Forsaken: Should they be forsaken by us? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forsaken: Should they be forsaken by us?

This thread is all about forsaken (as you might have gathered from the title). Here you will be able to post your thoughts, questions, insights, strategies, and anything else you can think of about forsaken.
    To start it off, how do you think forsaken should be used?
    Should they be used as a support troop?
    Should they not be used at all?
    Are they best as main unit?
    Ok, GO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

The only one I "know" of that uses forsaken regularly is Lord Borak. Mostly as a small flanking unit to deal with light cavalry and such. a small group of 6 will hit relatively hard with d6+1 attacks, hard enough that your opponent can't really afford to ignore them I guess. That being said, I'd only ever consider fielding them in small numbers, never as a main unit, they're simply to unreliable for that and to easy to kill with shooting (Lord Borak seems to have greater faith in T4 than I do )

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

NEVER!!!!..............Thanks Zarb

To start it off, how do you think forsaken should be used? Should they be used as a support troop?
    I use them in units of 5 or 6, as a supporting flanky type unit. In all honesty they'd suck as a ranked up unit. That's what Warriors and Chosen are for with their standards and so forth. You take Forsaken for their speed and the ability to take them in small units. 6 Forsaken kick out anywhere between 12-24 attacks. At WS4 and str4 thats pretty damn scary for a 'small' flanky unit.

I'd never say take them over Horsemen, you take them AS WELL. Horsemen are faster and are better able to deal with things, well, faster. However Horsemen can't deal with everything. Hunting down enemy Level 4's hiding in archer units is something they can't do due to their sucky Toughness and armour save. This is where I've found forsaken to come in handy. They can happily charge through the stand and shoot reaction and then rip merry hell on the enemy unit.

This forces enemies to run their wizards on their own (with 30 hounds, 10 forsaken and 20 Horsmen running around, would you run him on his own?) or put them in his main fighty units which are going up against the Warrior blocks? Tough decisions over all I think.....

There's other uses for them like hunting down enemy flankers (squigs etc), Warmachines, lone characters, smaller fighty units and anything that is too strong to send horsemen after but too less of a worry to send one of your main units after.

Well, thats how I use them. I really would like to hear how other people use them. Seriously...........anyone? Anyone at all?

Should they not be used at all?
    Depends who you talk to

Are they best as main unit?
    Nope...... Warriors, Chosen and Marauders are best for 'main' units.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; March 12th, 2011 at 20:17.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I made some sweet forsaken conversions and decided to test them out in a few friendly games. Using them mainly as flanking/supporting unit, and in all honesty, I have no idea what sort of opponent Lord Borak plays against, but they obviously dont have any shooters at all, or his opponents have some seriously bad dice rolls.

First game i played I had 12 forsakens (2 units of 6) playing against dwarfs. I marched both of them up on each flank to take on his Thunderers. one unit got killed in his shooting phase by 20 thunderers, the other suffered 5 wounds from stand and shoot, and the last one got killed in close combat.

2nd game was vs empire, and his 10 outriders made very quick work of all 12. 1 unit was destroyed in his shooting phase, the other disappeared in a cloud of smoke when I tried to charge.

Overall, I really love the idea behind forsaken's and I would love to field them in my battles, but in all honesty, they are points out the window. You are better off either fielding tons of warhounds/marauder horsemen if you need flankers/warmachine hunters. they will still die from focus shooting, but you can field alot more "wounds" than bringing a few forsakens.
    if you want something with a punch, spend the point on chaos warriors. they are Cheaper than forsakens, has +1 armour and +1ws, and with additional hand weapon and MoK, they have 4 attacks each, which is the same as the maximum amount of attack a forsaken can get. the +2 movement of the forsaken simply dont make up for the cheaper point costs of a chaos warrior, better armoursave, weaponskill, marks, banner, and equipment upgrades for the same points.

I honestly cant figure out why forsakens wear heavy armour and not chaos armour. They are the only models in the WoC army book who uses heavy armour, and I really think its a typo that they don't wear chaos armour. (they are afterall chaos warriors/marauders/chosen who have been "gifted" and moved closer towards spawnhood right? would seem natural that they still wear their old armours after loosing their sanity.

my conclusion?
    Forsakens are too expensive to bring in their current state, and dont have the protection justifying their point value. You can get the same job done by other, cheaper units

to answer the OP post: No to all three questions.
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
    I honestly cant figure out why forsakens wear heavy armour and not chaos armour. They are the only models in the WoC army book who uses heavy armour, and I really think its a typo that they don't wear chaos armour. (they are afterall chaos warriors/marauders/chosen who have been "gifted" and moved closer towards spawnhood right? would seem natural that they still wear their old armours after loosing their sanity.
    I think it says in the army book that their chaos armor has been bent and destroyed by the afflictions and mutations that they have been gifted... Look in their entry in the army book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what sort of opponent Lord Borak plays against, but they obviously dont have any shooters at all, or his opponents have some seriously bad dice rolls.
    Lord Borak: What armies do you play agenst? Just wondering...

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I have no idea what sort of opponent Lord Borak plays against, but they obviously dont have any shooters at all, or his opponents have some seriously bad dice rolls.
    Mainly combaty type armies as, luckily, my mates find gunline lists tedious and dull armies to use. So maybe that's why I have sucess with them and some don't. However there are always Dark Elves with Crossbowmen & Bolt throwers, Gobbo Archers etc..........

As for the dice rolls, usually it's me that rolls terribly.... *sigh*

Forsakens are too expensive to bring in their current state, and dont have the protection justifying their point value. You can get the same job done by other, cheaper units
    ...........are they? What units are cheaper? What do you give Marauder Horsemen? Flails? Mark of Khorne/Slaanesh? That works out to 105pts and 85pts respectively. For 5 models with Toughness 3 and a 6+ Save. Does their protection justify their point value? Not saying it doesn't as they have the funky Vanguard rule but Forsaken have other things in their favour too.

How would those units fair being shot at by 20 Thunderers or 10 Outriders? How would ANY unit fair being shot at by those units?

Last edited by Lord Borak; March 13th, 2011 at 01:18.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by kelpbot2 View Post
    I think it says in the army book that their chaos armor has been bent and destroyed by the afflictions and mutations that they have been gifted... Look in their entry in the army book.
    you'r right.
    "These atavistic warriors often bear writhing tentacles, chitinous claws, extra heads or hairy, grasping limbs that push out from the shattered remains of their once-prized Chaos armour"

for game purpose tho, I do think they should give them the same armoursave as chaos armour tho. (hardened skin/mutations could make up for the decredation of their torn armours? ) anyway, that's my personal oppinion
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Yeah that would be nice I think Forsaken could be a little bit better though or cheaper, as you said.

Str5, Hatred or maybe 'fixed' attacks or maybe a roll on the eye of the gods roll to represent their 'mutations' could fix them maybe? Who knows. I'd certainly have a mutations chart that you roll on at the start of the game. Maybe not as awesome as the Chosens one but one to at least give them some fruitiness.

Maybe something like the Chaos Space marine Possessed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that would be really cool. Unfortunatly, i dont see a new armybook coming out anytime soon, even in the distant future... I think that they will get shot at more in a game because they are seen as alot more of a threat when compared to dogs or horsemen... Just a thought

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast