Festus in a 1000 Tournement Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1148 (x8)

Festus in a 1000 Tournement Army?

What I really want to know is this...

Is Festus the Leechlord worth taking in the below list as my half of a tourney army with my friend's skaven or would I be better served running with a regular lvl2 nurgle sorc, with perhaps 3rd eye of tzeentch or the like as Festus seems rather squishy to be in with the chosen having only a +5 regen save?

General
    Festus

Core
    7 Warhounds
    6 Marauder Horsemen (shields, throwing axes, MoN, Champion)
    6 Marauder Horsemen (shields, throwing axes, MoN, Champion)

Special
    19 Chosen (Halberds, shields, MoN, full command, banner of rage) - Festus in here

Just to point out the army is nearly already built and painted to a standard that might win best painted so I am not willing to change any of the list other than Festus to a regular sorc

Thanks in advance

If you try and fail......TRY HARDER
    CMoN Gallery
    Dee's Paint Filled Hellhole

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Festus works really well in units that have LOTS of attacks, to make the most of poison. When I've played him I use MoK chaos warriors for 4 attacks apiece.
    In 1000 point game I think you want to economise and try and put as many bodies on the battlefield as possible. 19 chosen are NOT cheap and just as vulnerable at range as normal chaos warriors, in a game this size is the extra weapon skill and EoG roll really worth the cost? The unit size is probably too large anyway, I generally go for 12-15, I think 13 is optimal since they means they need to cause 4 wounds to deprive you of a rank or make you panic from casualties. Horsemen are very fragile and give them light armour instead of shields, mechanically it's the same armour save but since you can't parry while mounted it seems pointless to go with shields.

Since you don't want to change the list I'd at least consider running the Chosen as Chaos Warriors, which is perfectly valid! Try them as two groups of 10, or 12 Chaos Warriors and 8 Chosen to get enough points back to field something extra. Winning the best painted army is nice, but your question was whether Festus is worth it, the answer is probably no given the rest of your list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Festus is great in a tournament setting because he gives poison, and poison is a real take all comers weapon.

I don't know about the 3rd Eye though. At 1000 pts you wont be facing so many potent casters.
    But I strongly recomend you to take all the cheap magic you can. Like the Book of Secrets on your Chosen Champion.
    The Book is your only access to Lore of Shadow, because our Sorc Lords are too expensive.
    The Lore of Shadow is awesome if you team up with Skaven because you can buff his units or debuff the enemies so that even your friends Skavenslaves are able to kill something.

I would give the Chosen MoT for the ward save. There are a lot of cheap cannons out there that can really mess up your day. even if you only make 2 ward saves, that alone pays for the Mark itself.

On a second thought I would get a cheap combat hero istead of Festus. WoC MUST challenge, and that is a great way to lose your heroes...
    Last edited by Mr_Wayne; January 4th, 2011 at 19:56.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this could be a strong combo,
    i would just change MoN for MoT and the rage banner for blasted standard, so you are a bit protected against shooting

never used marauder horsemen so i can't say if i would take those

maybe drop a unit of horsemen and a few chosen for a small unit of warriors

i think some armies will certainly have difficulties with it

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1148 (x8)

Thanks for the comments/ideas guys however those that are suggesting dropping other units and replacing them with other units I have already built all of the models and painted most of them so that is not an option, replacing marks again models are built and/or painted and very "nurgle" as this is a Nurgle themed tournement army thats a big no i'm afraid. I have given it a long hard think and I am going to do this instead....

General
    lvl2 sorc - MoN, Bloodcurdling Roar, Spell Familar

Core
    6 Marauder Horsemen - MoN, Throwning Axes, Shields, Champ
    6 Marauder Horsemen - MoN, Throwning Axes, Shields, Champ
    7 Warhounds - Scaly Skin

Special
    19 Chosen - Full Command, MoN, Halberds, Shields, Banner of Rage, Book of Secrets (for Champ)

Comes to exactly 1000points

Way I see it is this. My ally is taking 1 massive block of slaves and 2 large blocks of clan rats, 2 weapon teams, 1 warp lightning cannon and 1 1lvl Warlock enginner so he has more than enough to bulk the combined force out with me providing the both the fast harrassing aspect and the utter flith unit that is the Chosen....
    CMoN Gallery

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try it out, and let us know how it went!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Just a little sidenote, Festus own rules say that he has Regenerate, that would mean that he himself has a regular 4+ regen save and does not use the 5+ save he gives to his unit.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

9. ThanksMrDee thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

I'd drop the Scaly skin on the warhounds and take either charmed shield or iron curse icon on the sorc, neither of which really have to be modelled on due to being magic

Oh, I'd also drop the champions from the horsemen units leaving you enough points to give your sorc something else as well (the champions just give you +1A, and seeings as your units are equipped for ranged harrasment and not close combat they don't really do anything)

I've been tempted by running a level 2 sorc with spell familiar, charmed shield and the sword of anti-heroes as challenge defence, bumps him to S5 A3 if there is a single hero in the opposing unit

alternatively, something you probably won't want to do is put standard bearers in your horsemen units, replacing the champions, but if you roll scenario 4 you're stuffed as if your sorc miscasts and kills himself you lose the game
    Last edited by VampireCabbage; January 5th, 2011 at 10:44.

11. ThanksMrDee thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1148 (x8)

@ Viktor

Thanks for pointing that out, I am going to try some more practice games without festus as I rather like the additions I can fit in by dropping him, still have 1.5 months till the tourney to really make sure about which guy to take.

@ Vampirecabbage

I think I will drop the scaly skin and take the iron curse icon as only thing I am really worried about is warmachines and makes sense the warhound are there to make the army look a little pretty and act as fodder Warhounds Link (Dee's Ruinous Powers WIP) so I aint bothered about them dying. Can't drop the champs from the horsemen as it will drop the core points below 25%, what I should have done is drop the champs and maybe added another horseman to each unit making them units of 7 which would have been fitting as a nurgle army, sadly I was worried about Festus getting dragged into challenges so I popped them in so I could charge them in and have the champs issue challenges and as you can see Horsemen Link (Dee's Ruinous Powers WIP) they are already built and painted to a fairly high standard changing things now is NOT an option. Also rolling for scenario 4 will not be an issue as we are playing meeting engagement 1st, Dawn Attack 2nd and Battleline lastly.
    Last edited by MrDee; January 5th, 2011 at 19:27.
    CMoN Gallery

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Actually, I get the cost of one of your horsemen units to 138 (276 for the pair), so you could drop the champions and still be above core limit (250 ) I dont think there would be an issue with using a champion model as a non-champion

actually i'd check your points again, i get 990 in total

my guess at what you have wrong would be the mark of nurgle on the sorc, I always think its the same cost for him as it is for the units... but its 10pts cheaper
    Last edited by VampireCabbage; January 6th, 2011 at 14:02.

14. ThanksMrDee thanked for this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast