Book of secrets on a lvl 4 Sorcerer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Book of secrets on a lvl 4 Sorcerer

Hi guys,
    lately I've been thinking about leaving my Sorcerer Lord unmarked, lvl 4, and give him a spell familiar and book of secrets. My question concerns the spell attribution mechanics of the book of secrets. I figured out that it was a way to know every spells from either the lore of death, fire or shadows, as I can't get the same spell twice (knowing all the spells being the only reason I would take this option over the lore of Tzeentch or Nurgle. It's just that when I spend 600+ points on magic, I like to know I can cast what I choose the lore for...). But Let's say that I choose the lore of fire and get 5 spells that I want, and doesn't mind about the 6th one, I guess I'm free to choose another lore (shadow or death) with the book of spells. Thing is, let's say I did not get firewall, am I allowed to choose the lore of fire with the item, and would I get the 6th spell automatically ? How do you think I should work it out ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesuit View Post
    Hi guys,
    lately I've been thinking about leaving my Sorcerer Lord unmarked, lvl 4, and give him a spell familiar and book of secrets. My question concerns the spell attribution mechanics of the book of secrets. I figured out that it was a way to know every spells from either the lore of death, fire or shadows, as I can't get the same spell twice
    (knowing all the spells being the only reason I would take this option over the lore of Tzeentch or Nurgle. It's just that when I spend 600+ points on magic, I like to know I can cast what I choose the lore for...). But Let's say that I choose the lore of fire and get 5 spells that I want, and doesn't mind about the 6th one, I guess I'm free to choose another lore (shadow or death) with the book of spells. Thing is, let's say I did not get firewall, am I allowed to choose the lore of fire with the item, and would I get the 6th spell automatically ? How do you think I should work it out ?
    In the recent FAQ, gw states that you can in fact get the same spell twice through book of secrets, this means you can elect to know all the spells, or take one of them twice, assuming you roll accordingly.
    Last edited by Ayliffe; April 4th, 2010 at 19:25.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing with marks is that they give and take when it comes to wizards. Mark of Tzeentch gives you a +1 to cast and a +1 cumulative to your already existing ( if any ) ward save to begin with. But I would probably think of an assortment of items to give my wizard some decent protection if he is to be Undivided.

I actually prefer keeping my sorcerer undivided now that I think of it hahaha. Good idea here pal and one I will use in the games to come !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayliffe View Post
    In the recent FAQ, gw states that you can in fact get the same spell twice through book of secrets, this means you can elect to know all the spells, or take one of them twice, assuming you roll accordingly.
    Does this then mean you will be able to cast that "double" spell twice then ?
    I like the idea of knowing a whole lore !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

ya for instance, if you took Lore of Shadows, before rolling for spells, you could just say ill take the whole lore, or you roll for spells and we'll say you roll (with spell fam) 1,2,3,4,5 for your wizard, and 5 for BoS. In essence you can use 5 twice (which is unseen lurker i think? nasty shit) or you could swap the 5 on BoS for 1 and use that twice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya for instance, if you took Lore of Shadows, before rolling for spells, you could just say ill take the whole lore, or you roll for spells and we'll say you roll (with spell fam) 1,2,3,4,5 for your wizard, and 5 for BoS. In essence you can use 5 twice (which is unseen lurker i think? nasty shit) or you could swap the 5 on BoS for 1 and use that twice.
    Yeah sounds deadly. Thanks for clearing this up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

at least this is how i interpret it since the FAQ, since it says you know one more spell, but the FAQ says you can take spells twice. If someone knows more about this go ahead and correct me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at least this is how i interpret it since the FAQ, since it says you know one more spell, but the FAQ says you can take spells twice. If someone knows more about this go ahead and correct me.
    Wow, that breaks everything. Its gives back the ''randomnes factor'', but being able to cast steal soul, unseen lurker, pit of shades and the like twice a turn on 4 dices ? That's simply broken IMO. In my opinion, Wizards can only cast a given spell once a turn (but this being the first case where a wizard could know the same spell twice...). I prefer the second option (for double unseen lurker), but the first one makes more sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

i agree, it's pretty broken, IF you get that spell twice. But i'll quote the FAQ word for word:

Q: If a Sorcerer or Sorcerer Lord purchases the Book of Secrets and chooses the same lore for both the book and their own spells, would this allow them to have a duplicate of a spell? If so, could they cast the spell twice in one phase?

A: Yes, that seems acceptable

another question about the book is:

Q: Can a model with the Book of Secrets swap his spell for the first lore as normal?

A:Yes, He can.

So ya, book of secrets with the puppet some where in an army is pretty nasty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I just read the FAQ, I don't like the term used. ''acceptable''. It ain't, but who cares ? We just got a new nasty trick !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast