2,500 Points of WOC: Cthulu Calls! (New to 8th edition. Please advise!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2,500 Points of WOC: Cthulu Calls! (New to 8th edition. Please advise!)

I've not yet played a game of 8th edition and could really appreciate some feed back on this list. I thank you in advance for your time and consideration. This list is intended to for use at my FLGS and will be played casually. That being said, I am very interested in your thoughts on how the elements work together and what kind of things I may have failed to consider.

Warriors of Chaos 2500 pts

Lord
    270+ Sorcerer Lvl 4 (No clue how to equip. I am considering the lores of shadow, death, and slaanesh. Blood of Tzeentch looks cool.)
    Hero
    260 BSB, Banner of the Gods Chaos Glory (All peeps within 6 inches to become stubborn, and causes terror)
    I am thinking of putting an exalted in a chariot w/ the book of shadows here. I have also considered infernal puppet and blasphemous amulet, this should hurt on a chariot base.

Core
    366 The Blender: Chaos Warriors (1 MOK, Halberds, Shields, Musician, Standard?
    410 The Chopping Block: Chaos Warriors (20) MOT, Shields, Music, Blasted Standard
    242 Marauders (40) GW, MOK, Music, Standard
    72 War hounds (12) flees. This unit is to be used as a meat shield and perhaps to disrupt enemy ranks. At such a low cost, if they shoot at it I'll be happy they aren't shooting at something I care about.

Special
    308 Dragon Ogres (4) Great Weapons

Rare
    205 Hell Cannon

I am currently wondering about a few things in relation to WOC.

1. ) What lores are worth while int his kind of list? I am currently thinking about Shadow, Heavens, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch but am open minded.
    2.) What's up with the M.0. Slaanesh? People are continuing to trash it, but it doesn't it continue to grant immunity from the panic checks caused by magic, shooting, other units breaking? I hear people say it's not worthwhile and I have to imagine I there is something I don't understand here.
    3.)What do you all think about taking standards? When is it helpful, and when is it a waste of points?
    4.) Would I be a jerk to run 2 Hell Cannons at 2,500 points?
    5.) Is there any point to Marauder Horsemen in 8th edition? I have bought 2 boxes and have already begun a conversion to make them centaur during 7th edition. Please don't tell me I need to just use the bits for my space wolves...

Thanks for taking a look. I appreciate your insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Welcome to the site and welcome to 8th ED. My comments are in blue

Quote Originally Posted by Glimpse The Void View Post
    Lord
    270+ Sorcerer Lvl 4 (No clue how to equip. I am considering the lores of shadow, death, and slaanesh. Blood of Tzeentch looks cool.)
    Shadow is possibly the best Lore in my opinion. The amount of Buffs and Hexes are really really useful to you in the game. Give it a go. Blood of Tzeentch is cool, so is Conjoined Hemonculous. so is infernal puppet.

Hero
    260 BSB, Banner of the Gods Chaos Glory (All peeps within 6 inches to become stubborn, and causes terror)
    i've got the same. This banner has become less useful now with the whole Steadfast rules but it's still brilliant when you do find yourself outnumbered and out fought. Your list though I'm not sure you need it. Those big Warrior Blocks shouldn't be loosing combat.

I am thinking of putting an exalted in a chariot w/ the book of shadows here. I have also considered infernal puppet and blasphemous amulet, this should hurt on a chariot base.
    Blashemous amulet isn't amazing. Spend the points on other cool things

The rest looks good to me

I am currently wondering about a few things in relation to WOC.

1. ) What lores are worth while int his kind of list? I am currently thinking about Shadow, Heavens, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch but am open minded.
    Shadow is definately the flavour of the month. However I'd give all of them a go and see which one you like best. All the Lores have some nasty spells in there.
    2.) What's up with the M.0. Slaanesh? People are continuing to trash it, but it doesn't it continue to grant immunity from the panic checks caused by magic, shooting, other units breaking? I hear people say it's not worthwhile and I have to imagine I there is something I don't understand here.
    Remember we get to re-roll panic tests from "Will of the Gods". Added with the fact Fear and Terror are no longer as scary Slaanesh has lost some of it's awesome. It is still a good Mark but the others got better while this got a little worse.
    3.)What do you all think about taking standards? When is it helpful, and when is it a waste of points?
    Take them. There's missions where the number of standards win games.
    4.) Would I be a jerk to run 2 Hell Cannons at 2,500 points?
    You're a Chaos Player. Ignore these petty things called Morals
    5.) Is there any point to Marauder Horsemen in 8th edition? I have bought 2 boxes and have already begun a conversion to make them centaur during 7th edition. Please don't tell me I need to just use the bits for my space wolves...
    They......aren't as good as they were. Nor are they brilliant now. TI still take them because they're cool and the do have their uses. They are no longer the "magic missile" they once were. You need to be cunning and actually use them like fast cavalry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Borak that Shadow is very useful, but I still like Tzeentch alot.
    Blood of Tzeentch is sweet and if I were you I'd look for some room for Infernal Puppet.

BSB is alright, however I'd drop the banner for either a cheaper one, or fit him with some magic items instead so he does not die easily.

Warriors are awesome, 2 solid blocks you've got there.
    Marauders with GW and MoK likewise. Good to see you've got lot's of them. They will fall easily to shooting, but if left alone they will massacre about anything they run into.
    Personally I would split your Warhounds into 2 groups of 6 to give you more viable screens.
    I have never been a fan of Dragon Ogres, but I havn't tested them in 8th, so I cannot say what they're like now. I'd rather have some Knights or regular Ogres.
    Hell Cannon is pure win. 2 in 2500 is fine in my FLGS (I see Empire and Dwarves with ALOT of artellery).

Borak said it all when looking at your questions.
    Only thing I feel is worth mentioning is Marauder Horsemen with Throwing Axes.
    That's very effective annoyers and War Machine hunters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I think you have been led down the right path with Borak's suggestions.

I am a HUGE fan of the Blasted Standard. I play against Empire/DE/HE/and Skaven so getting a ward save vs shooting is ideal. Perhaps swap that out with the Banner of the Gods. I used that in 7th edition but believe it has been nerfed a bit in 8th.

I have played with 6 Dragon Ogres in one game and 10 MoK knights in the otherBoth times I charged units of 30 or more)

The Ogres have a low Initiative so I gave them GW. They have a limited armor save, but have 4 wounds.
    They took a lot of damage but also dished out a lot, and since they can fight in 2 ranks AND have stomp I ended up winning Combat Res by A LOT.

The MoK Knights dive into combat and their high initiative means they usually strike first. They have insane armor and decent strength.
    The knights caused 16 wounds between all their attacks, and horses. I lost 1 knight on the attacks back and won Combat Res by A LOT.

Hope this helps.... Let me know how you do with your build.
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Now that you can make a unit stubborn for 35 points out of the new magic item list in the BRB, that banner has become a lot less useful. And it wasn't worth its price in the first place, especially considering you have to run it on a BSB without magic items to protect him. Not great in an army that has to challenge.

As for your Sorc Lord, I'd run him Shadow (great spells and the Lore's special ability can get him out of a bind, otherwise you'll find your 370pt chaos warrior challenging someone's character killer), consider giving him one of the new 4+ ward items, and as for arcane blood of tz or power familiar rocks. Running a naked level 1 sorc with a feedback scroll and the third eye is one of my favorite builds too.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

+ Reply to Thread