What should i buy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should i buy?

Hi.
    Im starting a WoC army and i dont know what units to buy.

Im going for army size off 2500p but have never played WoC army and dont know what units i should invest in.

So my question is this: Which units should i buy to have a good army.

Lords/heroes
    Core?
    Special?
    Rare?

Have another question that is off topic, hope this is ok to ask.
    Should i use a Sorc Lord or Chaos lord or deamon?

Sorry for the bad spelling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Librarian Zahariel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Depends if you are going for an army with a mark or undivided. Personally I rarely bother paying for marks.
    I would prob say look into:
    Hero on foot with add hw also a a mounted hero to go with the knights- his stats are good enough against most opposition to not need magical bonuses but if you have the pts spare why not.

LOTS of warriors with add hw - bullet magnets I know but when they hit your opponent will know about it that's for sure.

Marauders with shield and add hw - nice cheap meat shields for your harder hitting warriors and also pretty ok in combat.

Chaos knights - just basic with their ensorcelled S5 weapons should be good enough. Spare pts? Possibly take a musician and standard.

Chariots - d6+1 impact hits, enough said.

I don't usually take any rares but i'm always tempted by a Hellcannon!

Like I say if you're taking a marked army, like Tzeentch, you'd take a sorcerer etc.

Due to the unpredictable magic I don't put a sorcerer in with units, lost 200 pts of knights in one miscast and a friend lost 12 warriors the same way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Wcislek View Post
    Hi.
    Im starting a WoC army and i dont know what units to buy.
    Hi, and welcome to the Chaos Wastes!

Your question could mean one of two things, and I'm not sure which one you intended to ask:

1) if you mean buying the actual models, your best bet ( as suggested many times on this Forum) is to grab the Battalion Box ( or 2 ) and a few character blisters.

2) if you are talking about army lists, there is a whole sub-forum full of great suggestions. Take some time to read through them. I know that helped me to get rolling.

As for your question about Lord choice, it is mostly a matter of personal preference, as all of the options have their strengths and weaknesses. My suggestion is to find the one that suits your play-style best and go with it. He will do you proud!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Hi Kristian,

My first purchase was the Batalian Box, and a Lord on Juggernaut. Gave me a good solid army, and the Lord is just an awesome model to paint.

Next I got Festus and Wulfric hero models - since I can use either as Special Charachters or as regular heroes. Looking back I wouldn't get Wulfric, he is pretty ugly and too bulky.

Then I got a block of warriors - since those guys are probably our best core unit, and one of the best in the game.

Finally, I got a second Batalian Box. Took a long time to paint up, but now I have a solid army for games up to 2K points.

Today, I'll probably get a chariot - it can be used for Cavelry assualt, hero bunkering, or as a warshrine (with a pile of skills and a fancy standard inside). Hellcannon is always tempting me, especially when I'm getting shot at, which is a lot - but I think the model is too pricy and a bit ugly, and it can also hurt our own armies a LOT.

I can't bring myself to get Marauder Horsemen, too much money for a weak plastic unit that dies fast - and I get free knights with the Batalian Box.

Good Luck with your army.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As has been said, I'd start with 2 Battalion boxes, that gives you a great core for your army.

for characters, I'd get a mounted sorcerer, a foot sorcerer and the same for heroes - that way you have the versatility of being able to place them with whatever units you like, and also can use spares as lords for the tmie being.

Once you're more established with your army, I'd then look at special characters like lord on jugger, lord on disc etc as you will have more of an idea of what you want to play and wont end up with expensive spare models you wont use (like I have).
    My WoC Painting Blog updated 3rd Oct 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help. Im thinking of just buying 2 batalion boxes and then go for som lord and heroes.
    And im thinking of buying the hellcanonon, i think it looks cool and could be a good thing to have something that will shoot back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

The Hellcannon is both scary looking, and very effective on the board, and as everyone has stated already, you can't go wrong with 2 battalion boxes..
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

+ Reply to Thread