First game against orcs. Seeking advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First game against orcs. Seeking advice.

So i'm finally getting around to playing my first game of warhammer fantasy. My opponent is going to be bringing orcs, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice against this army. I don't want to get slaughtered. Here is my current list.

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch 329
    General
    Magic Level 4
    Spell Familiar
    Chaos Steed

Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeentch 190
    Magic Level 2
    Dispel Scroll
    Power Familiar

Magic Level 2
    Book of Secrets
    Dispel Scroll

Exalted Hero of Slaanesh 174 *Will join the knights*
    Halberd
    Shield
    Daemonic Mount

5 Chaos Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

5 Chaos Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

20 Chaos Marauders of Slaanesh 170
    Flail
    Light Armour
    Shield
    Full Command

12 Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh 269
    Halberd
    Shield
    Full Command
    War Banner

5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh 96
    Throwing Axes
    Shield
    Musician

Throwing Axes
    Shield
    Musician

5 Chaos Knights of Nurgle 295
    Ensorcelled Weapons
    Shield
    Standard
    Musician
    Banner of Rage

5 Chaos Knights of Nurgle 260
    Ensorcelled Weapons
    Shield
    Standard
    Musician

2 Chaos Spawn 110
    Casting Pool: 12

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 68

Total Army Cost: 2249

Thanks any advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play against O&G fairly often, the main things you're going to have to look out for are war machines and Static res units. You will also need to look out for Fanatics in his Night Goblin units, they can turn a great charge into a horrible rout quite easily.

The only thing I would change on your list is to drop the Daemonic Mount on the Exalted, if he is going to join a unit of knights anyway the Fear isn't really necessary. I would change to either a Steed of Slaanesh or a Chaos Steed to pick up a few more points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm sure I'll learn more about my army with each and every game. Should be fun either way. I was also considering dropping the Spawn and adding a Giant to help possibly soak up any large range attachs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dshavers View Post
    So i'm finally getting around to playing my first game of warhammer fantasy. My opponent is going to be bringing orcs, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice against this army. I don't want to get slaughtered. Here is my current list.

General
    Magic Level 4
    Spell Familiar
    Chaos Steed

Magic Level 2
    Dispel Scroll
    Power Familiar

Magic Level 2
    Book of Secrets
    Dispel Scroll

All good here.

Halberd
    Shield
    Daemonic Mount

Like stated, just put him on a steed of slannesh or chaos steed.

5 Chaos Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

5 Chaos Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

I'd say lose the scaly skin, they're meant to die anyways, since you'd want to use them to bait the fanatics, unless you really think the 6+ save will help them get there.

Flail
    Light Armour
    Shield
    Full Command

A solid block, looks great, just remember you can't use the shields and flails in CC.

Halberd
    Shield
    Full Command
    War Banner

Looks good to me.
    Throwing Axes
    Shield
    Musician

Throwing Axes
    Shield
    Musician

Great for march blocking and harrassing, great choice.
    Ensorcelled Weapons
    Shield
    Standard
    Musician
    Banner of Rage
    A common setup, works great, make sure they don't get baited and they'll hit like a tonne of bricks.

Ensorcelled Weapons
    Shield
    Standard
    Musician

2 Chaos Spawn 110
    Casting Pool: 12

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 68

Total Army Cost: 2249

Thanks any advance for any help.
    Comments in red.
    Looks great over all, one problem you'll have, as do all chaos players, will be that he will outnumber you most likely, and have more static combat res. The fact that you only have one big block to hold his blocks in combat might prove a problem, since you might not be able to break all of his blocks with those hard-hitting knights. The chaos spawn may be able to help with this, but then again, I don't have much experience with using spawn. If you can do us all a favor and post up the battle report and let us know what he had and how it went, we can see what went good and/or bad.

Good luck with the fight!
    FOR CHAOS!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

You have a very small portion of your army on foot. Namely, one large block and a flanking block for it. Why not drop them for more M.Horsemen and perhaps a unit of Dragon Ogres or more knights.
    Orcs are an aggressive army, so this is one place where it would be safe to field an army made entirely of foot-sloggers, but as it stands, you seem to be splitting your forces down the middle. Either you have far too many fast/flanking choices in the Cavalry, or you have slow-moving infantry in a cavalry list. Try to strike a balance, either be eliminating the infantry, or by swapping some of that cavalry for more bodies on the field.

Otherwise, follow everything else you've heard.
    Remember also that Orcs aren't particularly magical, and prefer "fighter" characters. So if you want to meet him on his own ground, be prepared to bring a lot of pain. If you want to dominate a phase though... magic would be the way to go, because oddly enough, he'll outshoot you.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will totally give your changes a try. Thanks for the help. I'll do my best to keep track of each turn, but as this is my first game, I'm going to have a hard enough time understanding what's all going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheStorms View Post
    Comments in red.
    Looks great over all, one problem you'll have, as do all chaos players, will be that he will outnumber you most likely, and have more static combat res. The fact that you only have one big block to hold his blocks in combat might prove a problem, since you might not be able to break all of his blocks with those hard-hitting knights. The chaos spawn may be able to help with this, but then again, I don't have much experience with using spawn. If you can do us all a favor and post up the battle report and let us know what he had and how it went, we can see what went good and/or bad.

Good luck with the fight!
    FOR CHAOS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I originally planned this army having a bit more magic, so hopefully it will pay off. Unfortunately this is pretty much the army that I currently have to my disposal. I might be able to spring up a few more warriors to make 18 instead of 12. I have a giant and some ogre ironguts that might be able to be proxies for chaos ogres if any of that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    You have a very small portion of your army on foot. Namely, one large block and a flanking block for it. Why not drop them for more M.Horsemen and perhaps a unit of Dragon Ogres or more knights.
    Orcs are an aggressive army, so this is one place where it would be safe to field an army made entirely of foot-sloggers, but as it stands, you seem to be splitting your forces down the middle. Either you have far too many fast/flanking choices in the Cavalry, or you have slow-moving infantry in a cavalry list. Try to strike a balance, either be eliminating the infantry, or by swapping some of that cavalry for more bodies on the field.

Otherwise, follow everything else you've heard.
    Remember also that Orcs aren't particularly magical, and prefer "fighter" characters. So if you want to meet him on his own ground, be prepared to bring a lot of pain. If you want to dominate a phase though... magic would be the way to go, because oddly enough, he'll outshoot you.
    Last edited by dshavers; April 13th, 2010 at 08:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dshavers View Post

General
    Magic Level 4
    Spell Familiar
    Chaos Steed

Magic Level 2
    Dispel Scroll
    Power Familiar

Magic Level 2
    Book of Secrets
    Dispel Scroll

Halberd
    Shield
    Daemonic Mount

5 Chaos Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

5 Chaos Warhounds
    Scaly Skin

Flail
    Light Armour
    Shield
    Full Command

Halberd
    Shield
    Full Command
    War Banner

Throwing Axes
    Shield
    Musician

Throwing Axes
    Shield
    Musician

Ensorcelled Weapons
    Shield
    Standard
    Musician
    Banner of Rage

Ensorcelled Weapons
    Shield
    Standard
    Musician
    Get rid of Throwing Axe's from marauders you wont be killing anything with +4/+5 to hit +4 to wound, get yourself another units of warhounds for baiting fanatics out and get rid of scale skin from dogs they are sopouse to die +6 save dont make any difference, make your units of knights six man units. marauders need to be 25 man unit. Or try punting in 10 man unit of maruders ( to fill core ) and try filling some chariots ? and a question what u will do if they have a giant ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a point. When there's orcs, there's giants. If you want to go for a foot slogger, take a hellcannon. He could always gateway the giant, but that may not be the most reliable option.

Do you have a limit on models? Can you purchase more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHA well if he has a giant I might be screwed. All I have to spare right now, is a Giant and maybe a few more warriors. Other than that, that's all I can afford or build right now. The more games I play, I'm sure i'll expand my army to add a bit more versitility.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheStorms View Post
    He has a point. When there's orcs, there's giants. If you want to go for a foot slogger, take a hellcannon. He could always gateway the giant, but that may not be the most reliable option.

Do you have a limit on models? Can you purchase more?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast