Are we cheesy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we cheesy?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Are we cheesy?

I'm probably going to be entering into a competition this weekend, and I'm thinking that I'll take my Warriors. I feel like we're one of the more powerful armies in 8th edition, but that at the same time, there isn't as much "cheese" about being the best in 8th as there was in say... my Vampires back in 7th.

The question that I'm posing to you is: can you find the cheese (or what I call: extremely points-effective strategies) for us in 8th edition? This is a tournament minded thread, and I'm not expecting to be worried by Comp scores, so imagine you're entering 'Ard Boyz. What would you put into your list?

I'm aware of the "Withering/Enfeebling + Curse" combo, as well as the "Wailing+Favor" combo for giving Chosen better EotG rolls.
    Anything else you miscreants can come up with?

I'm thinking Villitch (for +4 Pandaemoniums) combined with a Puppet, and another L4 with Lore of Shadows, and Festus in a magic phase. Assuming the winds go well, they're looking a LOT of hurt coming their way in the next turn. But is it points effective?

Another consideration was a deathstar of 3 Exalteds on Juggernauts, plus 6 M.Horsemen of Khorne w/ Flails and full command, fielded 6 wide. That would put 4 M.Horsemen and a Jug in the front to attack, followed by full attacks from 2 Jugs in the second rank (monstrous cavalry) and supporting attacks from another 2 Horsemen.
    That's a total of 28S5, 4S4, and a Stomp.
    I could also drop out one of the command models and put 2 Juggernauts up front for the same number of attacks, but have the option to have 2 Exalteds with special equipment to up the damage/attack value.

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; September 20th, 2010 at 07:57.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

I think a juggernaut in second rank doesnt give any attacks. One support attack from the exalted rider thats it.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking for ideas... you can get 2 Chaos Lords and 3 Exalteds with MoT, Discs, and 3+ or 4+ ward saves all around into a 2500 point list. Not going to claim it was my idea, it was posted on YTTH. Not going to elaborate much more because these 2 sites has vastly differing opinions, but I wouldn't mind seeing a report if you give it a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

2 Hellcannons with the Doom totem will make for some interesting panic checks in the shooting phase. It can also misfire and cause all wizards to miscast... Bad if you are magic heavy, but also possibly EPIC if you take out several enemy wizards..
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    132 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Another consideration was a deathstar of 3 Exalteds on Juggernauts, plus 6 M.Horsemen of Khorne w/ Flails and full command, fielded 6 wide. That would put 4 M.Horsemen and a Jug in the front to attack, followed by full attacks from 2 Jugs in the second rank (monstrous cavalry) and supporting attacks from another 2 Horsemen.
    That's a total of 28S5, 4S4, and a Stomp.
    I could also drop out one of the command models and put 2 Juggernauts up front for the same number of attacks, but have the option to have 2 Exalteds with special equipment to up the damage/attack value.
    This makes me wonder.... If you removed the full command, this unit would leave you with 3 Juggs in the front row, with a Marauder-meatshield in tow. So you'd get all 3 stomps, and just use the mara's to soak wounds from shooting etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

That works with warhounds too. Cheaper wounds.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

They FAQ's the BRB so that Monstrous Cavalry have the Monstrous Support rule. The Cavalry part of the model (Jug) will get full attacks, the rider gets 3, and there are no stomps.
    The tournament is 2500, so I had to knock out a Juggernaut anyways, and tossed them in with 6 Chaos Knights. That's still 24S5 on the charge, 2 ranks, 2Stomp, and a S4 steed attack (big deal). I ran a single standard bearer.
    I considered using Hounds for the ablative wounds though, as was discussed a while ago when the Jug Regiment came to be.

Chaos Warrior- the cannon idea is pretty awesome. Mixed with Death or Tzeentch LD-droppers, you can make an absolute mess of people's armies. I usually run 1 and the Totem in my armies.

Warr- any chance you could PM me a link to the article? I'd like to see how people are still managing to work with the Flying Circus lists now that we've got Steadfast to deal with.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Mortal Chaos is not cheesy, simply pigeonholed. You have no choice but to go to melee. The only flexibility is the character selection for magic heavy, or full tilt combat.

When you have no choice in the matter, it's natural to be hard to beat in the only field you excel at.

If the juggernaut is monstrous, you will not be safe in a unit of non-monstrous troops. If he shoots a cannon ball at the unit, he chooses which model takes the hit. Since you are not the same troop type, no Look out MY LORD! roll is possible.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

in that case i'd suggest a charmed shield to deflect a cannonball. Not really cheesy since its common magic items...
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Charmed shield is awesome on Lords. But so is 3+ Ward.
    we excell at combat, but there's so many ways we can do combat. we can be aggressive or defensive in a numerous different ways. Each way is different to tackle if you don't know how.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast