Vs dwarfs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vs dwarfs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Vs dwarfs?

So, how does one handle the bearded ones this edition? Got a 2250pts game coming up and not really sure how to approach it these days. I'm guessing he'll be fielding an anvil and an anti-magic banner, so doubt magic will be of much use. I was thinking some warriors/chosen and knights, backed up by a lord, a bsb and maybe another hero, perhaps a warshine and a cannon or 2, depending on points. Any thoughts/ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Against Dwarves I don't even bother with Magic. I put those points towards more troops and things to protect me from shooting. The Blasted standard is a must. I also take quite a few units of hounds to run infront of my units to give them a turns respite from Dwarven Handgunners. They wont protect you from Cannons and Organ guns but that's what the Blasted standard is for.

Also lovely little items like the Iron Curse Icon, add this with Tzeentch and you've got a lovely 5+ Ward Vs Warmachines. Combine this with a Screen of hounds and you should weather the worst of their shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

I would run some horsemen.
    Mostly horsemen are crap. But they are fast and need to be taken care of, otherwise they tie up warmachines. So they will save some warriors, and might even take down a warmachine or two if they are lucky. Just run them as suicidal cruise missiles using mark of khorne, flails and no armour.

Dwarves can be tough in combat. Nothing is a match for our dudes, but we need to crush our enemies in combat and do it fast. Therefore we bring multiple warshrines so that our advantages are as great as possible in the combats that matters the most.

Listen to the advice lord Borak give. you need to do something to protect against dwarves missile fire. Blastred Standard on a big unit of knights of tzeentch is great.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; September 5th, 2010 at 16:38.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I played Dwarfs yesterday. Blasted Standard deterred him from shooting at my Knight Train which proceeded to run rampant through his army. Hell Cannon was damaged early from shooting, so I shoved it into combat quickly. It would eventually die, but my opponent had to commit two units to doing so. That meant the knights and warriors had an easier time of it. So even though the HC died, it holding up two units for a couple of turns was worth it.

For me in that game, the strategy was to close the gap quickly and get into combat so that I couldn't be shot. This guy took a combat dwarf army, but even so, the minimal shooting is still deadly.

Magic was tanked as he was averaging 8 dispel dice a turn, plus two scrolls.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

yeah, Dwarf players knowing they'll be playing WoC are going to bring lot's of firepower.

Oh, and bring the Razor Standard. That Armour Piercing rule is good on their awesome armour.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I'm not entirely sold on big units of knights, as they're pretty expensive even if they're hard hitting. I was thinking about a chaos lord with an aether sword and perhaps a chaos rune shield just for giggles, but this does leave him a bit vulnerable, so perhaps a MoT and a talisman of preservation for better protection, an exalted bsb with some kind of kit and an exalted of Tzeentch with disc, flail and golden eye for warmachine hunting. Unit-wise I'm looking at a few blocks of warriors with MoT, perhaps a small khorne unit with Halberds as well for hittyness. Are chosen worth it agains dwarfs? Or are they to slow compared to knights. A hellcannon or 2 just for giggles as well, depending on points which seem to disappear at an alarming rate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..... Wulfrik. Nothing quite says boo to a dwarf player like a group of 30-40 marauders popping up behind his gun line. His main shooty stuff can't touch them cause they can't move and shoot, only his warmachines can pivot and still shoot, but they only have one turn to deal with him before he's on them and having the time of his life.

I also like taking a lvl2 sorcerer with spell familiar and lore of death. Yeah, dwarves have alot of resistance. But with a relitively cheap guy like this i just throw 6 dice at the purple sun, hope for irrisistable force and watch the dwarves scream as they have to take initiative tests.... Best if you can get to his flanks and send it down his lines. Just don't put your sorcerer with your expensive guys... cause in all likelihood he will blow up. Although other death spells are also quite handy for getting rid of characters.... but dwarves have high leadership, toughness so need lucky rolls

+ Reply to Thread