Is a Hellcannon good? its move 6 but charge 12? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hellcannon good or not?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Waste of points.

1 7.69%
  • Mediocre.

2 15.38%
  • Good.

6 46.15%
  • Hydra good.

4 30.77%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Is a Hellcannon good? its move 6 but charge 12?

Is a Hellcannon good? My mate just text me saying the hellcannon is 12 charge, neither of us knew in alll the games we've had, it appears to be 12" charge in the Erratta and FAQ.

Does that make it good, really good? or a waste of points, too slow, spend the points on warshrines, knights, chosen etc?

I think I'd spend my points on chosen on a warschrine, after that you can't really afford a hellcannon in 2k, even 2250.

Last edited by DoctorDogmeat; June 5th, 2010 at 03:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

As an army we'll never be able to compete in the shooting phase, since the Hellcannon is the only thing in it that can shoot. That being said, it does give us some long-range firepower (important to help keep your Warriors and other slow-moving units alive before they reach CC), add to this that it causes Terror, is Unbreakable, has 5 strength 5 attacks in CC, and has unit strength 5. This means that your opponent can't just send a cheap fast cav. unit to sneak up the side and kill it, oh no, he has to dedicate some serious krumpage to deal with the problem. So, to sum up:
    Pros:
    - Adds a shooting phase!
    - Helps keep your troops etc alive by eliminating long-range threats
    - Can do some serious damage in close combat, making it difficult for your opponent to remove it as a threat.
    - Isn't going anywhere quickly
    - Causes terror, so you may not even need to fight.
    - Unbreakable, so they have to kill it outright.
    - Conversions for it are freakin' awesome, my one is three dwarf cannons put together to make a Triple-Gun with mutant growths resembling arms and legs popping out using greenstuff.

Cons:
    - Relatively expensive
    - Misfire rules are a bitch (it's a bound daemon, what do you expect? )
    - Rampage can be inconvenient, just one more thing to worry about, but remember that even with the crew gone you can still attempt to fire, you just need to make the Ld test on Ld 4
    - Takes up a Rare choice, which is a slot in which we are spoilt for choice unfortunately (Dragon Ogre Shaggoths om nom nom)

So yeah, I would use one, since I like cannons and the Hellcannon is the best of the best, but if it doesn't fit in your army it's best to leave it out and pick something that fits better. On a personal note, I don't like getting to my shooting phase and just passing over it, hence the Hellcannon.
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDogmeat View Post
    Is a Hellcannon good? My mate just text me saying the hellcannon is 12 charge, neither of us knew in alll the games we've had, it appears to be 12" charge in the Erratta and FAQ.

Does that make it good, really good? or a waste of points, too slow, spend the points on warshrines, knights, chosen etc?

I think I'd spend my points on chosen on a warschrine, after that you can't really afford a hellcannon in 2k, even 2250.

The Hellcannon is a bargain for it's point but it will only fit in infantry heavy list (slow speed, 12inch charge is enough if it's supporting infantry) and requires the Infernal Puppet magic items if you go magic heavy.

People often make the mistake to use the hellcannon as a stone thrower. It isn't. You need to use it like a steam tank. The hellcannon excel at being an anvil unit. You can shoot with it, but it's not require. If you do it, you need a good reason to shoot more than 1 turn else you wont make it in combat. For example, it is worth putting it in the back and shooting if you expect your opponent to threaten your flank or rear with a big flying monster (meanwhile trying to snipe it). Or you position the hellcannon in a counter-charge position against your opponents big monster (treemen, hydra) while waiting for it to approach, you try to snipe it (you usually get 1 or 2 shots at it before combat)... Anyway that was my two cents, I hope you get the idea.
    Last edited by dapredator66; June 6th, 2010 at 05:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helcannon is very useful, however its application should depend on what army you are playing against, armies which arent very high ld and not ItP you should be shooting it at them to cause panic and disrupt their lines (i.e. O&G) against other ItP armies its better as a tar pit give its unbreakable and high toughness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely agree with above. I have made the mistake of just letting it sit and shoot a few times. It's great to get out into combat. Of course, I did love seeing the look on my opponents face when my misfire forced all three of his HE mages to miscast.... priceless....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

The number 3 result on the Bound Daemon misfire chart will is in itself a good reason to incluse the Hellcannon. Especially now when miscasts are very lethal in 8th ed.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

I have a hellcannon in my 2250 list and its usually set up as a flank protector. In the new edition it charges 6+2D6 inches by the way and causes terror.

JvK
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Plus it gets an extra D6 attacks from STOMP!. Oh and now Guess range has gone the cannon is better........I new I got my hell cannon out the bitz box for a reason!!

As for use, I'm slamming him down the middle. He's an awesome unit for smashing apart things and getting in the way. The actual gun is just something as a bonus for me!.

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

The Hellcannon fires as a stone thrower not a cannon, despite the name.

JvK
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

+ Reply to Thread