomb though. Not enough attacks. Actually don't fancy him against the front rank of a static combat res 5 unit either. Not enough attacks, you only have to miss a few and you automatically lose.

I've only seen one used once and my Ogre Tyrant mashed it to paste. Personally, I'd rather go for the Giant as you can hit a front rank of a 5 Static res unit and reasonably expect to win CC or Yell and Bawl and I like the randomness of the giant also. Except Vs Doomwheel.

Also my MoS Giant is cool while my shagoth is missing a front leg and isn't glued together. Though I accept that this may not be the case for everyone.
    Last edited by Face-Smasher; February 22nd, 2010 at 20:28.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I didn't like the move from str7 to str 8, nor the armor from 3+ to a 4+. I always ran one with bait and fleeing giant in my beastmen book, but now the WoC giant is ITP, so that option is out.

He's not worthless, he's a combat machine. It just comes down to his cost (at least he has a save, take that beastmen!) and I'd probably throw him up against most of the new beastmen's rares. But in all honesty we have so many better choice and warriors in general are all about finding those extra few points and this guy costs a lot more than an extra few points.

Take him if you want, he'll try his best at doing a good job. He's not a crappy option, but it might not be the most competitive picks.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use him as a rank breaker, give him additional hand weapon and use him to support knights, he is also god at hunting cavalry as he is fast enough.If you give him great weapon he is solid against Stank and similar units.
    But he is to expensive warshrine or MOS giant is a better choice in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Disclaimer, I never used one. That being said I will add my thoughts to this thread.

First, his close combat attacks are quite destructive. His 5 attacks should be hitting on 3+ and wounding on 2+ quite often. Armed with a great weapon, the shaggoth is probably the best creature to kill knights and anything with high save. The only problem I see is of course the lack of static res.. It is a little bit compensate by ld9. I think the only units he can safely engage head on are light/heavy cavalry and skirmishers or any unit lacking static res. Nothe that another strong point in favor of the Shaggoth is his movement rating of 7 which makes him as fast as heavy cavalry.

His defence is somewhat average for a large target. He may have 6 wounds, but he only has T5 and a 4+ Sv. He still is tougher to bring down than a naked giant, but not by that much. The 4+ Sv is nice vs arrows, but crossbows and powder weapons are still pretty effective against him. It is also important to note that in close combat, his high WS will probably results in enemy hitting on 4+.

To sum up, the shaggoth is great at delivering multiple high strength hits and moves at the speed as heavy cavalry. His defence is somewhat similar to the giant, T5 6W, but has better WS and a 4+Sv. Is Achilles’ heel is static res. or rather is lack of. The shaggoth is thus an excellent flanking unit that can keep up with anything but flyers. Ultimately, for the points he cost, I find the shaggoth rather costly for what he does.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

They're impressive, just not impressive enough to warrant their points, in my opinion. Besides, I need those rare slots for hellcannons and cheap chaos spawn. I'd rather use chariots, ogres, knights, or dragon ogres for filling the same niche instead.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; February 23rd, 2010 at 16:36.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally disagree!
    I often run 2 in my monster horde army with kholek Throgg 2 scroll candys and 3 troll units and so far i'm 5wins-0draws-0loses they are definate rank breakers and using their extra speen on the trolls can easily get round the sides and destroy units.
    1 more thing is that they can take both a great weapon and an additional hand weapon so they can come prepared for anything unlike the giant whos complete randomness can win or lose you the game.
    I love Shaggoths and I dont think people give them much of a chance, over the 5 games I've played only 1 has died, they are much tougher to kill than giants so I think it is well worth the extra 40 points to get one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

But...hellcannons! I can't replace my beloved hellcannons!

This is like having to choose between your own children...and one of them is a hellcannon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

I find that a hellcannon is more useful in infantry heavy list because of it's slow speed. In a cavalry list, I would definitively look for a giant or shaggoth instead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by dapredator66 View Post
    I find that a hellcannon is more useful in infantry heavy list because of it's slow speed. In a cavalry list, I would definitively look for a giant or shaggoth instead.
    Ah, well that's definitely possible. Personally, I tend to use more infantry than cavalry, so I tend to want the hellcannon more than anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with the cavalry in the list, it's just not my style.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast