Exotic ways to run Chosen. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Exotic ways to run Chosen.

Okay, as time progresses, with most units there seems to be one or two "optimal" builds that dominate about every list you see here on the forum. With Chosen, it has lately become this one:

18 Chosen of Tzeentch
    Halberds, Shields
    Full Command
    Favor of the Gods on Champion
    Wailing Banner

Now, this is a fantastic unit, don't get me wrong. But let's see if we can get some other nice ones up here! This one I'd like to try out sometime:

18 Chosen of Khorne
    Additional Hand Weapons, Shields
    Full Command
    Favor of the Gods on Champion
    Wailing Banner

What makes the difference here is that with control of the results, you can get the +1 Strength pretty easy, and you can can in general expand their combat potential better than Tzeentch Chosen with Halberds when you add Warshrines to the mix. Mainly because these guys benefit a lot more from the added strength than the Tzeentch Chosen with halberds, so if they get both the +1 str and +1 attack... That's 5 str 5 attacks per guy in the front rank, just so brutal.

Anyone like the Book of Secrets on the champ? Are there other interesting item combos we need to find out? Ruby Ring of Ruin perhaps?

Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Putting the ASF sword on the champ might be a neat way to get some extra VP's for headtaking. . . .

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162 (x3)

How about the Ironcurse Icon? I always thought it'd be interesting. Especially with the Blasted Standard.

I think that the Favour is better, but it'd still be good to try. 3+ ward against war machines anyone?
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal_God View Post
    How about the Ironcurse Icon? I always thought it'd be interesting. Especially with the Blasted Standard.

I think that the Favour is better, but it'd still be good to try. 3+ ward against war machines anyone?
    I'm afraid that you can't 'stack' ward saves like that. Only very very few things can add to another ward save (Mark of Tzeentch for example).
    In the case of Ironcurse Icon and Blasted Standard, you would have to choose one of them so the icon would be redundant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Nurgle/halberds
    Festering Shroud
    FC/Amulet of Putrefaction

Khorne/AHW
    Razor Standard
    FC/Potion of Strength

Khorne/Halberds
    Banner of Swiftness
    FC/Helm of many Eyes

Tzeentch/shields
    Blasted Standard
    FC/Collar of Khorne

I think book of secrets is a neat idea too, but AHW+potion_of_strength or halberd+helm_of_many_eyes could really surprise an enemy champion
    Last edited by Ascendo Tuum; December 16th, 2010 at 11:41.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

I've thought of the Shrieking Blade (cause Fear) or the Terrifying Mask of Eeee (cause Terror) as maybe an alternative to the Wailing Banner. It makes the champion cause Fear/Terror, and that means enemy units in base contact with HIM has to test for Fear. But I don't know if it means that the unit causes Tear/Terror for the purposes of Eye of the Gods...

What you can do, however, is to put something else on the champ and let a Character with Favor of the Gods join the unit at the start of the game.

Collar of Khorne is nice on the champ as well. And yes, Sword of swift slaying can be great, especially in challenges and such.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I always thought favor only worked on the model[s] recieving the blessing, ie. the hero. The Chosen get the blessing at the start, as a unit, not the hero - so why would the hero be able to influence the roll? If it is allowed, then does that mean I can use favor on a hero to boost my warrior block to T5 from a warshrine? That would be very nice indeed.

I still think khorne/halberd/helm-of-many-eyes is a very cheap killer-champion.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Ascendo- If there's a Hero in a regiment of Warriors who get the buff, he can move it around as he is part of the unit at that time. If he leaves the unit, he loses the buff. If you want to buff your characters and be able to move them around, you have to designate them as the target at the expense of the unit.
    Chosen work the same way- the EotG roll is at the beginning of the game, not before deployment. So you can stick a Character in there during deployment and use his Favor if you want. I've done this before with a BSB or a Sorc Lord who had a few extra points to spare.

Putting the Book on your Champion can work well, although there are a lot of nasty results that can kill him outright (one S10 hit an it's over).

I've often considered putting a Festering Shroud in the unit, and giving the Champ the Blasphemous Amulet. Put the Musician between the two, so that you spread out your bases, and you should hit ~6 enemy models with a Toughness test each turn.
    The problem is, MoN is practically useless on Chosen. With WS6, the only things that it affects are Ws7 or Ws3 opponents. Basic Warriors effects Ws3 or Ws6, which are a little more common.

I normally run my Chosen:
    MoT
    Add HW
    Wailing Banner
    Favor
    and give them +1S if I don't get the Wardsave. They're the same as Halberds, or better if there's a Shrine on the table.

The damage output on this unit is incredible. Last game I was in, I was charged by a regiment of LM TempleGuard with Halberds. My regiment dished out a boatload of attacks and quickly dropped half the enemy regiment (I did cheat and have a 4A BSB present). The LM attack back, kill off 7 of my Warriors. Next turn I reform, bring my frontage to 8 for maximum attacks, and buff the unit with Okkams. Dropped an immediate 31S8 attacks on his head, killed 18 Saurus, which would have destroyed the unit even at full strength.

Dropping Festus into the regiment has had insane results for me as well, when I ran this unit:

16 Chosen
    FC
    Banner of Rage, Favor
    Add HWs
    (394)
    Festus
    (579 total)

Damage output?
    with +1A from the EotG roll, that was
    35 S4 poisoned attacks, with a 4+5++

They took down a dual charge from 24 enemy Chosen with Halberds, Banner of Rage, +1S, and a Khorne Chariot.

You can get the same effect from Warriors and a Warshrine for much cheaper, although with slightly less certainty.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162 (x3)

Oh, damn. Yes, completely forgot. Thanks for that, guess I cheated in my game then...
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Something you pretty much never see is anyone running chosen with hand weapon+shield. I guess this is because IF you happen to get the 4+ ward, you have no use of the parry save anymore. However, I think they might be very viable. They can be an absolutely fantastic anvil unit, the parry save is not the only thing about it.

If they get a 6, they'll have a 2+ armour save combined with a 5+ parry save - that's hard. And even more, if they get a 3... Toughness 5 on that unit is very awesome, extra strength makes them as hard hitting as if they had one-handed halberds... etc. And well, if you get a 12, it's not like you'll have your worst game ahead of you. Maybe it is not optimal, but worth giving a try I think. It's a reliable unit whatever result you get IMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast