Is a fighter Lord really necessary? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is a fighter Lord really necessary?

I played a 2500 pt game last night (vs Skaven), and I used a Lord on steed worth about 400 points. My question is; is he worh it? The same price gives you 10 (!) Chaos Knights... or something else awesome... Maybe he is more important against other foes than Skaven, but he didn't really do it for me last night...

- Lars

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I will always take an L4 over a Lord unless I am playing a very weak army.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Lvl 4 for me. Magic, while even more dangerous and unpredictable in 8th, is still very much a dominant phase of the game for some armies. First, I want a lvl 4 to defend against enemy magic. Second, I want a lvl 4 (Tzeentch in my case) to cast offensive magic.

We get enough choppiness from our combat units, and our exalteds can be suited up pretty stoutly to deal with most threats. Sure, super choppy lords will do our exalteds in, but that's a matter of picking one's combats.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super lords (over 300 points) are good because they can work as a kind of blocker for your flankers and for the leadership they provide. A 300+ lord is a pretty powerful force to be reckoned with and your opponent will think twice before coming within charge range of them. This can work to your advantage and your character can do all the damage it wants without ever taking a slice out of the enemy.
    These characters also make great counters for the opponent's lords or monsters.

I'd say, in games of atleast 2500 points, a lord is a good way to go backed by a lvl4 wizard as well (or two lvl2 ones).
    In anything less than that, you probably wont' be faced with too many other super lords so anything over 300 points will probably be overkill.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I prefer combat lords since I like getting in close and battering people - magic can be far too unreliable at times, while a combat lord is reliable (in so much that you always get his 5/6 attacks) and is a superior fighter to most other "normal" Lord choices.

And with outnumbering and fear no longer an issue, you can even get him to hold off units by himself (though you'd want to spec him appropriately, Crown of Command for example or extra attacks).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

If I can afford to pick up a pair of Lords, I go with one of each. If I can only afford 1 lord, I play with a L4 Shadow Sorcerer. In lower games, if I can't afford to pick up a bunch of mages, or I really need some combat help, I'll pick up a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch and give him 3-4 levels.

I would say no- you don't need a combat lord. Our Warriors can do well enough for themselves without him, and careful use of magic, as well as deployment and strategic use of your available troops, means that you can deal with anything you might have to face off against.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I'm with the Captain on taking both. At 2500+, I take one combat lord and one lvl4 shadow sorcerer, backed up by a lvl2 Tzeentch and a BSB, and occasionally a lvl2 Fire. All on foot, in blocks of warriors.

My lords tend to be as follows:

Sorcerer tends to be naked, just level 4 with either Third Eye or maybe a power familiar.

Combat lord v1- "Mr. Choppy"
    Tzeentch
    Shield
    Amulet of Preservation
    Chaos Runesword
    Favor or the Gods

Combat lord v2- "The Ninja"
    Tzeentch
    Shield
    Amulet of Preservation
    Sword of Swift Slaying
    Book of Secrets (shadow)
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    132 (x2)

I've just played my last game with;

A Lv3 caster - who also just happens to be a daemon prince... [okay, no tendrils but SoC and FotBG]

backed up by a Lv2 - who also happens to be a BsB [with Book of Secrets, MoT & Spell Familiar amongst other things]

[They make up >30% of my points] and that's just in my 2000pts army .Leaving the rest of my points for killy stompy mashy stabby things....
    It went rather well. I reckon in 2500+ It'll go to Lv4.
    Last edited by Davidian; September 15th, 2010 at 01:08.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I will have to try both. I'm thinking about a bunker unit of slaanesh marauders to house my Wizard. He can kablooey all he wants and they won't panic. Spells that require forward arc but no line of sight will let me run him behind my main force, sort of like snivelling Skaven do, except in a braver, more manly Warriors of Chaos manner.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    132 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWC09 View Post
    except in a braver, more manly Warriors of Chaos manner.
    The quote "STOP DYING YOU COWARDS!!!" springs to mind

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast