Flying Circus / Mounted list still viable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flying Circus / Mounted list still viable?

I have 4 Tzeench Sorcs mounted on discs with a very heavy mounted army

20 Marauder Horseman
    15 Knights

Does this list still work pretty well with the changes to flying models?

What are some good magic combos to use on Discs now? It used to be flickering fire spam

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by exocorp View Post
    What are some good magic combos to use on Discs now? It used to be flickering fire spam
    For spells that are generated, no two wizards may have the same spell. Page 490.

Nobody gets to spam anything anymore. Unless your wizards automatically know certain/all spells through rules/gear, which WoC don't get.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

You're allowed to have flickering fire more than once since it says you can substitute 1 die roll for it.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Psichotyk- you can always have multiples of the signature spell, or any spell which you are allowed to get by swapping.

I've been trying to work with the new cavalry rules, and I have to admit that we've been hit pretty hard. The list can function, but it's not going to be as incredible as it once was.
    To put things into perspective, charging in 8th edition is like charging a Stubborn, ASF regiment in 7th edition. With the new casualty removal rules giving everyone a chance to strike back, you're knights can't just swing in, butcher the front rank, and come off without a scratch. And any regiment that has more ranks than you at the end of combat (read: all of them) are going to be "steadfast", and count as Stubborn when they take their break check.
    This isn't too bad for the knights, because they've got plenty of armor and with I5, S5 weapons and S4 mounts, they're the best cavalry in the game for prolonged battles. But that doesn't mean that you want to toss them in alone. This is especially true for those 20 Marauder Horsemen- they're going to hit and be decimated by return attacks, and their strength drops after the first round.

In regards to magic- the Winds are back. We'll never have more than 12 dice, and we can have as little as 2. It makes magic a little hard to rely on. I've been having more success with a lower number of casters who throw 5-6 dice at a single spell, and then switch over to magic defense.

The other problem with cavalry lists is our intrinsically low model count. Shooting is utterly devastating in the new edition- everyone fires in 2 ranks, bows fire in more, warmachines no longer guess, and there are no more "partials" for templates. Warrior infantry has a tough time crossing the field, but our cavalry has it even harder.

Personally, I would keep your Discs but be prepared to use them as Exalteds instead. I'd pick up one of the new Daemon Prince models, because if you want to go with magic, I would up him to level 4 and use his flying to fit the theme and hunt down warmachines/small units. Your knights, I'd make either a deathstar of 11 with a BSB, or use two regiments of 5. The M.Horsemen are cool, they can make a free move before the first turn (but then cannot charge) and could be used as warmachine hunters, but I've found that they're a bit pricey for the role, and if you want them to be useful afterwards, you need about 10-15 of them in a single regiment.

I'm sorry. I feel your pain, as my army was entirely mounted and I finished painting it right as the 8th ed. was a sure thing. Then the rumors, then the actual book, and now I'm stuck buying more infantry and painting them all up from gray plastic again. My only consolation is that it's well worth the effort. Don't start a whole new army, as Warriors are actually hard as nails and angry as hell if you field them on foot. The cavalry can stay, but they can't fight unsupported anymore.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I think an all cav list could work, the problem for me is that you need to fill up 25% of your army with m.horsemen and to me that's way too many points spent on them. I have problems finding uses for my 3rd unit, unless I start to bring units of 15-20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the unkillable Level 4 DP idea. The new models look great.

I will probably drop my Marauder Horseman for a DP and add some Warriors to my list...

I also have a Cannon and Shaggoth to add in extra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the unkillable Level 4 DP idea. The new models look great.

I will probably drop my Marauder Horseman for a DP and add some Warriors to my list...

I also have a Cannon and Shaggoth to add in extra

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The Shaggy is pretty good, just beware of missiles and magic, as he has next to no armor. Cannons rock though. I haven't done it yet in 8th, but I've seen my cannon more than hold his own against a regiment, more than once.
    Your list isn't bad if you add in some warriors or even blocks of marauders.
    And although I love my DP, he's not quite unkillable. His ward isn't awesome unless you go with Tzeentch, and even then its only a ward. Mantle of Chaos is pretty good at shutting down light shooting, but its not too great against cannons.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

279 (x7)

Who has cannons. Dwarfs and empire? I've never lost a DP. I've won numerous games because he's the only model left alive, where I killed 2k worth of stuff and had 1700 of my stuff killed.

Just going to throw magic out as a possible threat to him. If you die to magic, then it was his day to die, because a 2+ ward is hard to get through and his characteristic stats are all very high, so its hard for him to fail one.

This leave:
    Beastmen - Cygor
    Bretts - Treb
    Demons - Not much really, flamers could if you're dumb enough to fly by them.
    Dark Elf - massed bolts, but not that hard to negate.
    Dwarfs - cannons and bolts, organ gun too, but its limited range
    Empire - cannons
    HE - massed bolts, but again you can work around that
    lizardmen - dropped rocks? I usually have my way on the battlefield vs these guys.
    Ogres - again, they got nothing to stop you
    O&G - fanatics and their crappy artillery. Easily avoided
    Skaven - Their artillery, but its so random its hard to call it a real threat. Definitely stay away from a doomwheel, it'd kill you in 1 shooting phase.
    TK - catapult? They'll need a hit result to have a chance at wounding you.
    VC - banshee and stay away from magical charges, both very easily avoided.
    WoC - Hell Cannon.
    WElfs - lots and lots of str3 shots, can they roll 6s? It takes awhile for them to take this guy down and usually they don't try because they'll have chaos knights up their butt by then.

So there you go. Using cannons as a scare tactic into not taking a DP is wrong, because only 2 armies have access to them now. Other artillery didn't get better. Str3 stone throwers aren't a threat, bolt throwers will need like 3-4 turns to take him down and that's only barely favorable odds.

With some a smart movement phase, you can avoid most threats and even if you have to take a risk, there's very very very little in the game that can kill you in 2 straight turns of shooting.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

I wasn't telling him not to take a DP. They're awesome, hell, I was telling him to take one in my first reply. But when he said Unkillable, I had to toss it out there that the things are killable. There's a lot of stuff that will put us in the dirt aside from shooting and magic. Magic, yeah, we can rule that out with Fury, and most small shooting will dissipate with Mantle (takes 80 bow HITS to kill a MoT DP, statistically), but that leaves close quarters fighting. The poor guy does die from time to time, he's just guaranteed to put up a fight. I was more trying to dissuade him from sending the guy in alone against big beefy regiments, when he's only meant to flank, rearcharge, or hunt down small units.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast