Chaos Lord Out of Retirement - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Chaos Lord Out of Retirement

Well, today I had my Sorcerer Lord die due to miscasting for the third time in a row so it's time to bring the Chaos Lord out of retirement. Here he is, any tips would be welcome:

Chaos Lord of Tzeentch
    Barded Steed
    Shield [Armour Save of 1]
    Helm of Many Eyes [for re-rollable hits with my INI.7)
    Rending Sword [re-rollable wounds since I'm only STR.5]
    Talisman of Preservation [+3 wardsave]

Total: 354 points

I know he only has 5 attacks, but he should be tough as nails plus he gets to re-roll when it really matters, and my rolling skills are horrible! Also, since he has stupidity from the helm, does that make him immune to psychology too?

He will go with a unit of six equally stupid trolls and crash into the biggest bad-ass unit the enemy can field in a 1500 point game.

Sona si Latine loqueris.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

He looks really nice I must confess. Its a setup that I've never considered. I love the double re-roll feature.

His stupidity should indeed make him immune to psychology as well yes.

My only objection would be putting him in a unit of trolls, as he wouldn't get a 'Look out sir!' roll and you would have to allocate normal missile fire against him at times. I guess his AS and Ward Save should take care of most of this, but I would personally prefer to have him in a unit of the same Troop Type.
    Tzeentch Knights with Blasted Standard would put the enemy shooting off completely, but I guess that his own awesome save would feel a little bit like a waste in that phase of the game then. Alternatively they could have Banner of rage which would give each knight as many Str5 attacks as your trolls (ofcourse not if they had to fight in supporting ranks).

I know that these are not very original suggestions compared to your crazy trolls =P
    The very big plus that your setup has, is ofcourse that the stupidity penalty of getting ASF is effectively negated when he is placed in a stupid unit. That part is great.

Side note: I feel that it is a bit unfair that you lose the shooting protection of a unit also when its a 'bigger' troop type like in this case. A Chaos warrior can't showe your mounted lord out of the way - fine. But a troll should be able to (if he could muster the intelligence to do so ofcourse). =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Well, I'm going to try him this weekend with my new 1500pt. army, which I've just posted.

I was thinking that since the enemy won't have Line of Sight (I'll reform first turn to bunker him, and use Make Way when we reach Close Combat). Thus according to the rules, less than 50% of the model will be visible - that's HARD COVER baby, -2 to enemy ballistic skill targeting my Lord. Cannonballs might get stopped by a Troll not dying too.

Moreover, I plan to run the unit along a flank that has either buildings/barricades or forest.

I'll let you know how he went in a battle report afterward.
    Last edited by Ascendo Tuum; October 14th, 2010 at 11:49.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

When a character joins a unit he's placed into the front rank. That means he always is in the front rank, unless there is no room because of other characters and command already taking up those spots. Anyways, hardcover doesn't matter, because they shoot the unit and you allocate 1 hit per model, so if you have 5 trolls and he hits you 6 times, your lord takes a hit. Not to mention a cannon or stone thrower will have no problems just hitting him.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Also the 'footprint' of cavalry bases do not fit in a unit of trolls, so even with 'creative readings' of the reform rules you still have to place him next to your front rank.

Check page 98 of the BRB - 'When Footprints Collide'

'If a characters foorprint does not fit neatly into a unit, place him on the edge of the unit, beside the front rank...'

The diagrams show it quite well.
    Last edited by Filthor; October 14th, 2010 at 15:05.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

oh well, it was worth a try - I'll just try to hide behind buildings then, and hope the wardsave will be enough.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Give him the charmed shield. First hit is disregarded on a roll of 2+. That way if you get hit by a cannon or a bolt thrower on turn 1, you have a chance to survive.
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

give him armour of damnation
    therfore u have re-roll to hit and to wound and he has to-re-roll to hit u and i think u have 5 points spare for a charmed shield
    also take lore of heavans (re-roll all 1's and ur apponent has to re-roll al 6's) for the altimate Lord of the Re-Roll's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run my Lord like this:
    MoT
    Runesword
    Talisman of Preservation
    Charmed Shield

He is nearly unkillable, he killed 2 unit champions, a butched, and a giant all in the same combat after his unit of khorne warriors were killed by the 2 units of ironguts that charged them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

That sounds like a very "Killy" build. And after killing a character and a giant, he gets 2 rolls on the EoTG table. NICE !!
    5000 pts of WoC, 5000 pts of Orcs and now 3000 pts of Ogres...What was I thinking ????

+ Reply to Thread