To Command or not to Command - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

To Command or not to Command

Right, here's the topic of the week:

Do you use full command, part of the command or no command, what parts of it do you use, what do you base your decisions on and what units do you use it on/doesnt use it on?

"The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my basic rules...

1) everyone gets a musician
    2) if they need a magic banner, I'll give them a banner
    3) if I ever plan on putting a character in the unit, I will take a champion to have options available for challenges
    4) if I take a champion, I always take a banner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take Banner and Musician always and the champ on Marauders (always) and Warriors (when I have points leftover). I never take one on Knights (20 points is a lot for an attack).
    Last edited by MascisMan; July 27th, 2010 at 03:48.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

I always adress the needs of the unit and think about what i'm using it for first.

If i had a massive unit of marauders, then taking a champion to get an extra attack by sacrificing a back ranker is fine, as is adding the standard as i'm using them for combat res. Conversely, in a unit of warriors I don't have many, so losing one from a rear rank to give a single extra attack isn't a good idea when i already have 2 each, and they will kill enough to not need a standard - and the same applies to knights. Chosen are slightly different in that sometimes i'll take a champion just to have access to the book to give me a lv.1 shadow caster. i'll do this if i don't run more than one magic casting hero/lord.

and of course - everyone gets a musician.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Yeah, everyone gets a musician, agreed.

Champs... I use for character protection or distraction, as needed, otherwise I won't buy them. Except Chosen, there are plenty of different 25pt items you can put to good use.

Banners... VERY light on banners, even with the VP nerf they're still annoying to lose. Only my primary blocks get these, and they're usually magical.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thak a musican and standard champs if im going to be placing an exalted.

In my diversion units (10 units of maurders naked) i take nothing because these guys are just meant to hold up my opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the combat reform, yes, every1 gets a musician, bef4 that, well in 7th i lost combat on my flank by 1, thanks to a musician, turns out i was outnumbered, by a fear causing unit and needed snakes, my whole battle line fell apart from losing in a tied combat becuz i didnt take a musician arghhh, the next day, i still didnt take it cuz its generally not worth it, but now, yes! reform is awesome!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden View Post
    with the combat reform, yes, every1 gets a musician, bef4 that, well in 7th i lost combat on my flank by 1, thanks to a musician, turns out i was outnumbered, by a fear causing unit and needed snakes, my whole battle line fell apart from losing in a tied combat becuz i didnt take a musician arghhh, the next day, i still didnt take it cuz its generally not worth it, but now, yes! reform is awesome!!
    We do expect reasonably proper English here - please avoid text speak such as "every1" and "bef4".

Thank you for your co-operation.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrockSamson View Post
    Yeah, everyone gets a musician, agreed.

Champs... I use for character protection or distraction, as needed, otherwise I won't buy them. Except Chosen, there are plenty of different 25pt items you can put to good use.
    excatly, your not buying a champion for +1 attack you are buying him so he can issue challenges, this can be very handy if a dragon attacks your unit of warriors, they can do all the attacks they want they are still only killing one model and your still going to be stubborn. I would certanily put a unit champion in my chaos knights if it has a character so the unit champion gets stuck on challenges rather than my character (who will otherwise only be fighting unit champions),

Banners... VERY light on banners, even with the VP nerf they're still annoying to lose. Only my primary blocks get these, and they're usually magical.
    I would love playing you when we roll up blood and glory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJim View Post
    I would love playing you when we roll up blood and glory
    That's how I won my first game of 8ed... against a very shooty / magic DE army at 2k with no banners in any of their units. Rolled for game type..... and won the game. We rolled again immediately, but I still give him trouble about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast