The grinder tactica ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The grinder tactica ?

Hi guys,
    It's probably an old trick of ours, but I wanted to know if anybody as used and tested it to success. Bsb with BotG, supporting one to three WoC units. On average, these units have little chances to ever break, with the proper marking are virtually immune to panic/fear/terror, and can act as a grinder, let me explain. 6x2 units receiving a charge from an elite infantry block/cavalry. Chances are that they won't kill enough WoC to neutralize the first rank, but they'll kill enough to make our strike back inefficient. Ld 8 stubborn with re-roll break test means we stay in combat, and at I5, we usually beat our opponents at striking first the next turn, therefore getting our full potential of attacks, and hopefully winning combats on our kills. Thing is we can virtually repeat this process every turn. I'm even thinking about using blocks of 15, 5x3, in order to maximize the grinding effect of our units.

Is this set up easily avoided ? Do you think it is reliable ? Supported by proper Magic/Character, I'm pretty sure this makes for nearly impossible to break units.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Well, first of all- you're looking at 710pts base, just for 2 units of 15 warriors and a BSB. That's a heft chunk of an army. It would indeed make for a solid core in close-quarters, but it's filling out nearly half of your army.

There is a very quick way around this rule: Fear.
    If they can outnumber you with a fear-causer and then beat you in CC, it won't matter if you're Stubborn with LD10, you're still rolling on 'Insane Courage'.
    Furthermore, just as with any plate army, you'll have difficulty with enemy shooting. Of course, Nurgle can mitigate this, at an extra cost of 90pts for the package.

Otherwise yes, it is an old and tried-and-true tactic. We could sit here and "what-if" this setup for as long as we wanted to. There is always something that can come around and stomp a combo like this, if the enemy is determined enough. However, this is indeed one of our reliable tricks when playing defense.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

If they are marked slaanesh than, yes they are hard to break. But there are so many other flaws with it, that it becomes 700+ points of useless in a lot of cases.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Is the list more effective with Marauder Infantry instead of WOC? Instead of a grinder, its more like a catcher, and units 'caught' are then flanked by chaos knights or dragon ogres. This also frees up points for some hounds or marauder horsemen to direct enemies into the stubborn blocks.

Or is this also ineffective because it is so slow and easily avoided?
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

without anything to force an opponent towards it, it's useless. The only way to make it somewhat useful, is to make your opponent come to you through out magicing or shooting (lol... right).

Maybe running 3 disc sorcs with bounds spells and BoS for as many magic missiles as possible to force the enemy to get into combat, but in games against gun lines you're ****ed.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesuit View Post
    Hi guys,
    It's probably an old trick of ours, but I wanted to know if anybody as used and tested it to success. Bsb with BotG, supporting one to three WoC units. On average, these units have little chances to ever break, with the proper marking are virtually immune to panic/fear/terror, and can act as a grinder, let me explain. 6x2 units receiving a charge from an elite infantry block/cavalry. Chances are that they won't kill enough WoC to neutralize the first rank, but they'll kill enough to make our strike back inefficient. Ld 8 stubborn with re-roll break test means we stay in combat, and at I5, we usually beat our opponents at striking first the next turn, therefore getting our full potential of attacks, and hopefully winning combats on our kills. Thing is we can virtually repeat this process every turn. I'm even thinking about using blocks of 15, 5x3, in order to maximize the grinding effect of our units.

Is this set up easily avoided ? Do you think it is reliable ? Supported by proper Magic/Character, I'm pretty sure this makes for nearly impossible to break units.
    The strategy works indeed and it is very reliable if you know how to place your unit and how to support them. The army will never win big victories nor will it loose badly. Expect a lot of minor victory or defeat. As for going heavy magic, even with full magic, not all your opponents will come to you. In fact, any worthy general will have more then enough shooting to sit back and wait for you. This is the list I brought to my last tournament http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1639474 (Help Me Choose My Tournament List [Poll] WoC 2250) (I went with the Chaos Lord selection). Out of 6 games, I had 3 victory (2 MinorV, 1 MajorV) and 3 defeats (2 MinorD, 1 MajorD). Most of my victories were due to the chaos lord charging out of his unit to kill the enemy general or cavalry unit. This gave more mobility to my list and often caught my opponent by surprise. So yeah, you need support by a proper list of character. As for your 3x5 warriors setup, the quantity is good but with BotG it is best to have 2x6 with 3 extras.

--- EDIT ---

The tactic is less effective with marauders. Your opponent will target other units that are worth more points. If you use big blocks of warriors with character inside, your opponent will need to engage them to get the points. So the grinder tactica is in fact, just a variation of the point denial tactica.
    Last edited by dapredator66; April 6th, 2010 at 19:42.

+ Reply to Thread