troll army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: troll army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

troll army?

i gave a troll army a lot of thought and decided to do one, so i orderd 20 boxes of the river trolls sets, i now have an army, and a list, however i know that i haven't got a strategic thought in my tiny mind, so i figured id run it past some more experienced guys.

heres my 8th edition 3k army list, it's quite straight forward.

vilitch the curseling
    throgg troll king
    chaos lord
    - flail
    - mark of khorne
    - arabyan carpet
    - stream of corruption
    - golden eye of tzeentch
    - necrotic phylactery
    4 war shrines
    16 trolls
    8 trolls
    9 trolls

just so you know, the 16 troll block is a gimic, it's in there as a talking point, i played with it once and it took out three steggadons simultaeniously.

the chaos lord, he's in there for taking war machine crews, which are the bane of my existence.

but take a look and let me know about recommended adjustments.

Last edited by Ryuhei; September 8th, 2010 at 10:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that's a first for me.... better hope your opponent doesn't have flaming attacks. Where are the rest of the trolls gonna go? Aren't there 3 per box? 3 x 20..... I'm sure that this list would be a lot of fun on the table. I could never pull it off beciause I rarely use named characters. I'd be really interested in hearing one of your battle reports from this list. Post it in the WoC Experiences topic if you actually fight a battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I guess because you have throgg your Trolls count as core units, so yeah it should work. Just vomit on every thing you come in contact to and it should be a game to remember...
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would much rather have a Tzeench lord on a Disc then a Khorne lord with a carpet. If you spend the 50 points on a magic weapon he is way more choppy then the Khorne lord and better protection... And would make his Wardsave from the Golden eye a very nice 3+!

But like the Trolls, have been wanting to try out some trolls in action aswell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This army sounds like it would be pretty devastating, but they will have a lot of trouble with certain types of armies.
    1. Shooty Armies: especially ones that cause flaming attacks, will rip apart this army, especially the characters. War machines will also tear apart the soft Trolls and War Shrines as well.
    2. Horde Armies: Scaven, Beastmen, Orcs and Goblins, and Vampire Counts will have too many wounds per unit for your trolls to do enough damage to them and will quickly be destroyed by flanking units.
    3. Magic Heavy Armies: Armies that are particularly magic heavy will easily surpass Vilitch the Curseling's ability to dispel them. Without a single dispel scroll in a 3k army, a magic heavy army (especially one with wizards from the Lore of Fire) will dominate the battle field and you will be powerless to stop it.

Other Problems

Stupidity Obviously, an army full of trolls with suffer from stupidity. One bad leadership test can completely lose the game for you. Even if kept near your characters, the best leadership they can have is 9 and that character will probably be wizard sniping or destroying war machines. The best you will have most of the time is an 8 which is awful dangerous for all of your core choices.

Lack of Range The only ranged attacks this entire army offers is your single mage. While this isn't uncommon for a Warriors of Chaos army, your army is particularly susceptible to flanking and you will have A LOT of trouble countering their efforts.

Weak Characters While all Chaos characters are particularly powerful. This army doesn't really make use of the devastating arsenal the chaos book has. Your Khorne lord will have trouble making it to Warmachines due to his frenzy and will likely just end up getting himself killed. Without a magic weapon, he won't do much damage either. Vilitich could be effective, but only against armies with as few or less magical ability. Even with the Vessel of Chaos power, even a few wizards will be able to overpower him especially if they have dispel scrolls. Throgg is pretty choppy, but can be carved apart by opposing generals who will without a doubt be more powerful than him in a challenge.

Lack of units With only 7 seperate unit bodies, this body will be very difficult to maneuver and counter the large armies of 3000 points. Flanking will be a huge problem.

All in all, this army sounds fun but very gimmicky. Against most armies, this won't stand a chance.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I myself am thinking of thinking of taking maybe 2 units of 6 with throgg. My reason of thought is that if I used them with a Marauder horde the shooty armies have to either split their fire or have to deicde what is the worse target.
    Last edited by Hashulaman; September 14th, 2010 at 08:35.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can only rank them up in three, Hashulaman.
    Warriors of Chaos (Nurgle) - Warhammer Fantasy Battles

"Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once."

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I have to run 3 or more, Throgg would be in a unit of fire and there would be a second unit of 6.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean I think it's illegal. They can only be in one rank and in threes, although I may be wrong.
    Warriors of Chaos (Nurgle) - Warhammer Fantasy Battles

"Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic_Monster View Post
    I mean I think it's illegal. They can only be in one rank and in threes, although I may be wrong.
    You are wrong.

The unit of 16 should be deployed as a horde unit.

@ Bananarchy - Name me all the ranged units with flaming attacks. There's aren't many, and some of them don't even see play. We are talking about wrapfire thrower, Flame cannon, Bretonnian peasants, Runed cannon (if he does rune for it, it's a question of preference). That's it.

Warshrines and trolls are anything but soft. 4+/3+ wards will soak alot of firepower. To counter the stupidity, use a battle standard bearer with the blasted standard if you fear fire attacks so much. Otherwise Banner of the Gods would be awesome in this list.

I would use Warhounds to harrass warmachines. Lots of em.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack