Replacing Magic with Warshrines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Replacing Magic with Warshrines

Given that most casters only have one or two truly deadly spells, and those usually get the full 6-dice treatment for irresistible force, perhaps it's time for us to reconsider the whole value-for-points thing for magic altogether, and just replace our casters with warshrines.

Taking it one step further, since most exalted heroes are good value, I could see a 2K army comprised solely of 500 points of heroes and no Lords. This would allow for some very impressive armies on the field.

What do you guys think? Bear in mind there is no limit to dispell dice against a cast spell and even in our wizard-free army we can still cast dispell upon Remains in Play magic during our redundant magic phase.

Sona si Latine loqueris.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I don't think this is a viable option. Magic isn't about nuking everything, it's about putting pressure where it needs it and relieving pressure where you are sore. People that toss 6 dice at their biggest nukes have a tendancy to go pop, and the infernal puppet (only taken by a mage) helps turn the pop into a boom. Recenty I have been using a lvl 4 mage of shadows with the spell familiar, giving me my choice of what spells i want. I have access to 3 hexes that are all very useful and can be cast each magic phase, and a buff that will help ruin big nasties. The damage spells are not that impressive, but very useful against low I armies (Which i see more and more). Also, the mentality you just described allowed me to pull off most of my hexes each magic phase, as the dispel dice were always saved for the pit of shades that never came.

and anyway, how is a warshrine anymore reliable? Extra ldr, magic resistance, fear/terror, or stupidity or eye is closed are all very likely rolls. To me, this is foolish to use as a replacement for magic. It can work well in conjunction with magic.

You also have to remember that there are not as many remains in play spells as there once was, and that a base hex cannot be dispelled on your own magic phase. and without any bonus to your rolls from a lack of a mage, your opponent won't need to roll 6 dice to blast you out of the water, he only has to roll as many as you have, sometimes less. Perhaps if we had access to items that grant additional Dispel dice, or disple scrolls or the like then it wouldn't be so overpowering each phase.

I agree that a lord-less list is quite possible, they can be a huge point sink without much payoff. Heros are close enough in stats without costing as much, and the less you spend on magic gear the more you can spend on our awesome troops.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

I tried it.
    It didn't work so great.

For 500 points, you can have 2 good Hero characters, or 3 sub-par ones.
    And the extra troops, you loose fast in the magic fase because Magic resistance is futile.

I agree, focussing on magic is rather boring. So what I do now is the following;
    Combat lord and BSB.
    My lord is kitted out to either be a flying stubborn un-killable bastard. Or a flying un-killable putrefying bastard.
    The bsb rocks the Armor of Destiny and a Halberd for troop support and not dieing.

I use one mage with the 3rd eye and a scroll for a cheap magic phase.
    I don't pay for magic spells, my opponent does that for me. If he doesn't have any magic, I haven't spent a fortune either, and can still shoot some fire at big regenerating things.
    What I have found is a Tzeentch caster on a disk preforms best. This is because you are maneuverable enough to stay out of trouble and still have a Line of sight (very important).
    I tried this guy on foot, but he becomes useless after turn 2-3, because he will be in combat by then and have no LoS.

Magic resistance is completely useless, because the most damage you get from spells are from Hexes or spells that don't allow for saves.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus-Prime View Post

I agree, focussing on magic is rather boring. So what I do now is the following........
    That sounds exactly like my Marauder army, well slightly anyway (no disc). After a few mediocre games with a Level 4 in the list I felt the points were a bit wasted, or at least could be put to better use.

If you're not going for a Level 4 then a Level 2 with MoT, Puppet and the 3rd Eye is an awesome bargain. Let your opponent pay for your 4 levels of magic. I back this up with an Exalted Hero with BoS and a Dispel scroll as a cheap, dual purpose, Caddy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Hmm,

I think I'll try Borak's build next game - sounds like very good value for points.
    Sona si Latine loqueris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I might be a bit off with the new rules (played a lot of 7th), but as far as Ive been able to read, combat in itself does not block LOS. True, the models will block LOS, but there will still be a "unbroken line of sight" between your sorcerer and the model(s) in front of it. I also recently saw an errata that allows you to target characters inside units with buboes.

I know this is off the topic, but I thought it might be of interest.
    Wrathchilde
    WFB - Empire, VC, WoC; W40K - Eldar, Dark Eldar
    Conversion Web Blog (Danish)

+ Reply to Thread