Complete neophyte painter guides? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete neophyte painter guides?

Hey guys,

As some of my posts previous have probably shown, I am pretty much brand new at the whole Warhammer thing, and I'm loving it so far.

But as a complete newcomer to the world (and never being much of an artiste) I have no idea what a lot of the painting tips are saying. What is a 'wash'.. 'dry brushing'.. 'edge detailing'... things like that.

So my question is: Is there a definitive guide to painting GW models out there any of you suggest? Free tutorials are great if you have them, but I'm not averse to purchasing an official "Start-To-Finish" guide either if you all have some to suggest.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Not sure if its any good, but GW has a book called how to paint citadel minitatures, which explains different techniques for painting models.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

If you have a hoby store nearby where people play, ask the owner. While you can read up online the best way is to see the stuff up close and explained in detail. I've learned nothing online, it's all about real conversations and seeing examples. There may be good tuturials out there, but it would be hard to appy without interaction and critisism of your work.
    Plus most people jsut don't have the camera power to show the fine details and give them justice.

to start tho you could google search the terms and get familiar with them. washes and dry-brushing are the most basic things to learn aside from putting paint on a model.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Comments in blue

Quote Originally Posted by Lolthien View Post
    Hey guys,

As some of my posts previous have probably shown, I am pretty much brand new at the whole Warhammer thing, and I'm loving it so far.

Welcome to the hobby then You might as well be told now. Once you're in, you're in. The toys now own your soul.

But as a complete newcomer to the world (and never being much of an artiste) I have no idea what a lot of the painting tips are saying. What is a 'wash'.. 'dry brushing'.. 'edge detailing'... things like that.

Washes: Basically a wash is a thinned down paint. When you paint it over the model it wil 'run' into the recesses. This is a very easy way to accomplish shading. As an example you paint a model light blue and then you water down some darker blue and put this over it. As the darker blue has been watered down it will run into the cracks and give the impression of shadows.

Dry brushing. Kind of the reverse of washes really. You paint the bit you want then you drybrush over the colour to get your highlights. Drybrushing is when you take most of the paint off your brush, either with a bit of paper, tissue or your hand (if you're lazy). Then quickly brush this over the colour and the bristles will only touch the 'higher' parts of the model. So if you're doing a cloak it will touch the folds and edges whilst elaving the recesses darker. Giving you a sense of shadows and depth.

Edge detailing. I have no idea what this means.

So my question is: Is there a definitive guide to painting GW models out there any of you suggest? Free tutorials are great if you have them, but I'm not averse to purchasing an official "Start-To-Finish" guide either if you all have some to suggest.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice!

Pop down to your local GW/Hobby store and ask for a tutorial. there are hundreds if not thousands of online tutorials and guides on how to paint but nothing beats seeing it done in real life.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, thanks Lord Borak!

The edge thing was something about the edges of armor 'gleaming' in silver or bronze or something, while the main color of the armor was some other color. Maybe like it had worn the paint of the edges in battle? A lot of the really cool armors seem to have this. I don't know what the actual term is. But I will head down to my local shop and see what they do.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

No worries. Here to help.

That just sounds like it could be highlighting or battle damage.

Highlights are just a lighter shade of the colour placed at certain points. This can either be on the edges or a bit facing the 'light source'. Light sources can either be flames or from the sun (remember we're talking about the models 'sun' here, not our one)

Battle Damage. Easy enough. I paint the bit I want to be damaged Black, then paint it boltgun metal (leaving a little bit of black around the edges) and then put Devlan mud over the top, this makes it look a bit dirty and damaged like.

As I see it. You have 3 steps to painting. Shade - Base colour - Highlight. There's loads of techniques to get all this done and I'm sure everyone has their own ways but, basically that's how you get a model looking realistic.

Other than that make sure you keep things simple and easy. When you're starting out the most important thing to do is to try and be tidy, i.e to get the paint where it belongs and not anywhere else on the model. Do this and then start worrying about shades, highlights, drybrushing and so forth.

+ Reply to Thread