Begginer needs advice to start WoC army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Begginer needs advice to start WoC army

Hello, I hope that's the right place to post, if not I am sorry.

I've never played warhammer before and for now I only have read the WoC army book and a few forum posts.

My idea was to build a Khorne/Nurgle army (because even if I like Tzeetch and Slaneesh in theory, I dont really like the miniatures).

My first question is: is it viable, because I read a lot about Tzeentch beeing superior, etc...?

And I was thinking about buying a battalion, a hero on juggernaut (I love the miniature), and a (nurgle?) sorcerer (on a mount?).

any comment or advice is welcome.

PS: English is not my 1st language, I apologise by advance if my post is not clear.

Last edited by Axvald; September 11th, 2010 at 21:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Khorne and Nurgle are still good - while tzeentch has benefited from 8th ed hand weapon and shield rules, it loses out in other ways (Not being immune to psychology like Khorne or Slaanesh).

Khorne Knights (or even better, Banner of Rage-carrying Knights) are still one of the most brutal attack units in the game, and Khorne warriors either with shields or halberds deal out a tremendous amount of damage.

Nurgle magic is reasonable - the right combo of spells can make a charge go from nasty to devastating. The mark itself is very handy vs shooting, but less so in combat - the WS modifier is only any use when the enemy model is either 1 point higher (therefore hitting you on 4s instead of 3s) or just above half your WS (thus going from 4s to 5s to hit).

It will certainly work. Tzeentch is good, but generally that reputation comes from maxing out a level 4 sorcerer and blasting your opponent with the right spells, lose that wizard (or have his casting ability stripped by a miscast) and things get a lot tougher.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Your post is very clear- especially for someone who isn't a native English speaker. You are more clear than some of the native speakers it seems...
    But aside from that, have you taken a look at either of these threads?
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ions-here.html (Starting WoC? Post Questions HERE)
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...my-viable.html (All Nurgle Army - Is it Viable?)

The first is for a newly made thread especially for beginners and their questions. It's really just my attempt at keeping the boards from becoming too cluttered with threads asking starter questions.
    The second thread is more useful. It talks about the differences between Nurgle and Tzeentch. Other questions about Khorne have been raised on the forums, but they're scattered all over the place.

Essentially, none of the marks are "bad", but there are some which are usually assumed to be better. For example, although Nurgle seems to offer a 1/6 chance of surviving against a round of incoming shooting, it does nothing to save you against weapons which don't roll to hit, and in combat, it only helps you against WS3 or WS6. Tzeentch will always provide a 1/6 chance of survival.
    Khorne is only ever questioned because it is one of the most expensive marks, and is also impermanent. A single round of bad combat, and there goes 30pts spent to gain Frenzy. I wish that Mark of Khorne gave you a Frenzy that never went away, but that's for another day. Right now, if you want to go with Khorne, you certainly can, just be aware that it's quite a few points that may not pay off by the end of the fight.

As for buying a battalion, that's a good start. Characters would also be good, but for the price, I'd buy some Knights and BloodCrushers and convert yourself 3 Heroes. That should give you a BSB and two others. The extra Knights can be used to fill out your Knight regiment if you'd like. Nurgle Sorcerer's aren't bad at all.

Also- if you're not a fan of the models for Tzeentch, remember that there's no specific way that you have to paint your models, and you don't have to use Tzeentch character models to represent Tzeentch characters. You can just as easily use a non-distinct character from the line. Obviously, there's not much that you can do for Juggernauts, as they're pretty much a "khorne-only" item, but all the same, you can mark your troops however you like, regardless of their paint or appearance.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, thank you both for your answer, it is really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post

The first is for a newly made thread especially for beginners and their questions. It's really just my attempt at keeping the boards from becoming too cluttered with threads asking starter questions.
    I actually read your thread but somehow I missed the title and the part I was supposed to post my questions there sorry

Characters would also be good, but for the price, I'd buy some Knights and BloodCrushers and convert yourself 3 Heroes. That should give you a BSB and two others. The extra Knights can be used to fill out your Knight regiment if you'd like.
    That's a really good idea, I'll do that. Thank you.

Also- if you're not a fan of the models for Tzeentch, remember that there's no specific way that you have to paint your models, and you don't have to use Tzeentch character models to represent Tzeentch characters. You can just as easily use a non-distinct character from the line. Obviously, there's not much that you can do for Juggernauts, as they're pretty much a "khorne-only" item, but all the same, you can mark your troops however you like, regardless of their paint or appearance.
    I think I'll start with my idea of a Khorne/Nurgle army and if I get destroyed all the time, I'll do that.

+ Reply to Thread