Archaon. Worth using? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Archaon. Worth using?

hey guys,
    I just dug up my Archaon model and I was thinking if he was worth using in large-ish games (at 3000). Going on his stats he is about on par with a regular chaos lord but at twice the price, but some of the wargear he comes with is amazing.
    So, how effective do you think he would be in an all-comers list? I don't want this to turn into a "Best Builds For Chaos Lords" thread, just discussing the effectiveness of this one character.
    So what do you all think?

When in doubt, more Bloodcrushers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I vote Archeon.

There is one guy at the store who uses him with a HUGE block of knights, a warshrine, and about 40 warriors in 3K games, and he wins about 90% of them - and if he does lose, Archeon still doesn't die.

Archeon has been awesome every single game I've seen him in. For one he gives so many buffs to the knights it's incredible; -1 to hit for the whole unit, magic resistance, and immune to psychology.
    He makes the best general in the entire army with leadership 10, and 18 inches of inspiring presence. We can even re-roll break tests if within 12 inches, that's a free BSB too.
    In hand to hand he is also very scary and tough as nails. And he can channel with +3 to cast spells.

There are basically 2 drawbacks with him:
    First he is EXPENSIVE. and people using him should read his special rules and item lists about 10 times over to really appreciate what he brings to the game on all three levels: Army, Unit, Model.
    Second he is NOT invulnerable and opponents will know exactly what to expect and plan against - but even then they will have to invest a lot of effort to kill him.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is it with his ward save
    the eye of sheerian grants archaon a 3+ WS... does this becomes 2+ with the mark of tzeentch he has?

and he doesnt do terror? a bit odd i think

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was recently thinking the same thing, looking at just his stats they are pretty good, including his mount I think they are able to unleash 8 S5 attacks, nice. He can cast magic as well as defend against it and nurgle makes him pretty hard to hit all the time. He has good armour and an interesting but good weapon, his ward save is pretty unbeatable and

and he doesnt do terror? a bit odd i think
    Krull

he does cause terror.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Krull View Post
    how is it with his ward save
    the eye of sheerian grants archaon a 3+ WS... does this becomes 2+ with the mark of tzeentch he has?
    No, because he doesn't have the mark of tzeentch, he is the chosen of tzeentch which has its own rules described

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok
    next battle i'll take him
    with 13 or 16 knights

pretty tough unit then

will you use the weapon to it's full potential or keep it save and just use the 5 attacks?
    (i do roll a lot of 1's)

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I'd say with the weapon only go all out if you need too. Say in a challenge with a vamp lord, other chaos lord, beefed up oldblood. I've always wanted to try him out. Means I have to get a bunch more knights though and I'm busy using vilitch.

I do think his strengths lie in him being able to do pretty much everything thus making no obvious single weakness except forced miscasts tbh.

A

+ Reply to Thread