8th...finally a reason to actually have chaos warriors! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

8th...finally a reason to actually have chaos warriors!

Hey all.

Well with 8th edition around the corner and the changes to the movement/combat phase, I finally see a reason to add some chaos warriors to my 88-strong marauder band.

I've previously only used a unit of 10 chosen as the only "armoured" foot troops to great affect, but of course they were also backed up by a warshrine. I ran them "armed to da teef" with extra hand weapons, halberds, and shields.

I'm going to get 36 warriors and split them up into units of 18, but I keep going back and forth about how to equip them. Giving them halberds is a definite; initiative 5 at Str 5 can do a lot of damage. However, against gobbos or other low T massively ranked units, extra hand weapons might fit the bill. Still again, an 18 point investment into giving the unit shields, even if they are only useable against magic and shooting, will pay for itself the first time it saves just 1 trooper.

So my dilemma is this...I don't want 18 point chaos warriors. I am definitely equipping them with halberds, so I have to choose between either extra hand weapons or shields as the second option. Any thoughts, feedback, or arguments for giving the unit all 3? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I always give my warriors shields. the bonus against shooting will easily make back the points; is the rumour about 2 rank shooting true? if so then shields will be even MORE important.

As for hand weapons or halberds, I assume you are making an all comers type of list. I perfer the extra attack over the Strength.
    Dice are fickle and they don't care how strong you are they will still role 1s.

So my perfered setup is Shields, additonal hand weapon, and khorne or nurgle.

For you I would recommend Shields and Halberds; Khorne would make up for losing the extra attack ( WS5 S5 A3 yes please)
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Well, 2 Hand weapons or Halberds is the best way to go. They both have their good points and their bad against certain infantry. I think as the best all rounder combo is halberd and shield as I like to be str5 to wound things on 5's and to ignore 5+Saves.
    Having said that though a unit with 2 hand weapons and Khorne is a beast and can kick out a horrendous amount of attacks for such a small unit. So much so they can take down Knights with weight of attacks and just blend their way through Orcs and Goblins.

Note: be warned about gobblins though. Nets can be a real bugger at making your warriors str3 and can seriously screw your kill ratio.

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their has always been a reason to have chaos warriors, they are great models!! they pretty good in the last edition actually, they could take a charge from most things its just this edition they can kill most things that actually try and charge them, To be honest i think any combo is going to be good on them. MoT with HW+Shield is still going to be good, 3+ save and a 5+ wardsve in combat, Khorne warriors with additional hand weapons, 4 WS5, S4, I5 attacks is always good, any chaos warrior that holds a halberd is going to be nasty.
    Last edited by HappyJim; June 26th, 2010 at 09:02.

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

Agreed with Happy Jim, I run a Tzeentch force, so staying alive is my specialty. I'm keeping my shields. Khorne's about pumping out the shots and so you go with the hand weapons as they accentuate the frenzy bonuses. Halberds, extra S = extra kills. Halberds are more versatile, as you can always be of a higher strength. Against T3, going from a 3+ to a 2+ is always good. And wounding heavy cavalry and ogres(and other dangerous, T4 creatures) on a 3+ is always good coming from a core with WS5, I5.
    Chaos Warriors are awesome. Fact. Kit them out for the right situation, they've even better. We can never know exactly what we're up against, so go with how your style of playing works. I play friendlies, so winning hasn't got quite the same desperation, relax tourney players. I just go with what I work best with. Simple.
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Warriors with Mark of Tzeentch aren't going anywhere, ever. I played a game the other day, my unit of 18 warriors with shields and MoT was charged by Skulltaker, in a unit of 6 Bloodcrusher cavalry with a Herald of Khorne. They held him up for 4 turns! 4!
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, its amazing the difference a 3+ save and 5+ wardsave combined with stubborn make

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Steadfast? I forgot about Steadfast! Aww, I would've stuck around for 6 turns!
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

The beauty of tzeentch, just have to make sure that you have hounds to protect your flanks. Marauders work too, more expensive but can fight reasonably well for themselves, but I favour the hounds for their extended charging distance (well, averages are higher for them anyway).
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal_God View Post
    The beauty of tzeentch, just have to make sure that you have hounds to protect your flanks. Marauders work too, more expensive but can fight reasonably well for themselves, but I favour the hounds for their extended charging distance (well, averages are higher for them anyway).
    how many dogs in a unit do you use to protect flanks? I usually use groups of 5 for screening but they tend to get wiped out in a single turn of combat (even goblins)

I started painting some Tzeentch chaos warriors but stopped because I never used the Mark. With 8th Edition I may finallly finish those guys!
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast