Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
New to both WHFB and WoC. Been trying to think of some neat tricks to pull that won't be expected. I'd like to get some input on one in particular, not sure if it's legal or if it even works like this, so anything in regards to that would be super!
Beginning with setting up Pandemonium (Lore of Tzeentch) to prevent the opponent from using caracters leadership. Combined with Doom Banner and Doom and Darkness (Lore of Death) you could force units with a mighty 8LD take leadership tests at 4LD. Unless my number crunching is thoroughly wrong, that's a 22% chance to pass, or for our purposes, 78% chance of success. And that's against units with 8LD.
What I'd like to do is use Fear in combination with Mark of Nurgle to drop units to WS0 in close combat. They'd be unable to attack and all attacks against them would hit. This could turn really nasty with Marauders in particular.
Give them great weapons, an Exalted outfitted with a Banner of Rage mounted on a Daemonic Mount to cause Fear. They could potentially deal 43 S5 hits with the Exalted included in horde formation, and they'd take no casualties.
I'm new so I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's pretty crazy. Thoughts?
Last edited by Bjorn; January 5th, 2011 at 15:00. Reason: Corrected amount of hits
Unfortunately, your Fear/Nurgle idea won't quite work. I don't have my book on hand, but I believe that MoN states that it reduces WS to a minimum of 1. Furthermore, that reduction is only counted against outbound attacks, you'll still swing against their normal WS (or WS1 if they fail their check) when attacking them.
Your LD drop tactic is pretty solid, and something we've used before. Doom-n-Darkness, plus the Doom Totem, and a blast from a HellCannon forces a panic check at -5LD. A Wailing Banner with a Diabolic Splendour in the unit means a Terror check at -5.
I'm not sure if Pandaemonium is required, because the LD drops against the Target regiment might also affect outside sources of LD coming in. I'd like another vet to give a ruling on that.
The downside to the tactic is that you'll discover that a lot of your juiciest targets are somehow immune to this ploy- either because theyre immune to Psych through Frenzy or Unbreakable, or they cause Fear or Terror themselves. Still, catching those regiments who are not, and bombing them off the table, is thoroughly satisfying.
Buckets, you're right, Nurgle does drop to a minimum of 1. Would've been fun to try out otherwise. Pandaemonium was mostly to negate any outside LD that is higher than the LD of the unit, modifiers do affect it too, as far as my understanding of the rules go. Thanks for taking the time to comment!
Actually it doesn't say minimum, just that attackers got a -1ws when attacking someone with MoN
Edit: Checked FAQ, doesn't say anything about minimum either
Yeah, it's a loophole or something similar. The rulebook says nothing about not being able to attack with WS 0, but it does not show up on the to hit-chart either.
Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks
Yeah, recent tournament ruled it that if the opponent failed his fear test, he'd need 6's to hit, seems like a good comprimise to me