How to build the most effective chaos lord? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to build the most effective chaos lord?

Hi I'm a new WoC player and the reason I chose to play them is because I really like their powerful lord choices. I really like the juggernaut model and want to include it in my army but more importantly I want to win and I dont know if that is a good choice. So I guess what I'm asking is if you take a lord choice to lead your army in say a 2250 point game how would he look as far as items weapons and gifts are concerned?

Thanks,
    Skaboi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run my Killy/combat Lord as such;

Lord
    Juggernaught
    Mark of Khorne
    Runesword
    Armour of Damnation

Think it comes to a 370 total pts.

What this gives you is 7 A's at WS 9 S6.

So as well as enemies trying to hit though the lords high WS, those hits are then forced to re-roll due to Armour of Damnation. This is then followed by a 1+ AS anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good offensive build but can't he be easily taken down by bolt throwers or cannons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

If there was one god build then everyone would use it.
    You have to make the lord fit into your army and find a job for him.
    What will he do? Is he there to boost the combat ability for the unit, is he going to kill characters, will he slaughter infantry?
    Do you want him to be unkillable or just extremely killy or maybe balanced for multitaskig?
    How will you fit him into your army?

I can post a good example using my own Lord.
    This is the list I use him in: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-2500-pts.html (The Heralds of Change [tzeentch powerhouse 2500 pts])

Chaos Lord
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Aether Sword
    Dragon Helm
    Talisman of Protection
    Book of Secrets (Lore of Shadow)
    Third Eye of tzeentch
    Shield
    355 pts

This guy is not a super killer. He's a surpriser, a trickster if you will.
    I run 2 sorcerers in my list and they use Lore of Death and Lore of Nurgle. I don't want to use a level 4 sorcerer but I just love the Lore of Shadow. So what do I do?
    I put the Book of Secrets on my lord of Tzeentch. that way he's almost the equivalent of a level 2 wizard put with all the perks of being a chaos Lord. Why do i love the Lore of Shadows? Because you can switch places with other characters of the same category when you successfully cast a spell. And I got 2 wizards on foot who will be standing nearby in other warrior units.

Chaos characters must challenge. that's the way it is. And even though our wizards can wear armour they are still dead meat when going up against enemy combat characters. So in order for my to save my sorcerers I will just swap places with them and my tricksy-tricksy Lord.

I only have two level 2 sorcerers, but with my Lord and his Third Eye of Tzeentch I've got all the magic provess my opponent could ever throw at me and still come out on top. If I go up against a heavy magic army - great. I can then use any of their spells.
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; September 7th, 2010 at 00:47.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Can a Chaos Lord really have the Third Eye? Isn't that option for Sorcerers only? The Book of Secrets does not make him a sorcerer, it just gives him access to spells and power dice. I like it a lot in any case, will definitely try it out sometime.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the WoC FAQ says:
    Page 115 – Book of Secrets, second paragraph
    Change to “Treat the bearer as a Level 1 Wizard, who may use
    the Lore of Fire, Lore of Shadow or Lore of Death. He may
    not attempt to channel. If he ever casts a spell with irresistible
    force he must roll D6+1 rather than 2D6 on the Miscast
    table.”

If you are treating him as a Level 1 wizard then he can take the Third Eye...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Ah but being a wizard does not make one a Sorcerer by default :p

About a hero choice:
    a BSB, with MoK on a Juggernaut, glaive of putrefication and helm of many eyes.

a question about it: would he get to do Stomp or does he get Look Out Sir in a knights unit?
    Last edited by Digger; September 7th, 2010 at 10:29.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Ah but being a wizard does not make one a Sorcerer by default :p
    Indeed, that's my point. He's still a Chaos Lord. But with or without the Third Eye, he's well off casting the Shadow signature spell each turn. He can cast it reliably with one die, or two if your opponent has dispel dice left. But you don't really want to miscast with this one... I would make sure to have the Infernal Puppet in the same army just in case.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

By that argument a Daemon Prince canít take Ďsorcererí only items as they are a Prince, not a sorcerer. Iím sure this was covered in the FAQ somewhere. Sorcerers are just the term used by chaos armies for wizards. The only thing that separates them from normal wizards is that they can wear armour.
    I can see the argument against but Iím pretty sure he can take rules wise. Iíve got no problem with people using it against me.

As for a Good Lord build, this is what I use and heís always done me proud. Taking down Dwarf Lords, Chaos Lords, Ogre Tyrants, Vamp Lords, Grimgor Iron Hide and even Archaon.
    Lord, Tz, Preservation, Damnation, Great Weapon, foolhardiness. Word of Agony.
    You have to re-roll to hit him and then heís got a 3+ Ward. 5 str 7 attacks isnít going to leave many people unhurt and the Word of Agony can take care of annoying gits like Assassins and wizards with VHSpeculum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I'm really enjoying this build:

Mark of Tzeentch
    Shield
    Chaos Runesword
    Talisman of Preservation
    Favor of the Gods
    Stream of Corruption

He has 6 WS9 S6 attacks and a 3+/3+ save. This makes him both super killy and tough as nails. The breath weapon is a nice extra, in or out of combat.

He also gets shooting protection from a unit of warriors. My favorite is to place him in a unit with the Banner of Rage, so he can utilize the +1A from Frenzy.

This guy is downright sick, and I've yet to lose a challenge with him.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast