Chaos castle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaos castle

Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

Chaos castle

i thought it would be a good idea to make a chaos castle. but castles dont really fit into the chaos warrior fluff considering they are mostly nomadic. An exception to this is the people of southern Norsca who live in scattered settlements and coastal villages. would it be fair to assume that among these settlements there are castles? also would it be likely that other tribes may have sacked a castle then occupied it themselves? im really just looking for what people think would be the most likely kind of stronghold for warriors of chaos, whether it be a wooden fort, a rebuilt ruin of an old castle, a castle they have made themselves or whatever. please give your thoughts and ideas

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

Also, is there any mention of a castle/fortress/stronghold or such in any of the fluff people have read?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right in the fact that Chaos does not really "do" Castles. Howmever there is a mention of, if I remember rightly two Fortresses within the chaos Wastes. That information is within the first few pages of the Warriors of Chaos book amongst the Lore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe take a look at some pictures from the Chaos City in the Warhammer online game. That realy fits the design nice of what a real chaos stronghold would look like, if it was build as one - and not just a random castle sacked...
    It looks very LOTR Mordor like in general, so if you could build something in that style it would look quite awsome i think.
    Last edited by DasHawk; July 21st, 2010 at 12:09.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

553 (x8)

i think i'll stray from the castle idea and make either a blood tower or a wizards tower. after doing some reading i concluded that chaos wouldn't use castles, its too cowardly, the would rather run out of the castle and die fighting for favour of the gods on an open battlefield. and what use is a castle when they dont even have bows. chaos sorcerers however would use towers as a place to store scrolls and artefacts. in my mind it seems like a much more suitable for a chaos structure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

I can easily see a great Chaos Lord returning from the pillage in the empire with thousands of slaves in tow and having seen the mighty cities decides to build himself a stronghold to show off his conquest.

If i were to build a chaos stronghold/castle, I would turn it into a giant shrine to the dark gods, or a single god.
    Lot's of warriors and marauder would make pilgrimages to this shrine to make sacrifices and trade and challenge eachother.

So there would be a central shrine for devotion and sacrifice and ritual, a throne room, barracks for the lords own warriors, stables, a bestiary, gladiator pits and a market where marauders, warriors and chaos dwarves trade.

Marauders are forces do be nomadic because the chaos wastes are so barren and it's too difficult for ordinary marauders to build settlements that can stand before the constant assault from roving warbands and monsters.

A mighty Chaos Lord command enough warriors and slaves so he can build a fortress strong enough, and fast enough. He might also have wizards to help him with construction. a lord might also have witnessed achtitecture to inspire him in distant lands.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

553 (x8)

Chaos culture is based around war and proving yourself in battle, they would not hide within their stronghold but would march out and meet the enemy, or draw the enemy into the stronghold and use its choke-points. i really cant see chaos fighting from a castle.

i think the warriors from southern norsca who live in settlements would be very similar to vikings considering the coast is covered in fjords and they build longboats and also im pretty sure they are in fact based on vikings. the settlements probly just have a palisade wall around them like viking towns did and a big hall

Were they to have a temple i wouldnt imagine it to be in the centre of a city, a temple of chaos would be too unstable and too terrifying to be something you would want to have in the middle of a settlement. I would imagine it high up in the mountains with a settlement in a lower valley. people from the settlement would venture up to the temple for worship and what not.

any epic scale constructions would most likely be something for the gods and not a castle for themselves.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

553 (x8)

but i really do like mr waynes concept. anyone read fluff to back anything like it? i do want to make a chaos stronghold but im having trouble convincing myself it is a credible idea

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

you say you don't think they'd hide in a castle - which is probably true - but why does it have to be a place to hide in? Perhaps you could go for more of a temple or cathedral to the dark gods? I don't know whether you're a fluff monkey (i'm sure thats not a term but heyho) but in the gotrek and felix books, think its daemonslayer, they travel to the chaos wastes in a massive dwarf airship and raid a temple that is absolutely ginourmous, and kill a bloodthirster in the crypt.

So 'officially' there are two holds in the chaos wastes (WoC army book) and then evidently there are temples too. They don't have any barriers to entry, and warriors are free to fight over control of the temple - so they wouldn't be hiding form the enemy - infact inviting them in for a good slaughter!
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

That would be so cool!
    Make a giant castle with a giant shrine in the middle of the courtyard. The courtyard would be huge, like a giant battlefield. The castle have 4 gates, each wide enough for a horde unit to enter.

the castle could have rooms which only single characters can entrer.

Special Rules:
    A unit that win a combat get ro roll on the Eyes of the Gods table.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast