Validity of two hell cannons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Validity of two hell cannons?

I've never been up for using hell cannons, because i never see them doing anything worthwhile, but i was looking at their stats and i realized.. They're tougher hydras that don't move as quickly but have a S5 stone thrower on their back for an extra 30 points. My thinking is, if they are used more as monsters than warmachines, and just use the cannon in the first two turns to weaken or destroy certain units, they could be very valuable to an army.

I'm thinking about running a 14 PD 2 Bound spell 2 hell cannon list with some knights and horsemen for combat.

Does anyone run two hellcannons? How do you run them? How do they do? What else is in the list?

I was thinking about running a list like this:

Sorcerer Lord
    Mark of Slaanesh, Level 4, Steed of Slaanesh
    Spell familiar, Book of Secrets, Golden Eye of Tzeentch
    Diabolic Splendour

Sorcerer
    Mark of Tzeentch, level 2, Disc
    Rod of Torment

Sorcerer
    Mark of Tzeentch, Level 2, Disc
    Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection

Sorcerer
    Mark of Nurgle, Level 2, Steed
    Power familiar

Or

Chaos lord
    Mark of Tzeentch, Dragon
    Runeshield, Collar of Khorne, Sword of might

Exalted hero
    BSB, Mark of Nurgle, Steed, Flail, Shield
    Fury of the blood god

Scroll caddie.

10 marauders

5 dogs

5 dogs

5 Marauder Horsemen
    Mark of Khorne, Flails, Light armour

5 Marauder Horsemen
    Mark of Slaanesh, Flails, Light armour, Music

6 Knights
    Standard, Musician

6 Knights
    Standard, Musician

Hellcannon

Hellcannon

Last edited by Ayliffe; April 7th, 2010 at 23:48.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

I've thought about similar lists but never bothered to try them. against certain armies (low ld hordes) I think they would do ridiculously well

Might be worth trying to squeeze the doom totem in as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 2 hellcannons is abit cheesy but terrifying nonetheless. I'd go with just 1 hellcannon at first to see how it plays out then maybe add in another one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

Humm im not sure how hellcannons will go in all cav.

They could hold the rear quarters as they are to slow to keep up with the rest of the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Generally though, with a magic list you don't need to go headlong into the enemy, you can sit and weaken them with magic, and in this case, two hell cannons. Then setup your charges, and when the enemy gets into charge range, you charge the weakened foe.

I don't think the Doom totem is a good idea, because against armies where the list already struggles (ItP), its 75 wasted points, and against hte armies the list will do well against, it's not needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Generally hellcannon have a place in a heavy infantry list. If you however plan on hanging back with your cavalry, yeah 2 hellcannons are a good idea with your list. Be warned that you just entered the land of spamming and cheese with 2 cannons. 1 Hellcannon is ridiculously difficult to get rid of, I would never field 2.

As for tactics, you need to use them as steam tanks. The S5 stone throwers is just there in case you need the cannon to hang back. In almost all situations you get a better use out of it by firing one round and then moving it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I often field one hell cannon but I field a cavalry infantry mix. Ill often put my infantry in the middle, cavalry on one side, and then a hellcannon on the other flank and it can hold it all by himself. Theyre very tough for their points cost and even though they only move six they charge 12. Plus theyre very fun to play with and awesome models. As far as fielding 2 cannons, well yes it would be cheesy but whatever the armies I see at tournaments nowadays I really could care less, but I wouldn't go bringing 2 hellcannons to a casual game. As far as tactically viable I would say very much so, but I have no experience with 2 hellcannons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Thanks for all the replies, i've never seen someone use a steam tank to great affect, so i don't exactly know how to use hellcannons in the same way, if someone could elaborate i'd appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Maybe the steam tank example was bad, I only referred to it because both machines can shoot but are more effective in close combat. Although there are exceptions, I think the best use of the hellcannon is as an anvil unit that moves like a chariot. You may fire the first round but forget about it the rest of the time. The only exception would be if you know your opponent will threaten your rear line (dragon...). In that case, it stays in the back in a counter-charge position and shoots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hellcannons also make units hit take a LD test -1, so make BSB with the banner that makes all enemy LD tests and additional -1, and stick him on a hill so everybody can see him, this way whatever you hit takes a LD test -2!!

if you make your BSB nurgle its pretty safe to stand him alone on a hill top so all enemies can draw line of sight to him, with nurgle it makes it hard to shoot down; single model + over half range + nurgle = -3 to shoot at! with a 4+ AS.

the banner might give -2 to LD tests, not really sure, but that would be even better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast