Marauder horde battle reports - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Marauder horde battle reports

So now I've played my first two games with my marauder horde army, against my 2 primary opponents Bretonia and Orcs and goblins.

My list consisted of
    Sorcerer Lord
    Exalted Hero
    2 Large blocks of marauders (1 with shield and hand weapons and light armor, the other just great weapons)
    2 blocks of hounds
    1 block of horsemen
    (the total was about 1000 points and everything has full command)

Vs Goblins
    My opponent ran an all goblin army except for an Ork hero and one small block of orcs. 1 goblin level 4 caster and 1 level 1 caster. As we were both horde armies we pretty much lined up to smash into each other. And started advancing from turn one. In the magic phases he was out rolling me on power dice constantly and the only way I could get a spell of way attributing way more dice than necessary in the hopes of unstoppable force and risking the miscast table! When I reached 8inch charge range a wall of fanatics popped up. Apparently he paid for 3 for each block of goblins!! So I decided to wait a turn to see if they would: A, move into me or B, move back into him. Amazingly he rolled 9 on target rolls with a scatter dice. So I did what I had to after getting repeatedly stomped by gork or mork for 4 turns, I charged through and lost over half my marauders. I passed my leadership and made it to combat. I must have impressed the dice gods with such a ballsy/suicidal move as I rolled exceptionally in the combat phases and beat out the goblins. They broke and fled. With the center of his army fleeing and his army all panicked and fled.
    Vs Brettonia
    My opponent fielded 2 lance formations each with paladin bare bones and a damsel, and 1 block of archers. This time as I had a larger number of units I was able to set up in a way where I could separate the two lances via terrain and absorb each with a block of marauders and flank with horses or hounds. In addition the winds of magic were in my favor as I was constantly rolling more power dice than my opponent. Casting fireball and flaming skull took a heavy toll on his knights as he crossed the field. When he reached me he was at half strength. But was rolling well enough to tie in combat. After the second round of combat the wounds started to pile up and the knights were running out of bodies. Since we were playing the blood and glory scenario when his general and a block of knights were slain. His army fled.

So A solid victory, the other a near defeat, Lessons learned
    1. If possible sacrifice a unit to draw out all the fanatics at once before your line reaches his to make it more likely for them to kill their brethren.

2. Whenever possible use magic and shooting to neutralize a whole unit before targeting another.

Any suggested tactics/list changes (no I will not add any chaos warriors, but id be tempted to convert some Marauder looking chosen with say halberds and shields). Also, how do you minimize the amount of damage your taking from magic when your getting out rolled on power dice. Do you save up your dice for the spells you really need to stop or do you roll the same amount and let the dice gods decide?

Last edited by Deek; July 26th, 2010 at 00:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Very good writing there. rep given.

Have you tried posting here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...es-battle.html (WoC Experiences in Battle)
    It's a thread where we collect all experiences we get from playing with WoC. It's nice to have one thread where we can learn how to best use our beloved army, instead of spreading all the wisdom between numerous thread that will eventually be very hard to find.

Just copy and paste, and in the meantime try reading up on all the tactics and advice that have been accumulated.
    It has become a very good thread.

Some questions:
    1. What magic lores does the sorcerers use? You know you must specify it one the army rooster instead of choosing the lore dependent on the opponent you're facing.
    2. How big were the blocks of marauders and horsemen?
    3 How did you kit the characters?

As for advice, I would put MoK on the dudes with great weapon and MoT on those with hand weapon and shield. but dump the light armour and the unit champions. Champion wont do any good and the same with light armour. A 5+ Ward saves in combat on 5 pts marauders on the other hand - that's great! They'll drop like flies on the move to missile weapons, so bring lots of them.

We have Fury of the blood God and Collar of Khorne to give MR. It's good to minimize damage so you can dispell those spells that doesnt do real damage (like those that eat your whole unit)
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; July 26th, 2010 at 00:42.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, against gobbos, even if you think he has no fanatics, is to send your hounds at him as quickly as possible and get as many fanatics out before you even get close. Some smart goblin players then just choose to launch their fanatics backwards as to not block or hurt himself. Might take you 1 more turn to get across the table, but you'll have taken less casualties.

I tried out a 45 khorne marauder with flails horde the other day. It lost both rounds of combat it was in and fled after the 2nd round, but it put out a hurting. Its hard to get all 10 in combat at once, but that's 40 Int4 str 5 attacks. That'll scare anyone.
    Last edited by sirkently; August 1st, 2010 at 00:02.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Ahh yes specifics about the lists.

Each block of marauders was just shy of thirty men.
    There were 7 horsemen
    2 Blocks of 10 hounds
    The hero with great weapon
    And the Sorcerer lord level 3 Fire lore.

As for the fanatics, do you think it is possible to perhaps take a unit of 5 horsemen and have them march up a flank ahead of the army then march acrosse the front of his goblin line 8 inches away. Triggering all of the fanatics to be released. Or would the hounds do the job better just going straight forward faster than the marauders.

My other concern is lance formation. The small frontage of the formation makes it much tougher to get the same amount of kills that they cause on the charge. But a large unit of marauders with great weapons outlasts his knight formation. I suppose its jsut a leadership game and with the ability to re roll failed tests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of units of 5 hounds. The tactical options available to you with 4 units of 5 hounds far outweighs what 2 units of 10 can do. With 4 units of 5 you can not only pull out all of their fanatics on turn 1, but if they do launch them forward you can most likely get another unit of hounds to stand on them, kill them and cause panic checks all along their battle line. On top of that, you get to place 4 suicidal units before having to commit your forces. I bet at least 25% of the game is won in deployment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently running a horde of 40 marauders with hand weapon, light armour, shield. And since its such a large target it tends to be the focus of ALOT of shooting so I like to give them Nurgle. Against wood elves they soaked up a whole round of shooting and only took 2 casualties.

Against Dwarves I take them with Wulfrik since the dwarf gunline for the most part can't turn around and shoot in the same turn. For some reason i still gave them the mark of Nurgle. In hindsight Khorne would have been much better as they weren't going to have alot of shooting coming their way. Except warmachines which generally don't roll to hit anyway so Nurgle would have been no help against them. I came up behind his gunline with 40 marauders and was able to charge the whole lot (1 unit crossbows, 1 unit hand guns, 1 cannon) because I had such a wide frontage. I wiped the whole lot out in one turn and then overran into the rest of his army. Unfortunately the rest of my army had underperformed so the game ended up a draw.... but if it hadn't have been for my marauders I would have lost.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

My 3k Marauder list is
    Lord, 16 chosen, BSB
    2x 29 Marauder (Tz&Shields) units with an Exalted in each.
    2x 10 Horsemen, spears, shields, armour.
    7x 5 Dogs
    2x 'Marauder' Chariots
    Giant (modelled as a big Marauder)
    Sorcerer. (modelled as a Marauder Shaman)

I used my Marauders Vs Undead and they did alright. Not amazingly but they did alright. I crushed the undead player in 4 turns but it was tough going. Fear is still a big problem for them. Especially Horsemen who are away from the Generals LD. Slaanesh is a good mark for these boys and I'd advise getting it for them.
    Still, those Horsemen were awesome, they still had units of 10 Dire Wolves and then managed to get behind the Undead and charge the lord and kill him. If my units didn;t have Slaanesh I'd have paniced de to magic or been WS1 on more than one occassion.

Marauders with shields died, really died. One unit went up against 50 Skeletons and, even though the combat lasted the game, they were reduced to less than 15 for no real gain. If I didn't have the banner of the gods they'd have fled long ago. The other Unit of Marauders got chomped by 20 skellies (with wight king) and 4 blood knights. They did last forever though which, i guess, is what they're for.

Hounds. Get them. Get lots of them. Units of 5 are best. They can draw out Fantatics, pick on wizards and cannon crew, run down fleeing units, give cover to your expensive troops and get in the way. I like moving them infront of expensive killy enemy units. When they charge I flee and I just keep doing that all game.

Here's my Marauders if anyone cares to look http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...pic-heavy.html
    Last edited by Lord Borak; July 29th, 2010 at 21:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, i use hounds to screen my guys and pull out fanatics, but i never actually thought to make them flee when they get charged..... does that make me dumb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Wow that army looks beautiful.

Im in the process of converting a chariot. What are your guys thoughts one them in general. And how does the giant perform.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Cheers Deek! Single Chariots are unreliable as you're basically counting on a single dice roll, which as we all know can quite easily go south. Chariots are best used in pairs or in support of another unit. I use my Chariots in a pair and they act just like a chaos Knight unit would. The two chariots kick out the same attacks as 4 Chaos Knights and you should get around 9 Impact hits on the turn you charge. That's quite alot of str5 attacks coming the enemes way. I would use them against expensive enemy units like Sword Masters or Chaos Warriors as the Impact hits will be very worth while.

Against hordes I pair them with a Marauder regiment. The Regiment provides the static combat res and makes it less likely that the enemy will be steadfast. The Chariot will provide the kills and win you the combat.

Giants, now there was always a bit of rivalry between Giants and Shaggoths in 7th. Now. in 8th, I think the Giant wins out. The great thing about the Shaggoth was his movement and his ability as a Flanker. Now you need ranks to ignore ranks he's become less useful. However now he has stomp he's less likley to need another ranked up unit to support him. Giants still perform the job they've always provided. They're a big Tarpit. LD10 and stubborn is awesome. Giants are cheaper too. Plus the giant can stuff a Damsel down his trousers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast